• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.17)
2018/04/04 18:27:38
scook
AFAIK, it is the same feature set as Platinum 2017.10 with at least one new feature to replace an existing track with a track template.
2018/04/04 18:59:48
Midiboy
andyjobson85
scook

BandLab Cakewalk installs like a SONAR upgrade

This is the most useful statement I've seen on the subject...

Kind of confirms that if you want all of the plugins/instruments/prochannel modules that you had in Platinum, you still need Platinum installed..

I wonder if that will change in future?

This really isn't entirely true though.  Even though it does import some settings...not all...for example...it doesn't import your folder locations at all.  
2018/04/04 19:00:23
pentimentosound
I opened BL and ran a scan. So now I have 715 of the 821 plugins. I'll check to see what's missing.
I totally agree with julianochrisway, scook and aidanodr are great at answering/helping!

Michael
2018/04/04 19:16:47
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
FCCfirstclass
What a wonderful way to wake up this AM.  The first Cakewalk download is ready.
I also see that the Cakewalk store is back up and running for buying products.

Hi you can't buy anything on the Cakewalk site. Its up for legacy reasons only for now.
2018/04/04 19:20:02
Mr. torture
I have platinum lifetime, can I just keep using what I have, or will I eventually have to download the Bandlab version?

Platinum will never be updated. If you want the new features we will continue to add you will need to download the BandLab version which is free. You should leave the Platinum version installed since Cakewalk by BandLab is the core program with minimal add ons. It will use all the external components you had as part of the platinum collection.
2018/04/04 19:21:13
chris.r
Since I'm on 32bit, I can't check it out myself... Is there anything function-wise missing inside the new Sonar/Cakewalk ie. the CAL, the Tube prochannel, audiosnap etc?

Feature set is identical to Platinum and all the stock prochannel modules are included.
2018/04/04 19:28:22
Kamm Schreiner
BJZ
I wouldn't. SONAR Platinum comes with plugs *not* in Cakewalk by Bandlab. Unistalling SONAR Platinum will remove those plugins.

JMO.

I definitely won't unless I hear otherwise from Noel or Meng. I'm hoping there is (or will be) a way to remove all the stuff from the SONAR Platinum installation that is no longer needed without removing the plugins. I'd like to free up disk space, but it isn't a big deal to me. Not that much wasted space, really.

Its a bit tricky since its not easy to uninstall platinum but leave just the plugins and shared content. If you uninstall platinum it will take aware some shared stuff and damage the new Cakewalk install (a flaw in the platinum uninstaller). Its easily fixed by reinstalling Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) but then you will be missing some of the extra platinum bundled content like Addictive drums etc.
If you use the platinum extras then the easiest thing is to just leave your platinum installation alone. CbB will automatically use all the extra plugins from there.
The thumb rule is if you are a Platinum user then do the minimal install of CbB since you won't need the extras. At least for this first version.

Removing the platinum executables wont really save you much space so its not worth the bother.
2018/04/04 19:37:30
Larry Jones
Thanks Noel. Good to have advice straight from the CTO.
2018/04/04 19:47:45
davidmusic53
I just downloaded it to my PC and seems to work ok. did not find some of my vst's even though I duplicated the locations from the my current PLAT directory to the new bandLab version of PLAT. Will play with it and see how it goes.
2018/04/04 19:47:48
stickman393
Is this Win 64 only? Or is it just the Bandlab Assistant that requires Win 64? 
Is it possible to install a 32-bit version of Cakewalk_By_BandLab ?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account