• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.47)
2018/04/06 16:06:25
Andrzej Salm
I don't have a "chronic uncapacity to be happy", it's just that one of the my favourite features has been filleted out.
I'll stick with my Artist for now.
Hopefully, the SD will be back at some stage and then I'll make the move.
2018/04/06 16:17:42
bogdank
I think everyone should just cool down...

This transition will take some time. For some people might be easy, for some a bit harder due to details of their prior configurations and 3rd party content.

In the end, I believe it will be all worked out as it was worked out in the past.

At this point I think it would be useful if we could just focus on helping each other work out through the details of installation, compatibility or any other peculiar issues that we could run into.

So, let's move from "complaining", "blaiming", "shaming" into helping each other like we were doing it with so much success in the past.

I think I could summarize the current situation as follows:
  • BandLab provided us with a free version/upgrade of "SONAR" now "Cakewalk by BandLab" (Great!)
  • We are working out through the installation and configuration (Good!)
  • Some of us are done and good to go (no issues) (Great!)
  • Some of us have various minor problems (let's help those folks make it to the finish line!)
  • Some of us would like to see more content supported as it was with original SONAR (Great! Post your requests and BandLab guys would listen I guess)
  • Some of us found potential bugs (OK. Document and post instructions to recreate and let the BandLab guys look at it...)
I feel that majority of us are actually happy about this development and we are looking forward to continue using this DAW in its new form.

Enjoy!
2018/04/06 16:19:04
GIM Productions
MarianoGF
Some people I've seen around the thread have a chronic uncapacity to be happy. I am also a "lifetime" Platinum owner, but a lot of things happened since that day. Our DAW was breath-cutted, we lost hope, we were fearing a major Windows update that kill it, and suddenly one day it got fresh air again by the hand of young people with future projections. We have lots of reasons to be happy about this. The actual Cakewalk by BandLab is just SONAR with one or two new details and some less processors, but I'm sure they are preparing something unbelievable for the future of Cakewalk. I feel that this is just the beginning of a reinvention, and in (let's say) 4 years from now Cakewalk, step by step, will become an innovative DAW, because it has been acquired by people way younger than the most of us, and they are full of new ideas and energy; people who created an unthinkable DAW social network, which to me has an amazing future. They are not trying to sell blenders and TV's like Gibson. But this is not by altruism. BL Technologies came here because they saw the potential to partner Cakewalk with BandLab each other, taking pro features and processors from Cakewalk to make BandLab more complete and better sounding, and bringing from BandLab new DAW concepts and young future perspectives (and customers) to Cakewalk, one of the pioneers (the oldest?) DAWs in the world. Also, they incredibly ASK US what we would like to have in the next versions in the "Feature request + improvements" thread. Remember this is SOFTWARE, it NEEDS to change and be modernized, and what a better way than by the hand of this young innovatibe people. Otherwise it happens what happened to SONAR by the hand of a 65 years old bald businessman. So if some of you want to keep complaining, do it against Gibson.
Yesterday we were lost, today we are breathing again, and in some years we will be the envy of other DAW users, not only because the DAW, but also by this great community, which will be participating actively in the development process. So let's trust each other, take part in the "Feature request + improvements" thread bringing new ideas, and leave BandLab transform Cakewalk in the unthinkable with their own new ones.
Cheers.
PD: I'm 37, he, not a grandpa yet...
PD2: I think Gregg Hendershot deserves a Deluxe copy of Cakewalk by BandLab in 'vinyl disc'...

+1000000
I'm a pro user,and i was shocked by situation, i never usderstood the reason why Sonar Platinum was not the industry standard....i'm a lifetime user too and for love of justice i'm superhappy that Sonar Lives!!!

p.s. We have P........ols in the studio....the clients choose always Sonar export,.....shhhhh
2018/04/06 16:43:41
stevec
Andrzej Salm
I don't have a "chronic uncapacity to be happy", it's just that one of the my favourite features has been filleted out.
I'll stick with my Artist for now.
Hopefully, the SD will be back at some stage and then I'll make the move.

As long as CbB can find the same VST folders that Artist is using, they should be available in both.  Remember that CbB is essentially a "new" DAW so won't necessarily include any non-default paths you previously added to Artist.    It would be nice if the migration could handle those too, but one step at a time...

2018/04/06 16:46:18
bsantini99
Sonar was never the industry standard because it fell behind in key areas of improvement and failed to remain relevant to the music production of the day. Also, the interface became cluttered and the workflow inefficient. Noel and team made horrible decisions on the development and marketing strategy that brought us to where we are today.

Today's music is split between snap to grid, electronic based music with people who don't play instruments and people that do orchestration. People doing audio focused recording is a dwindling population which is where Sonar was mainly focused. Hopefully, the Bandlab folks will learn from these lessons and improve the daw in ways to serve the current music production scene and improve/streamline the interface.
2018/04/06 16:57:28
quietman
bsantini99

Today's music is split between snap to grid, electronic based music with people who don't play instruments and people that do orchestration.

So people who dont 'play instruments' and who do 'orchestration' shouldn't write music? 
2018/04/06 17:04:15
PopStarWannabe
Does Cakewalk by BandLab include a pitch-correction VST?
I own Sonar X2 Producer, hence VVocal. I doubt that will work within CbB...

Also, the versions of the included VSTs (PX-64, PV-64, Studio Instruments, TTS-1, etc) are NEWER than those that I own due to X2? If so, how will CbB know which to use? Should I uninstall the older ones?
2018/04/06 17:11:16
EnriqueLab
DONDE ESTA MI IDIOMA ESPAÑOL???
DONDE ESTA EL DITHERINGPOWER3????
PORQUE ES UNA VERSIÓN ANTERIOR DE SONAR????
DONDE ESTA MI IDIOMA ESPAÑOL???

WHERE IS MY SPANISH LANGUAGE ???

WHERE IS THE DITHERINGPOWER3 ????

BECAUSE IT'S A PREVIOUS VERSION OF SONAR ????

WHERE IS MY SPANISH LANGUAGE ???
2018/04/06 17:20:14
Skyline_UK
scook
thornton
IS pow r working or not

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745674

Takes us around in a circle. Or was that the intention scook? 
2018/04/06 17:22:57
scook
PopStarWannabe
Does Cakewalk by BandLab include a pitch-correction VST?
I own Sonar X2 Producer, hence VVocal. I doubt that will work within CbB...

Also, the versions of the included VSTs (PX-64, PV-64, Studio Instruments, TTS-1, etc) are NEWER than those that I own due to X2? If so, how will CbB know which to use? Should I uninstall the older ones?

I still have V-Vocal installed and it shows up as a Region FX just like it did in Platinum. Melodyne Essential was bundled with SONAR Platinum but BandLab is not going to give out copies of Melodyne for free.

TTS-1 is part of the CbB installer. The other plug-ins you mentioned are not. The Sonitus Suite and MFX plug-ins are part of CbB.

If you want all the plug-ins that shipped with X2 Producer, leave X2 Producer installed. CbB installs like an upgrade. IOW, it will updated the "Shared" folders and create its own Program, ProgramData, User and Content folders.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account