• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.38)
2018/04/05 20:25:13
scook
MarianoGF
I guess the DAW will always be for free (with the basic plugins) and that's great. Something like BandLab gives you the "Artist" version for free. What you will have to pay for is every advanced plugin, instrument or pack you want to become "Professional" or "Platinum". That is what I guess, maybe I'm wrong.

That is the plan but you will not be asked to re-purchase plug-ins you already have.
2018/04/05 20:26:35
mkerl
bitflipper
mkerl
bitflipper
 Hab Geduld.

Das geht ja gar nich :) :) :) 

I get it. This bunch has the patience of a 3-year-old. But I totally get it.

For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. [William Shakespeare]

cheers 
2018/04/05 20:29:01
MakerDP
mkerl
MakerDP
Keni
Nothing is secure! Anything can change!

I totally agree with that but you have to admit, BandLab right now is nothing but pure e-commerce startup speculation! There are currently NO revenue streams for it other than a $40 phone audio interface.

Meng is not doing this out of some altruistic hippie-like love of creating communities for musicians to share their work!

Maybe he'll come up with a revolutionary marketing model for professional produced music? It makes no sense to offer this full featured award winning DAW to an online community of homebased singer / songwriters only. Just Hoping for ads. 
Don't know.
However

Cheers :) :) 

You could be right. But it sure worked for Facebook, YouTube and Google!

2018/04/05 20:32:02
Jon Bryson
Well, I have to admit I'm intrigued by what they're doing here.  My thought after Cakewalk folded is that it wouldn't matter if someone else picked it up.  If they weren't making money prior to that they certainly lost a large portion of their users almost immediately after they stopped development to the many offers from other DAW makers.  I didn't think they could be profitable under any standard business model.  So that someone is taking this and trying something completely different - I wish them all the best and truly hope it succeeds. 

I did move on but will also keep whatever latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab installed and see how it pans out. 

In the mean time I'm still making music.
2018/04/05 20:33:12
Jon Bryson
I for one would never have predicted that Facebook, YouTube or Google would have been so widely successful (and profitable).
2018/04/05 20:35:25
Kamm Schreiner
mkerl
I still use windows phone :) :) :) Have an android crap thing too, I don't like it.

But to be serious - I wouldt compare Bandlab to YouTube. That means, they need content. Why not give users a great tool to create? The outstanding feature of Bandlab is to collaborate. I think, some users will be overchallenged with this new approach.

Cheers :) 

I begrudgingly switched to Android from Windows Phone.

I'm not sure that we even disagree from reading what you just said (not sure I understand what you mean), but my point is that we live in a different world than when all software was paid for, you got updates free and then paid for the next upgrade. I brought up in a post a long time ago that I suspected that Cakewalk had a tough time selling SPLAT because there were free and "almost free" alternatives that were pretty darn good. That was pooh-poohed. I still think that to be the case. (We'll never know for sure unless Noel sets the record straight. Did I say that out loud?) I suspect the only model that will work in today's world is the give the DAW away and charge for add-ons approach. Personally, I hope for Meng's success and am thankful that he's taken over SPLAT.
2018/04/05 20:40:27
Keni
MakerDP
Keni

I totally agree with that but you have to admit, BandLab right now is nothing but pure e-commerce startup speculation! There are currently NO revenue streams for it other than a $40 phone audio interface.

Meng is not doing this out of some altruistic hippie-like love of creating communities for musicians to share their work!

Also a large retail sales network and Rolling Stone magazine I believe?
2018/04/05 20:46:09
losguy
bitflipper
I get it. This bunch has the patience of a 3-year-old. But I totally get it.

And in my case at least, the attention span of a goldfish...

bitflipper
Regarding the loss of the Powr-N dither options, I didn't even notice that until someone pointed it out to me. The reason: I haven't used SONAR for dithering in many years. My primary mastering limiters are Pro-L and Ozone, both of which offer their own dither options. As do most of the more popular limiters, e.g. Elephant and L2.

Great point! I do have Elephant (a very nice mastering limiter) and though I had heard the dither is really good in there, I had never used it for that purpose, mainly because I could just select PowR dither at the Export -> Audio stage. This will be agreat excuse for me to delve into that feature further - maybe the rest of us have great dithering options hidden inside some plugs, just waiting to be dusted off. (Or maybe we could just force everybody else in the world to listen to their audio at 64-bit floating point? ;)
2018/04/05 20:55:38
mkerl
MakerDP
mkerl
MakerDP
Keni

Maybe he'll come up with a revolutionary marketing model for professional produced music? It makes no sense to offer this full featured award winning DAW to an online community of homebased singer / songwriters only. Just Hoping for ads. 
Don't know.
However

Cheers :) :) 

You could be right. But it sure worked for Facebook, YouTube and Google!

But it's a bit different. Facebook wants your personal information to deal with, as well as google does. Youtube buildts on creative content, no need for professional quality, authentical presentation wins, besides pranks, boobs, cat- videos . . . . Youtube will never reach the professional level of hollywood productions, cause it's extrem expensive to work on that level. So, know Meng wants to redefine the musicworld with Bandlab. Sonar (CbB) is professional level and you don't need that much equipment to make professional music even for Hollywood film scores, if you know how to do it. It's more a question of skills.
I mean, online social media and professional media producing (video, music) are different worlds. Splat is professional, no social media app. So, what the heck is he (Meng) looking for?

Cheers :) 
2018/04/05 20:58:44
NunoP
Amazing.
This is the future!

I am proud of watching a new era of music creation being born
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account