• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.40)
2018/04/05 22:46:25
PopStarWannabe
michael diemer
Opened my first piece, which was from 8.5 Studio, and it opened perfectly, pulling in everything for a full orchestra piece.

You mean that project was done in Sonar 8.5 Studio and it worked perfectly in the new Cakewalk?
So is it so backwards compatible?

Also BandLab should publish the exact, detailed list of features and VST/VSTi included.
2018/04/05 22:59:51
TPayton
Some people.... If you handed them a 20 dollar bill they would complain because it was wrinkled. I currently own 4 DAWs. Sonar has not been exclusively #1 for me for a while, even before the Cakewalk collapse.  But I regard it as a capable and worthwhile product. 

I told a musician friend who is interested in getting into recording about the Bandlab acquisition, and the opportunity to own a full featured DAW for FREE. Instead of enthusiasm, his reaction was suspicion.  *shrug*
2018/04/05 23:02:59
craigr68
I rely on CWAF heavily to clean up my project files.  I just noticed that CWAF is displaying this message on any previous project that I saved with the new CbB:

The following files were either unreadable by CWAF, or written by a newer version of SONAR than CWAF expects.
Unless they were created by a different application, or known to be compatible, you should restore them from a backup copy before proceeding with any file operations.
In the case of newer files, please verify that you have the latest version of CWAF from http://www.cakewalk.com
CORRUPT or FUTURE Project file versions can cause false ORPHAN wave indications Please USE CARE!

Then it lists the only two .cwp files that I recently saved with CbB
2018/04/05 23:31:07
giovanni.marsella
Hello. I am Italian and I was a Sonar lifetime user. Will there ever be a version of Cakewalk by Bandlab in Italian or in general in multi-lingual as it was before Sonar?
2018/04/05 23:37:18
scook
Multi-language support could not make this release but is planned for a future release.
2018/04/05 23:48:13
bogdank
Great news. I see a number of people already downloaded the "new" version. I have a few questions for you guys (especially those who had Platinum):

1) Can these two (Platinum and new cakewalk by BandLab) coexist on the same system?
2) Do I need to remove Platinum in order to put the new one?
3) During installation, can I decide where to put Cakewalk Content like I could with Platinum (I used separate drive for that...)
4) Is the installation fully automated once I tell it to install the additional content? (that's how far I got before canceling :) ) I generally do not like installations of large applications like this that are done without allowing user to confirm what is about to be installed... or automatically removing the installer executable once the installation completed.

I guess I would like to install this new one in parallel until I make sure my previous work would be possible to use without major effort at which point I could remove "old" SONAR.

I have an image of the system drive, etc., but I would hate to waste time putting it back if this installation messes up my current settings...

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanx,
Bogdan
2018/04/05 23:51:11
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Skyline_UK
DeBro
I upgraded from Sonar Professional and opened a few existing projects and all played flawlessly. I then proceeded to master within a mix and when it came time to export to 16bit wav, I noticed there was no Pow-r Dithering. Oh well, I hope it can be a paid add-on sometime in the future. 

Wow, good spot.  This is a MAJOR issue.  I'm going back to old Platinum until that's sorted.  I don't understand; surely Pow-r Dithering wasn't a paid 3rd party add-on????  it's been in Sonar for aeons.  What other items have disappeared?  I don't want to just stumble across this sort of bad news.  We should at least be told now what we can expect to have gone missing.
NOEL!!  HELP!!

Why is Pow-r a major issue? Most users these days who care about dithering have some sort of mastering plugin at the end of the chain that has way more powerful dithering choices. The Pow-R licence couldn't transfer over to a free software model so we had to remove it. Nothing else was removed besides third party plugins whose licences wouldn't transfer to BandLab. 
2018/04/05 23:55:50
Bassman002
Hi there:)

Can't install it:

>>A Java Script Error ocurred in the main process
>>no such file or directory, open
>>A:\OneDrive\dokumente\downloads\Cakewalk.exe

This directory doesn't exist, I have my download dir at a different drive. but there's no cakewalk.exe, can't find it!

Any help??

Thanks;)
Bassman.

Do you have OneDrive set up as your default downloads folder? This is likely a virtual drive and may not be compatible. Maybe disable OneDrive and try again?

2018/04/06 00:20:07
Keni
craigr68
I rely on CWAF heavily to clean up my project files.  I just noticed that CWAF is displaying this message on any previous project that I saved with the new CbB:

The following files were either unreadable by CWAF, or written by a newer version of SONAR than CWAF expects.
Unless they were created by a different application, or known to be compatible, you should restore them from a backup copy before proceeding with any file operations.
In the case of newer files, please verify that you have the latest version of CWAF from http://www.cakewalk.com
CORRUPT or FUTURE Project file versions can cause false ORPHAN wave indications Please USE CARE!

Then it lists the only two .cwp files that I recently saved with CbB

If i remeber correctly, there,s a ini for it wher you need to change the version number. As there have been no changes in file format, all will be well...
2018/04/06 00:21:10
bitflipper
Regarding the loss of the Powr-N dither options, I didn't even notice that until someone pointed it out to me. The reason: I haven't used SONAR for dithering in many years. My primary mastering limiters are Pro-L and Ozone, both of which offer their own dither options. As do most of the more popular limiters, e.g. Elephant and L2.

This ^ :)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account