• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.39)
2018/04/05 21:09:59
mkerl
Kamm Schreiner
mkerl
I still use windows phone :) :) :) Have an android crap thing too, I don't like it.

But to be serious - I wouldt compare Bandlab to YouTube. That means, they need content. Why not give users a great tool to create? The outstanding feature of Bandlab is to collaborate. I think, some users will be overchallenged with this new approach.

Cheers :) 

. . . my point is that we live in a different world than when all software was paid for, you got updates free and then paid for the next upgrade. I brought up in a post a long time ago that I suspected that Cakewalk had a tough time selling SPLAT because there were free and "almost free" alternatives that were pretty darn good. 

Yeah times are changing, that's true, Cakewalk tried this Membership-model, Adobe and Microsoft are even more radical with their Abo-models. But I was always  looking at Splat as competitor to cubase, logic, digital performer and others, these are all still using the oldschool paid upgrade path . . .

Cheers 
2018/04/05 21:14:20
ØSkald
It late night here in Norway, so i just played through 2 projects, and it works fine. Now i am happy.
Glad it didn't uninstall previous Sonar, because its always good to have a backup for now.
I also think that Cakewalk is the best name, since this is the legacy.
Congratulation to BandLab and congratulation to the Cakewalk community.

2018/04/05 21:30:25
igiwigi
aidanodr
igiwigi
Hi
My view Is you get nothing for free and I am a little confused here.
There has got to be a payment somewhere down the line.

Do I now unload the Sonar Platinum Cakewalk centre and uninstall all my stuff to reload with Bandlab assistant.??

If I use the Bandlab assistant  and log in with facebook or Google, then all and sundrae can download a £400 program for free!!!! So where is the profit for Bandlab.
Surely the previous owners of Platinum will have a personal codes to enter.
I do not want to make a mistake on my new computer or mess up what I already have, so i need to be sure of what Is going on.

Surely only previous owners of Sonar can download this product and not open to all.
I keep hearing the word free and there has got to be a catch somewhere.TELL ME!!!.
I am not doubting Bandlabs Intentions, but I need some clarity and steps to take before being happy.

All the Best
John

No .. leave your SPLAT as is and CCC

Just load the BL Assistant app ( login with your Bandlab Account ) and install BL Cakewalk ONLY. Do not install the optional instruments, you have those already. BL Cakewalk installs in its own directory under program files seperate from SPLAT.

When creating a Bnadlab account use the same email address that you used for here - Cakewalk legacy account. Going forward this shows BL what software you bought from Cakewalk so as to probably offer paid upgrades to previous owners of those extra plugins you might own like Rapture, Z3TA etc. These were never going to be free anyway

Hi

Big thanks for the Info.I will see where all this goes now

All the best
John
2018/04/05 21:52:16
vanceen
It installed on my C: drive without giving me the option for another location. Don't care much for that. I guess I'll need to set up some junction folders.
2018/04/05 22:15:50
mumpcake
scook
MarianoGF
I guess the DAW will always be for free (with the basic plugins) and that's great. Something like BandLab gives you the "Artist" version for free. What you will have to pay for is every advanced plugin, instrument or pack you want to become "Professional" or "Platinum". That is what I guess, maybe I'm wrong.

That is the plan but you will not be asked to re-purchase plug-ins you already have.

Yes you will.  My inbox is full of messages from vendors asking me to buy things I already have.

However, you won't be required to repurchase your old toys.
2018/04/05 22:20:14
Studio-ES
The software world is constantly changing. Look at the monthly-payment subscription model Adobe introduced years ago. Most people (other than businesses) don't want to pay $500 or $2000 for a piece of software, so a monthly-payment subscription plan may be the only option. Hacked software has been a problem for decades and has resulted in these new authorization methods that have become so complicated, many users wish they had never bought the software in the first place. (i.e.-Waves). Look at iOS, users complain about the cost of $10 soft-synths on iOS that compete with $300 synths on the desktop. Lots of developers there have moved to the monthly-payment subscription plan even for really inexpensive apps! The top DAW on iOS was free for a week to get more people onboard and hopefully to buy their sample-packs (Intua Beatmaker 3). The prices for top iOS apps like Cubasis & Auria Pro drop more often than stuff on Amazon. PPG, SugarBytes, etc apps on iOS with all of the functionality of their desktop apps, except they cost 90% less. Or even less during the many sales during the year in the Apple Store.

I like what Bandlab are doing. I haven't tried their iOS app yet, but it seems similar to SoundCloud from years ago, plus some things from Korg Gadget Cloud. It's free model is yet another model that many iOS DAW/Groovebox developers have adopted (Roli Noise, Auxy, Figure) where there's a community of music producers and the money-making is in the add-ons (IAPs and sample-banks).

Oh, and with the recent Facebook, Google, privacy scares, malware, etc, it's understandable if people are concerned with free software that seems too good to be true. I certainly was, so I do what I always do, install the software first on a dedicated machine and monitor the network traffic for a while. Nothing unusual so far.

BTW, all the complaining, fear-mongering, and paranoia is annoying. Good thing I'm not a developer or owner otherwise I'd think "Wow, these people are unappreciative" and scrap the whole thing and deal with the losses.
2018/04/05 22:39:04
Keni
mkerl
MakerDP
mkerl
MakerDP
Keni
Nothing is secure! Anything can change!

I totally agree with that but you have to admit, BandLab right now is nothing but pure e-commerce startup speculation! There are currently NO revenue streams for it other than a $40 phone audio interface.

Meng is not doing this out of some altruistic hippie-like love of creating communities for musicians to share their work!

Maybe he'll come up with a revolutionary marketing model for professional produced music? It makes no sense to offer this full featured award winning DAW to an online community of homebased singer / songwriters only. Just Hoping for ads. 
Don't know.
However

Cheers :) :) 

You could be right. But it sure worked for Facebook, YouTube and Google!

But it's a bit different. Facebook wants your personal information to deal with, as well as google does. Youtube buildts on creative content, no need for professional quality, authentical presentation wins, besides pranks, boobs, cat- videos . . . . Youtube will never reach the professional level of hollywood productions, cause it's extrem expensive to work on that level. So, know Meng wants to redefine the musicworld with Bandlab. Sonar (CbB) is professional level and you don't need that much equipment to make professional music even for Hollywood film scores, if you know how to do it. It's more a question of skills.
I mean, online social media and professional media producing (video, music) are different worlds. Splat is professional, no social media app. So, what the heck is he (Meng) looking for?

Cheers :) 

Avid has a free version of Media Composer that while a less fewtured version, has a learning curve to challenge any novice user... Pro software even qt the free level...
2018/04/05 22:40:44
chris.r
A question to devs, are there plans to keep CbB bridging 32bit VST(i)s in future (like Reaper is doing)? Hope for that.

PS: Cb and B are the same notes, seems CbB name's in tune, just sayin...:P
2018/04/05 22:42:29
Keni
BTW

Volvo now offers a subscription option for their' cars that includes insurance etc.....

It's a continually changing world. Always has been but the new digital paradigm changes faster!
2018/04/05 22:44:45
Keni
chris.r
A question to devs, are there plans to keep CbB bridging 32bit VST(i)s in future (like Reaper is doing)? Hope for that.

PS: Cb and B are the same notes, seems CbB name's in tune, just sayin...:P

I'm already using such... 32bit in Cakewalk by Bandlab!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account