• SONAR
  • Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] (p.18)
2018/04/01 10:28:02
Team Green
Thanks, Meng

I would like a good looper to record into and quantize the audio quickly. Audio Snap is a decent idea but it just doesn't work.

Thanks

2018/04/01 11:47:05
user390096
Wishes:

1. Re-sizable transport screen, especially the record button. Just added a 20" touchscreen to my studio for vocals and drumming (I can sing way better standing up and hit the high notes better). It's mounted to the wall by a nice articulated arm and can be swung up higher than my eyes to help align my throat to release air better. I scroll my lyrics on the screen but can barely hit the record button as it is minuscule on the screen and my average fingers feel gigantic compared to the little on-screen record button. Also, I have my little Roland drums right next to my computer desk and can now swing the touch-screen monitor over my crash cymbal where I can easily touch it to start/stop recording. Again it would be better if the record button were much larger.

2. Ability to edit audio track volume simply by cutting the track before and after the too loud section, and then simply dragging the wave form down to a lower volume.

3. PRV view for midi drums. Instead of little diamonds representing the drums, how about images of tom toms, snares, etc?
2018/04/01 14:23:56
abacab
danardf
A real score edit.

Take a look at Sonic Scores Overture 5.  Cakewalk was recently close to a deal with the developer to add a custom version of that to Sonar, but Gibson shot it down.

https://sonicscores.com/
2018/04/01 14:50:19
abacab
FM

I would like Bandlab to see what FLstudio and Reason are doing. FLstudio is the most popular DAW in the world because of its easy EDM workflow and great step sequencer. Reason is not just a daw, its a full music making environment. If we can take the best features of what makes FLstudio and Reason great and implement this into Sonar's successor it would penetrate big niche markets.

Good point!  Cakewalk was close over a decade ago with a loop-sequencing product called Project 5, but they buried it after v2.5.  It started out as a soft synth workstation and audio/MIDI loop sequencer in v1, but added audio recording and a Groove Matrix to v2.

https://www.soundonsound..../cakewalk-project-5-v2

So it had a little bit of Acid, Reason, FL Studio, and Ableton Live, combined with an easier workflow than Sonar.

It would have taken some work to update it for 64-bit and multi-core CPUs, but the old version I have still runs on Windows 10 64-bit.  I open it every now and then, but I can't use my 64-bit plugins, so I would like to see this rise from the ashes with a refresh!

I recall P5 having a very active online community of its own, that eventually moved on to other things...
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/cakewalk-launches-dedicated-project5-website-373653

Hint: the project5.com domain is available!

This end-user site still works, and contains some useful P5 information and links >> http://project5.technetos.com/

Just look at where Live, FL, & Reason are today. 
2018/04/01 15:04:32
Zargg
I remember trying (don't remember if it was a demo, or at someone else's studio), and was really impressed by p5.
A very inspiring tool/DAW/etc..
All the best.
2018/04/01 17:36:38
biozel
My top-5 features would be based on improving things mostly:

1. Implement common industry standard regarding controlling daw from midi controllers or other surfaces. Right now it is very poor, so to speak.

It is also would be nice to be able to make midi-learn for buttons, knobs and sliders - just like in vsts, but for whole daw.

2. Add midi send to midi tracks. This would simplify layering. So I can have one midi track and easily send it to many synths/instrument tracks

3. Improve support for high dpi. Right now it is pain in the ass to draw automation lines on 4k display, for instance.

4. Step sequencer must become a complete tool that arpeggiator, automation (!) and pattern creation capabilities (suggestions mentions above in this thread are appreciated). Together with item 2 this would make the daw fantastic for electronic music production.

5. In console view a section with level meter must be made resizable. It should be possible to have very long and precise meter and volume slider (makes a loooot of sense on big displays).
2018/04/01 18:31:28
teego
My only request would be to fix whatever it is in Sonar causing random dropouts. I have tried everything to fix it to no avail. I do not have issues with any other daw software (Studio One,Reaper). I would rather use Sonar !
2018/04/01 19:02:04
deswind
Stability 
Color control (i.e. one set of colors for tracks that stays there and applies to new clips without having to pick colors again.  If this risks stability - forget it.
Keep the GUI real similar to what we are use to with Platinum.
THANKS for asking.

2018/04/01 19:09:09
scleland
This whole experience made me aware of one thing. Exporting and archiving does not work well. Many times it just stops with a cryptic message and no possible resolution. So, my request is:

1) Fix OMF output to work consistently. I never got it to work on a single project.
2) Review other options like track dump, it sometimes ignores the multiple takes and you get layers of takes on each track.

Archiving has been an important part of recording since the early days of tape and probably before. A reliable way of archiving and exporting is absolutely essential.

-Scott
2018/04/01 19:11:24
tachan
Improve the Media Browser player. It is very simple and primitive.

We are browsing among thousands of samples, I think it is necessary at least one play , pause, stop buttons and be able to see and jump from one point to another of the waveform.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account