• SONAR
  • Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] (p.24)
2018/04/04 02:38:38
Matt
1) Bring back the button that lets you know if auto-crossfade is on or off.

2) Why did they take this away from me?

3) See #1.

4) I love Sonar.

5) Don't forget #1.
2018/04/04 02:43:03
backwoods
My idea is get two or three people who use Sonar efficiently. Listen to their ideas and ignore the rest of the crap ideas in this internet thread. 
2018/04/04 09:00:37
ete6666
I hope the location of the loaded video file is easy to move. 
and multiple videofile load too
2018/04/04 09:11:35
Piotr
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Piotr, the only reason to use plugin manager today is for making plugin layouts. All other plugin browsing functionality exists in the plugin browser in SONAR so we aren't going to be making any updates to the plugin manager tool. 

Noel, thank you for your answer. Maybe I expressed it wrong way as my English is quite poor and maybe my understanding of internals is not proper.:( Sorry for that.

1. The most concern is Sonar is accidentally losing plugins from its list and sometimes it is really big pain to (re)force it to see it again. And big time waste.
2. Equal annoying is very often during (re)discovering by Sonar scanning function is crashing (in my case often next rescan is also crashing so Sonar restart needed)
3. When crashing during (re)discovering at a plugin it is abandoning further scanning (maybe it should be splitted to different thread/process? ) so list is hardly up-to-date.

What I would expect ? Just After Sonar launch it is able to successfully check ALL plugins in path and maybe those with problems mark as blacklisted (with ability to perform 'manual' check such blacklisted as often it could be false positive).

Maybe algorithm should be split  into 2 parts?
1/ just scan for every dll file in VST paths and prepare list of files what should never crash (with proper error handling even when disk is lost)
2/ check every dll file from prepared list in such way (separate process?) that crashing at any plugin won't crash whole process and stop it but just result in marking such plugin as blacklisted?
3/ Provide easy way to revalidate blacklisted plugins separately (I mean manually point in the blacklist plugin to re-check by Sonar ).

As plugins are important part of workflow it is kind pushing me to S1 :( But I would like to do everything in Sonar as Skylight is simple the best  :)  

2018/04/04 11:09:48
biozel
Toddskins
sonarman1
biozel

1. Implement common industry standard regarding controlling daw from midi controllers or other surfaces. Right now it is very poor, so to speak.

4. Step sequencer must become a complete tool that arpeggiator, automation (!) and pattern creation capabilities (suggestions mentions above in this thread are appreciated). Together with item 2 this would make the daw fantastic for electronic music production.

+1 I feel the same about these 2 points.

Y'know, honestly, an arpeggiator is a skimpy sequencer, which a DAW already is.  Arpeggiators are used, I hate to say it, but by people who do not know how to compose.  It's a neat, quick, automation thing.

So if your arpeggiator is not up to snuff to your tastes, then you simply score out all the notes in the sequencer and you are doing what your arpeggiator was incapable of doing.

I have a Novation Supernova II with an arpeggiator capable of 64-steps in length.  But it turned out for logistics reason, that I preferred to play the arp part of Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" song with my Kurzweil's sequencer, which was programmed to play the drums and percussion, too.  I was then able to play the piano parts LIVE while all the background stuff was going on.

What I'm saying is that a Sequencer has no limits, which is what a DAW is.  The Arp stuff is a kid's fun tool, who wishes to generate neat ideas because he/she does not know how to compose them on his own.

Just take this as a challenge (not an insult) to think beyond the Arp toy.

Toddskins
sonarman1
biozel

1. Implement common industry standard regarding controlling daw from midi controllers or other surfaces. Right now it is very poor, so to speak.

4. Step sequencer must become a complete tool that arpeggiator, automation (!) and pattern creation capabilities (suggestions mentions above in this thread are appreciated). Together with item 2 this would make the daw fantastic for electronic music production.

+1 I feel the same about these 2 points.

Y'know, honestly, an arpeggiator is a skimpy sequencer, which a DAW already is.  Arpeggiators are used, I hate to say it, but by people who do not know how to compose.  It's a neat, quick, automation thing.

So if your arpeggiator is not up to snuff to your tastes, then you simply score out all the notes in the sequencer and you are doing what your arpeggiator was incapable of doing.

I have a Novation Supernova II with an arpeggiator capable of 64-steps in length.  But it turned out for logistics reason, that I preferred to play the arp part of Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" song with my Kurzweil's sequencer, which was programmed to play the drums and percussion, too.  I was then able to play the piano parts LIVE while all the background stuff was going on.

What I'm saying is that a Sequencer has no limits, which is what a DAW is.  The Arp stuff is a kid's fun tool, who wishes to generate neat ideas because he/she does not know how to compose them on his own.

Just take this as a challenge (not an insult) to think beyond the Arp toy.

well, of cause you can do everything in a sequencer. however i'm talking not about being able to do something, but about being productive.
right now you should spend enourmous amount of time to automate something in "arp way".
if Step Sequencer would allow to create (fast) various patterns and apply them - it would save a lot of time.
for example you want a gate trigger on triplets. try to calculate how much do you you need right now to do
that on automation lines.

so its not only about making notes progressions.
2018/04/04 14:52:08
cityrat
Kamikaze
  1. Staff view, update, fixes, New way to draw notes (click and drag to length, ways to make it more accessible such as  time grid option.
  2. Chord Track

Another vote for the above - add offline activation etc.  
Clean up the GUI and get rid of the horrendous waste of space window frames!!!

Oh -and add your AudioStretch to SONAR!!  On the fly like REAPER would be awesome - if you want to make it easier for people to collaborate, being able to slow the song down and play/record (to contribute - call it cheating whatever) would be invaluable.
2018/04/04 15:49:56
LJB
Hi Meng, great to see all this happen so quickly.

a few observations on a more geeky level:
1) Search for Missing Audio should have the option to point the search towards a particular drive as start, then it can cycle back to the other drives - why would I want to search drive C and D if my audio folders are on E?
2) Clean Audio Folder needs a complete revamp - it's clumsy and buggy
3) When pointing a project towards a replacement plugin, Sonar doesn't seem to remember that route when saving and closing.. 
4) When time-stretching etc, a simple Yes To All option would be great when the program asks about discarding hidden data etc. It's ridiculous to click through 200 prompts.. 
5) a plug-in menu when launching in Safe Mode, so that all plugins of a particular type can be disabled globally... to save time when trying to isolate a problematic plug (3d party or otherwise).
6) A Control Centre that can actually handle slower download speeds and can pause downloads. And that can really Download & Install ALL as advertised (it never worked on my system)..
7) Better backward compatibility with older versions of ProChannel plugs so that Splat can reconnect and remember after a fresh install on a new system.
8) Some sort of "portable" Sonar folder that is far easier to reinstall on a new OS when required.

That's all... for now... :O)
2018/04/04 17:55:46
jeremy@cominginsecond.com
Nested track folders. Studio One has 'em. It's the biggest advantage S1 has over Cakewalk at the moment. (Not enough to make me start using S1 as my primary DAW though).
2018/04/04 18:47:31
jreynolds0719
Hello,

Long time Sonar Music creator user, downloaded Platinum this morning. I am having trouble getting it to recognize all 8 inputs from my m-audio mtrack 8 interface, if anyone could shed some light for me.

Thanks,
Joshua
2018/04/04 21:11:32
Svein Egil
Please make Cakewalk for Mac also.!! :-)

Best regards,
Svein Egil.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account