• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.25)
2018/04/04 22:46:51
kmarriott
Hi folks, firstly thank you for saving Sonar! But.. Downloaded the bandlab assistant and Avast antivirus says it is infected and moved it to a virus chest. So, I'm not sure whether it is safe to install.

Also: why only a 64bit version? I have stuck to the 32bit version of Sonar for many years because a lot of the older plugins I use (and like) are 32bit.  You actually say in the post that most of the older Sonar plugins will work in the new free version but I don't think they will if they are 32bit.

Lastly, if you are replacing command centre with bandlab assistant does that mean people can not reactivate their old Cakewalk software - including the 32bit of Sonar that was purchased?
2018/04/04 22:47:40
kmarriott
Hi folks, firstly thank you for saving Sonar! But.. Downloaded the bandlab assistant and Avast antivirus says it is infected and moved it to a virus chest. So, I'm not sure whether it is safe to install.

Also: why only a 64bit version? I have stuck to the 32bit version of Sonar for many years because a lot of the older plugins I use (and like) are 32bit.  You actually say in the post that most of the older Sonar plugins will work in the new free version but I don't think they will if they are 32bit.

Lastly, if you are replacing command centre with bandlab assistant does that mean people can not reactivate their old Cakewalk software - including the 32bit of Sonar that was purchased?
2018/04/04 22:49:58
craigr68
JoeGBradford
I got this message when I tried to run Bandlab Assistant - I assume I can ignore this?!  Windows Defender 'SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.'

I got that message too.  I googled the message and found various info to get around it.  In my case, it wouldn't let me install CbB until I opened Windows Defender Security Settings --> App and browser control-> Check apps and files and changed it from Block to Warn (or you can turn it off altogether).  I ran into this recently trying to install another app and I don't know when this got turned on, but I'm thinking the last Windows Update may have played a role.  Anyway, after making this change, I installed CbB with no problems.  It still warned me, but allowed me to continue with the install.

https://www.pcworld.com/a...een-in-windows-10.html
2018/04/04 22:50:56
pentimentosound
@tobiaslindahl   Yup. I agree, but I have calmed down now! LOL I got carried away with sales/deals and now see the folly of it.
It would be nice to know if the missing 107 are gone because of the 32 bit thing.
Michael

2018/04/04 22:54:53
scook
kmarriott

AVast has complained about previous Cakewalk installers in the past. They required temporarily suspending AVast to install. Maintaining a 32 bit version in addition to the 64 bit version is a cost BandLab did not want to take on (small dev team and free product). The activation process has not changed for legacy products.
2018/04/04 23:04:35
Midiboy
I just find it amazing that it's free.  How do you do it?  Where does Bandlab make it's money to keep this stuff coming? (not that I'm complaining!!)
2018/04/04 23:08:12
THERAPSMITH
Thanks!!
2018/04/04 23:15:00
whattarush
Downloaded and Installed with no hiccups. Had to add my 3rd party VST folders to see my UAD plugins and reset my default project folder location. It's working great. Thanks to the entire BandLab Team!!!
2018/04/04 23:17:51
sonarjeff
I just installed the new Cakewalk by Bandlab and saw under "about cakewalk" that it displays a membership valid through date of 10/3/2018 
Will there will be membership renewal fees coming in six months?  
It's a nice free upgrade from my Sonar Artist. Sure am happy that Cakewalk is alive and well again. 
Thank you very much Meng!
2018/04/04 23:21:44
msmcleod
As mentioned in a previous post, my laptop install of BL Cakewalk went without a hitch.

However, on my desktop machines (which are far less cluttered with respect to other stuff being installed) wasn't quite as smooth:

1. Although my Wave and Picture directories were migrated over, none of the other directories were migrated from SPLAT (e.g. projects / templates directory etc, and also VST directories). I had to go back in and manually set all the directories and rescan all my plugins. This didn't happen on my laptop install.

2. BandLab assistant seems to download two files: cakewalk.exe and instruments.exe. The instruments.exe file download was a different size in all of my installs (i.e. between my laptop (win10), my desktop (win10 boot & win 7 boot).

3. The cakewalk install started installing before the instruments.exe had fully downloaded - I could see the filesize increase as it was installing the main Cakewalk files. In my case, this probably isn't an issue since I've got everything there from SPLAT. Maybe it's because I've got these instruments already installed that it decided to go ahead with the install and at some point abandon the instruments.exe download - but it's probably worth looking into.

Despite the above, they're all working perfectly now and I'm more than happy with the new Cakewalk - a big thanks to Meng, Noel and the team.

M.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account