• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.21)
2018/04/04 20:58:29
bapu
andyjobson85
joegab
I noticed that the Bandlab Assistant loads as windows starts.

Are we "obliged" to keep Bandlab Assistant as autostartup or can we disable it?

Thanks,

Giorgio

It also puts a shortcut on your desktop (urgh).. It's rude that it doesn't ask you during installation..

To stop it starting up on boot, it can be removed from the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value: "BandLab Assistant.app"

After you all remove it, in three months you'll come back asking why you haven't been notified that there is an update.

There is just no pleasing some people.
2018/04/04 20:59:53
bapu
noiseboy

Assuming that to be the case, I'm best off installing Producer first, then Core.

Correct.
2018/04/04 21:00:57
Mark D.
joegabAre we "obliged" to keep Bandlab Assistant as auto start-up or can we disable it?

Great question. A few more for Noel and Band Lab staff. I plan to do a side by side install, treat it just like a normal update for Sonar Platinum Lifetime I had before. I'd had the latest update when it ended.

Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

PLEASE consider the first updates or two to be improving its workflow over snazzy stuff. I'm fine with it not having bloatware as most of what I use is 3rd party stuff I bought, and lack for no effects / synths.

MOST IMPORTANT. The first thing to fix is to give us the ability to "Find FX" - I will explain. You install version 1 of a third party VST (EQ, Comp, whatever). You save a bundle you used that in for archiving.

You go to open the Bundle (or Project File) years later when you have version 3 of that installed and it gives you the error message that it can't find that version 1. Sure, you can go get the version 3 of it & add that to your project in its place. However, gone will be the settings & you may have to remix it all.

Simply having a BROWSE button where you pick the latest version, and having Cakewalk permanently look to that new place for the effect (for instances of the VST in the song and every other old song I'd reopen) would be huge. It may not be easy, but doing this will add longevity to our old archived work.

I know the code is different in newer versions, but preset management generally grandfathers, so you should be able to open that version 3 of "Whatever Gold EQ" and have the knob settings go where they did in version 1. Giving your version of Cakewalk the ability to do that would fix a decades old issue.
2018/04/04 21:03:33
scook
eikelbijter

My question is: will you keep the activation server for the old Platinum and CCC going?

This has been asked and answered several times over the last few weeks. The activation servers are running and the Command Center still works.
2018/04/04 21:06:17
joegab
Mmm, being notified for updates is good.
Running every windows boot an extra application is not so nice, in my opinion.

Anyway let's see what will happen in the future (then I will eventually disable it...).

Another small thing I saw: bandlab assistant (the installer) downloaded the 2 big Sonar, opps, Cakewalk Bandlab files into the \Downloads folder without telling me where the files were downloaded.... I usually like more to understand and eventually choose where to download files, but this is a minor problem.....

Thanks,

Giorgio
2018/04/04 21:06:17
Keni
pentimentosound
I am stuck in "installing" on both my laptop and desktop.... have been for hours (while I dealt with boatloads of snow!!LOL and then lunch).
Should I start over?

I didn't see any progress bar BTW

Michael

Progress bar hidden underneat other windows
2018/04/04 21:10:20
scook
Mark D.
Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

This would a problem with the scanner. Platinum and CbL use the same scanner but have their own VST Inventories and scan path settings. No need to reinstall.

Mark D.
Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

The plug-in layouts use the same format. They need to be copied from the SONAR layout folder into the CbL layout folder or use the "Plug-in Layouts" setting Preferences > File > Folder Locations to point to the same layout folder.

2018/04/04 21:10:56
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Skyline_UK
I'm thinking of buying a new PC. On that new PC, can I just install CbB straight from the BandLab installer?  You seem to be saying Noel, that the BandLab installer needs to rely on a previous Sonar Platinum being present to work properly?
John

No it functions standalone. The only reason I mentioned keeping Platinum was if you were using some of the 3rd party bundled plugins or content from there which aren't in CbB. In the future you will see more of the stock Cakewalk plugins and instruments come online as well.
If you already have a bunch of third party plugins you use there is no need to have platinum anymore. Just install CbB and your plugins and you should be all set.
2018/04/04 21:18:45
Zonked
Anyone get the error message "BandLab Assistant has stopped working etc" after trying install? I'm on Windows 10 64bit, Avast AV disabled (couldn't install BLA with Avast running). Cheers!
2018/04/04 21:22:12
michael diemer
ampfixer
Sorry to say I'm not going to Bandlab. You're giving away something that I put a LOT of money into over the years. That's a slap in the face to me and a pat on the back to those who have been using hacked copies for years.

All I care about at this point is how will I access my licensed - PRE Bandlab - software should I need to reinstall it. 

Not entirely true. I went from 8.5 Studio/Producer to CWBL, and I only have what came in the free version I just installed, plus plug-ins from 8.5. No Studio Instruments, for example. So if you paid for Platinum, you still came out ahead of me. I agree with you about the people running hacked versions. I would feed them to Jabba The Hut.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account