• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.37)
2018/04/05 19:50:03
Whistlekiller
MakerDP
scook
MakerDP
Waiting to see how much the NEXT update will cost when it comes out... and if this version will stop working when it does.

Meh... maybe not. I've moved on.

Also, why would you even want to install this when you already have the latest SPLAT if there is no new content, LESS content even? Were there bug fixes?

Thanks for stopping by.

The NEXT update won't cost a thing from http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236
meng
Platform and future product updates will continue to be free, just like BandLab - innovation must push forward!

But don't expect Rapture Pro for example to be free when it is re-released :-) (except for those that have bought it before in some way or form and have already created a BandLab account)

Yes, there were updates in this release mentioned in the OP.

Bye for now.

OK well thanks for the reply and the pointer to the post but if that is going to be the model... free tools for the users of BandLab's main offering... well where's the incentive to make this the best DAW on the market beyond the point Meng sells-out or launches the new model?

As far as I can tell, BandLab is going with the Facebook/YouTube model... make it all free-and-clear and then when the user base is big enough and hooked enough, sell advertisements, sell product advancements (ranked higher on searches, guaranteed hits in "random" playlists, etc.), user "subscriptions" that allow bypassing ads, sell mined profile data/targeted ads and then launch a big IPO or hope some larger company buys it out.

If and when that doesn't all work out? Well Cakewalk is once again kaput and the users are desperately hoping someone else will bail the product out yet again.

If I were using Cakewalk to make a living (I'm not) then I would give up for good and go with something in which you have at least reasonable security that it will be around for a while.

If I were making music for a living (I'm not) then I'd not be so naive as to limit myself to only one or two DAWs in the first place, the same as I wouldn't with any other possible redundancies. Reasonable security no longer exists in the IT world unless you're Microsoft. For the amateur like me, BandLab is a breath of fresh air.
2018/04/05 19:53:21
mkerl
bitflipper
 Hab Geduld.

Das geht ja gar nich :) :) :) 
2018/04/05 19:56:38
MakerDP
Keni
Nothing is secure! Anything can change!

I totally agree with that but you have to admit, BandLab right now is nothing but pure e-commerce startup speculation! There are currently NO revenue streams for it other than a $40 phone audio interface.

Meng is not doing this out of some altruistic hippie-like love of creating communities for musicians to share their work!

2018/04/05 20:00:44
MakerDP
Whistlekiller
If I were making music for a living (I'm not) then I'd not be so naive as to limit myself to only one or two DAWs in the first place, the same as I wouldn't with any other possible redundancies.

I'm not sure what your point is here...
2018/04/05 20:06:32
Whistlekiller
MakerDP
Keni

I totally agree with that but you have to admit, BandLab right now is nothing but pure e-commerce startup speculation! There are currently NO revenue streams for it other than a $40 phone audio interface.

Meng is not doing this out of some altruistic hippie-like love of creating communities for musicians to share their work!

In which case you'd better not buy into anything ever again,from anybody, as they're all obviously out for themselves and not telling the truth. I used to set power presses for a living and I'm pretty pleased that the salesmen in our company said it as it was and managed to convince customers that we were doing a good job. Saved us all from the dole.
2018/04/05 20:13:59
mkerl
MakerDP
Keni

Maybe he'll come up with a revolutionary marketing model for professional produced music? It makes no sense to offer this full featured award winning DAW to an online community of homebased singer / songwriters only. Just Hoping for ads. 
Don't know.
However

Cheers :) :) 
2018/04/05 20:14:54
MarianoGF
I guess the DAW will always be for free (with the basic plugins) and that's great. Something like BandLab gives you the "Artist" version for free. What you will have to pay for is every advanced plugin, instrument or pack you want to become "Professional" or "Platinum". That is what I guess, maybe I'm wrong.
2018/04/05 20:15:15
bitflipper
mkerl
bitflipper
 Hab Geduld.

Das geht ja gar nich :) :) :) 

I get it. This bunch has the patience of a 3-year-old. But I totally get it.

Regarding the loss of the Powr-N dither options, I didn't even notice that until someone pointed it out to me. The reason: I haven't used SONAR for dithering in many years. My primary mastering limiters are Pro-L and Ozone, both of which offer their own dither options. As do most of the more popular limiters, e.g. Elephant and L2.

2018/04/05 20:23:46
texasaurus rex
Meng has been 100% honest and straightforward up to this point, and who wouldn't be excited to roll out an awesome DAW?!  Sometimes that New Yorker thing needs to chill; that was close to a personal attack on someone that has done nothing but help everyone on this forum. We got "burned" by Gibson...the OLD Cakewalk is history, part of the past. The NEW Cakewalk By BandLab is part of the future, is free to use, and apparently has some young blood chomping at the bit , making an effort. Isn't that better than a stale corporate model like Gibson? I f you just don't want to use the DAW, then don't., but  basing your decision on Meng's enthusiastic roll out of the new DAW seems unfair. BTW, I also use Studio One 3, it was my secondary to SONAR. I like it, but they also have a sales pitch for upgrades and extras going 24/7. They didn't offer me an upgrade deal of much value, so we went with the FULL Samplitude Pro X3 crossgrade offer which was the same price. My big hope was that Cakewalk would survive, looks like it has. If you were a daily user of SONAR, as we are, it's great to have a version that works, has future support. Thanks, Meng and everyone at BandLab!
2018/04/05 20:23:54
MakerDP
Whistlekiller
MakerDP
Keni

In which case you'd better not buy into anything ever again,from anybody, as they're all obviously out for themselves and not telling the truth. I used to set power presses for a living and I'm pretty pleased that the salesmen in our company said it as it was and managed to convince customers that we were doing a good job. Saved us all from the dole.

LOL ok... you are totally missing the point. This isn't about whether or not he's telling the truth. I have no doubt that HE intends to live up to what he's saying. But what if he sells-out or his speculation fails? Are you so quick to remember the hundreds of dollars people lost with the "lifetime updates" fiasco?

Use BandLab, Cakewalk by BandLab, some freeware LINUX DAW you downloaded off of GitHub, whatever floats your boat... I don't really care. But there is WAY more going on with this than you and most others posting here are willing to realize and in my opinion, there is little incentive to make Cakewalk the "best" DAW on the market once his business model is fully realized.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account