• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.22)
2018/04/04 21:25:42
RajahP
Sorry if this has been asked before.... But, Can we uninstall 'old' Sonar Platinum installed without compromising 'new' Cakewalk by BandLab?  
2018/04/04 21:32:32
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Mark D.
Great question. A few more for Noel and Band Lab staff. 

>>Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm >>hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

You misunderstood. No need to reinstall if you install BbB and leave your Plat install alone.

>>Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins >>in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

You mean plugin layouts? Those are files so you can copy them over from your Platinum install to CbB manually.
They are stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

>>PLEASE consider the first updates or two to be improving its workflow over snazzy stuff. I'm fine with it not >>having bloatware as most of what I use is 3rd party stuff I bought, and lack for no effects / synths.

There is no "bloatware". CbB is essentially the Platinum app and some plugins. Keep in mind that we have to also consider new users who don't have a ton of 3rd party stuff. The two new updates in BbB are workflow related...

>>MOST IMPORTANT. The first thing to fix is to give us the ability to "Find FX" - I will explain. You install version 1 of a third party VST (EQ, Comp, whatever). You save a bundle you used that in for archiving. 

In practice this isn't really possible to do consistently. Even if we allowed you to locate an effect that replaces something that is missing the new effect would NOT understand the old settings so you would be left with a default setting. Not very useful. If its the same plugin you are replacing then we already have a mechanism for that that we use with Overloud plugins. However I do see your point that a replace plugin feature could be useful. and "might" work sometimes.

2018/04/04 21:33:24
scook
RajahP
Sorry if this has been asked before.... But, Can we uninstall 'old' Sonar Platinum installed without compromising 'new' Cakewalk by BandLab?  

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3744476

2018/04/04 21:33:26
michael diemer
Thank you so much Meng and the Bandlab Team. Fantastic job. Also thanks, of course to, Noel. Once I got control of myself, and downloaded and installed it on the right computer, it all went smoothly (In my haste I tried to download it on my Linux computer, which didn't work. Duh). Opened my first piece, which was from 8.5 Studio, and it opened perfectly, pulling in everything for a full orchestra piece. Amazing. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Home Studio version awhile back, so I was familiar with it and hit the ground running. Tremendous accomplishment. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that this is a truly wonderful thing you guys have done. If only the rest of the world could work this way...

2018/04/04 21:33:43
Kamm Schreiner
RajahP

It's been asked before (by me ;-) ) and the answer is no. The short and skinny of it is: Don't uninstall it. It will cause problems.

Update: I should add that I'm referring to uninstalling AFTER install CbB. You can uninstall SPLAT before installing CbB, but you'll lose a lot of plugins.
2018/04/04 21:34:47
RajahP

If you uninstall you will lose any of the platinum exclusive bundled plugins. If you are ok with that then its ok but you will have to reinstall the CbB program since the platinum uninstaller may also remove some other needed components. You may be ok if you respond with NO to removing shared components however...
2018/04/04 21:38:08
bodhi65
Hi,
Thanks for the great roll out.  I can not seem to find the Anderton Collection or the 30th anniversary collection in my new Cakewalk BL install.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Alan
2018/04/04 21:39:13
marled
In the future you will see more of the stock Cakewalk plugins and instruments come online as well.

Thanks for the information (and for your work), Noel! That's great! They will also be free? Unbelievable!

Marc
2018/04/04 21:43:26
Kamm Schreiner
Kamm Schreiner
I definitely won't unless I hear otherwise from Noel or Meng. I'm hoping there is (or will be) a way to remove all the stuff from the SONAR Platinum installation that is no longer needed without removing the plugins. I'd like to free up disk space, but it isn't a big deal to me. Not that much wasted space, really.

Its a bit tricky since its not easy to uninstall platinum but leave just the plugins and shared content. If you uninstall platinum it will take aware some shared stuff and damage the new Cakewalk install (a flaw in the platinum uninstaller). Its easily fixed by reinstalling Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) but then you will be missing some of the extra platinum bundled content like Addictive drums etc.
If you use the platinum extras then the easiest thing is to just leave your platinum installation alone. CbB will automatically use all the extra plugins from there.
The thumb rule is if you are a Platinum user then do the minimal install of CbB since you won't need the extras. At least for this first version.

Removing the platinum executables wont really save you much space so its not worth the bother.

Thanks for answering that for me, Noel. The answer is what I expected but I figured I'd ask to be certain.
2018/04/04 21:44:54
HARDDRlVER
10 hours since the announcement, more than 210 replies in 14 pages so far.
Wow!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account