• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.41)
2018/04/06 00:23:49
Daibhidh
MarianoGF
I guess the DAW will always be for free (with the basic plugins) and that's great. Something like BandLab gives you the "Artist" version for free. What you will have to pay for is every advanced plugin, instrument or pack you want to become "Professional" or "Platinum". That is what I guess, maybe I'm wrong.

Except the artist version didn't have:
all the prochannel modules in it that the free version of CbB has,
Vocal Sync,
and Surround Mixing which CbB does.

But you're right that things like this will be for purchase
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/By-Category/ProChannel-Modules
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Rapture

2018/04/06 00:26:12
Keni
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Skyline_UK
DeBro
I upgraded from Sonar Professional and opened a few existing projects and all played flawlessly. I then proceeded to master within a mix and when it came time to export to 16bit wav, I noticed there was no Pow-r Dithering. Oh well, I hope it can be a paid add-on sometime in the future. 

Wow, good spot.  This is a MAJOR issue.  I'm going back to old Platinum until that's sorted.  I don't understand; surely Pow-r Dithering wasn't a paid 3rd party add-on????  it's been in Sonar for aeons.  What other items have disappeared?  I don't want to just stumble across this sort of bad news.  We should at least be told now what we can expect to have gone missing.
NOEL!!  HELP!!

Why is Pow-r a major issue? Most users these days who care about dithering have some sort of mastering plugin at the end of the chain that has way more powerful dithering choices. The Pow-R licence couldn't transfer over to a free software model so we had to remove it. Nothing else was removed besides third party plugins whose licences wouldn't transfer to BandLab. 

True, but some of us don't. I use the old Sony CDArchitect for my assemby and burning, but my song files are already dithered. I rarely do any processing there as I prefer to dither during mastering in Sonar. The Powr algorhythms sound "better" to me than anything in the Sony program...

So for now. I will record in Cakewalk and master in Sonar, then final assemby/burn from CDArchect I guess...
2018/04/06 00:33:33
getfr
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

Why is Pow-r a major issue? Most users these days who care about dithering have some sort of mastering plugin at the end of the chain that has way more powerful dithering choices. The Pow-R licence couldn't transfer over to a free software model so we had to remove it. Nothing else was removed besides third party plugins whose licences wouldn't transfer to BandLab. 

You were not asked to give a free stub.
Give us a normal running program, a paid program.
And let it be compatible with the previous ones.
Otherwise, you simply killed the sonar with your wrong policy.
This is exactly what I feared: the company's wrong policy.

2018/04/06 00:43:24
getfr
If you want to make a program for fools, then only fools will use it. (Not my words)
2018/04/06 00:45:57
abacab
Studio-ES

BTW, all the complaining, fear-mongering, and paranoia is annoying. Good thing I'm not a developer or owner otherwise I'd think "Wow, these people are unappreciative" and scrap the whole thing and deal with the losses.

Agreed!  And I will second the 'unappreciative' group to that list.  Everything that we are getting for free is from a team that was under no obligation whatsoever.  Sheesh!!! 
2018/04/06 01:05:36
bodhi65
Y
2018/04/06 01:05:39
Daibhidh
getfr
You simply killed the sonar with your wrong policy.
This is exactly what I feared: the company's wrong policy.

Just watch how Cakewalk's customer base grow in the coming years
and you'll see how 'wrong' the policy really is.

getfr
If you want to make a program for fools, then only fools will use it. (Not my words)

Because only fools use Pro-L, Ozone, Elephant and L2?

But you could ask that the new paid for version come with dithering,
which Bandlab will be giving for free to previous Platinum customers
with their old Cakewalk account linked up to their new Bandlab account.

Sigh. 
2018/04/06 01:05:49
bodhi65
We must all diff our caps to this young innovative team of entrepreneurs who see the multiple value in cakewalk. This is interesting to participate in and yes, whiners and nihilists should go meta on themselves and **** up for a few months. Proper bug issues and suggestions are always appreciated.
Alan
2018/04/06 01:08:18
michael diemer
PopStarWannabe
michael diemer
Opened my first piece, which was from 8.5 Studio, and it opened perfectly, pulling in everything for a full orchestra piece.

You mean that project was done in Sonar 8.5 Studio and it worked perfectly in the new Cakewalk?
So is it so backwards compatible?

Also BandLab should publish the exact, detailed list of features and VST/VSTi included.

Yes, at least as far back as 8.5.
2018/04/06 01:26:20
Steeps
Hey guys,

My music production computer does not have an internet connection. Is there any way to get this program up and running on that machine without one?

Thanks,
Steeps
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account