• SONAR
  • Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] (p.73)
2018/12/02 19:50:48
bplabs
Customizable PRV for working with Key-Switched [Articulations] Instruments

2018/12/03 17:26:33
Psychobillybob
There is a serious memory leak in your version...first of all Bandlab assistant ALWAYS starts at least three instances in the task manager...if I close them one by one not much happens until I get to ONLY two left (often there are four instances on starting the program)...

This "feature" leads to Cakewalk.exe "ghosting" meaning it shows up in task manager but does not open the gui or do anything else...when I close Cakewalk.exe in task manager it REFUSES to close...this is known as a memory leak and even if I exit explorer and restart explorer Cakewalk.exe is present doing nothing but eating up 12% of my memory (16gigs)...

I would love to Love Sonar...I have been using it since it Cakewalk came on floppys...but right now my Splat install and my Cakewalk by Bandlab install are absolutely worthless...I do sound design for a living...and I am seriously considering taking a week to relearn logic and ditching the more than 15 years and thousands of dollars I have spent here.
2018/12/03 18:58:43
msmcleod
Psychobillybob
There is a serious memory leak in your version...first of all Bandlab assistant ALWAYS starts at least three instances in the task manager...if I close them one by one not much happens until I get to ONLY two left (often there are four instances on starting the program)...

This "feature" leads to Cakewalk.exe "ghosting" meaning it shows up in task manager but does not open the gui or do anything else...when I close Cakewalk.exe in task manager it REFUSES to close...this is known as a memory leak and even if I exit explorer and restart explorer Cakewalk.exe is present doing nothing but eating up 12% of my memory (16gigs)...

I would love to Love Sonar...I have been using it since it Cakewalk came on floppys...but right now my Splat install and my Cakewalk by Bandlab install are absolutely worthless...I do sound design for a living...and I am seriously considering taking a week to relearn logic and ditching the more than 15 years and thousands of dollars I have spent here.

Three processes named Cakewalk does not equate to three instances. It's just three separate processes.

Exiting Cakewalk in the normal way, closes down the child processes it created and any memory they were using.

Abnormally forcing a shutdown of one process that may be responsible for shutting down the others is not a memory leak.

Unless Cakewalk is eating up increasing amount memory sitting there idle, then it's not leaking memory.
2018/12/03 19:18:23
scook
From the description provided BandLab Assistant appears to be working correctly. To add to the previous post, BandLab Assistant does not have to run all the time. Killing parts of the BandLab process in the task manager is not a good idea. BandLab has an option to shut on the menu launched by the gear in the upper left of the UI. This menu also has an option to prevent BandLab from launching automatically at startup. Use these to control BA instead of the the task manager.
2018/12/03 21:44:59
Psychobillybob
msmcleod

Three processes named Cakewalk does not equate to three instances. It's just three separate processes.

Exiting Cakewalk in the normal way, closes down the child processes it created and any memory they were using.

Abnormally forcing a shutdown of one process that may be responsible for shutting down the others is not a memory leak.

Unless Cakewalk is eating up increasing amount memory sitting there idle, then it's not leaking memory.

First of all, it is three processes of Bandlab assistant...

Secondly, Cakewalk.exe does the typical "continuous load splash screen" nonsense about 75% of the time I load it...this is running it from Start menu, running it from folder, running it from shortcut, running it with elevated privilege...pretty much 3 out of four times I go to load SonarSplat/or Cakewalk by Bandlab I get the splash screen (smaller box that indicates it is loading) and it friggin HANGS there until I come back 30 minutes latter and kill it in task manager.

It consumes my display screen space and you cannot minimize it or even see any other program since it maintains screen priority...

Third I know its a memory leak because I have loaded it in debug mode into VS...besides the fact that whe I end "Cakewalk.exe" in taskmanager
IT DOES NOT END AND CONTINUES REGARDLESS OF RELOADING EXPLORER/ETC...

Fourth:When in this state of perpetual existence inside of task manager it IS USING 12% of available memory in spite of no splash screen, no program actually doing anything at all...just a "Cakewalk.exe" task with no corresponding splash/program running.

So yeah memory leak...

I've had this DAW for 5 years it has run fine and I am updated on ALL Microsoft drivers/etc...Win 7 64 bit.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am not a novice and have been using this software for years...since the company folded it has been crap, no real support, no real help...I get it, we're lucky they even released a version at all, but I have paid for versions that has gone south since the company went belly up.

2018/12/03 22:00:03
KPerry
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome).  The hanging SONAR/CbB splash screen is almost certainly a separate issue: not blaming your system per se, but it's not a common issue or we'd have heard more about it here...  I assume you've done all the usual like rename aud.ini, open in safe mode (hold shift) etc?
2018/12/03 22:20:07
Psychobillybob
Yes, I've spent more time trying to open Splat/BLCake than I care to admit...backed up and changed, uninstalled, re-installed...just about the time I get it to run the midi disappears...I miss the old days.

Thanks for your response...the only thing I have not done is a full uninstall and registry clean out...thats next but I need to make sure all my credentials/authorizations are intact...UAD/vsts/Softube/Kontakt re-authorizations usually takes an entire day to get through.

I went so far as to buy a new SSD replacement hard-drive (bigger than the last one) to mirror everything before I start.

You can appreciate my reluctance to get to "handsy" with this...it will be all or nothing by the end of it.
2018/12/04 11:29:07
pwalpwal
KPerry
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome). 

seems a bit overkill for such a small utility app
2018/12/05 10:03:27
Psychobillybob
pwalpwal
KPerry
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome). 

seems a bit overkill for such a small utility app

Lazy coding...rush to market, don't really dev anything just cobble together some crap in Visual Basic and slap it on a web page.

Hard to take this program serious anymore.
2018/12/05 16:26:42
fresh101
Feature request= Plugin menu sub folder/categories.

for instance, inside your synth folder you could make your own folders for your analog, wavetable, FM, subtractive synths, etc.
Or similarly for EQ types, and the like.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account