• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.57)
2018/04/09 00:14:37
scook
Right-click in the column to select a different display
2018/04/09 00:48:14
Bloodrocuted666
Thanks! Will try that!
2018/04/09 01:54:11
Phoen1xPJ
scook
Right-click in the column to select a different display

Does not show kbd in CbB.
2018/04/09 10:37:47
olemon
deswind
Why oh Why did I buy Cubase some months ago!!! Anyway, great news about Bandlab!

Insurance, and because hindsight is 20/20.

I don't regret buying a second daw.  Being proficient in both is a good thing.
2018/04/09 12:32:56
Steev
Toddskins
Saxon1066
Thumbs down to the name. Weak.

I really do agree with you on this point.

A company is trying to win new clients, then they should use a name that seeks to achieve that.  'Guess it's too late for them now?

Actually the name Cakewalk says it all... I've been using it for decades now and when people ask me how I record my music I came to realize years ago I should always simply reply with Cakewalk.
  If I said Sonar, many didn't know what I was talking about. Than I'd have to further explain that it was made by Cakewalk and I would get a knowing smile, or nod, or maybe on occasion they'd look at me like a was a pelican or something and go into a wild auto dogmatic diatribe mode about why Ableton Live was sooooooooooooooooooooo much better.
 Yeah, I always didn't like it too much when that happened, but looking at it on the brighter side, at least it was an acknowledgement  that Cakewalk existed and just might be a worthy competitor. 
2018/04/09 12:53:32
rjeynes
Cakewalk by Bandlab looked great on initial installation, picked up all my VSTs etc, but it has fallen back into Demo mode on 2nd opening, and I can't find a way to authenticate. (I have registered with Bandlab, installed Bandlab Assistant, and tried opening from Banldlab Assistant)

Message is: "You are currently running in Demo Mode due to a problem with activation. Please contact support (4,0)" - but the link just goes to the old Cakewalk activation support entries which are now out of date. 
The 'About Cakewalk' splash shows a serial number with (4,0) after it, and the Membership field has become 'Demo' whereas yesterday it said something like 'Valid through 08/10/2018' 

(SPLAT is still working fine).

Does any one have any ideas how to get CbB out of demo mode?
(It took ages to download, and the first attempt timed out, so this using a second download)

2018/04/09 13:23:22
astaub
deswind
Why oh Why did I buy Cubase some months ago!!! Anyway, great news about Bandlab!

I've been using Cubase Pro and Sonar Platinum for years. 
I still do not want to be faced with the choice of having to use only one product. 
2018/04/09 13:49:05
subtlearts
olemon
deswind

Insurance, and because hindsight is 20/20.

I don't regret buying a second daw.  Being proficient in both is a good thing.

Well I certainly don't regret updating Reason or snagging a license to Reaper, which were my responses to the Sopnarpocalypse. I like both immensely and will continue to use them. I didn't spend a lot of time crying over Sonar's demise, the whole thing was very shocking and disappointing but I suspect it's literally in a better place now, so all's well that ends well.

And now I have 4 DAWs! (5 if you count MixBus, which I do slightly regret, though $29 does not buy a lot of regret; the other one is Live 9, which I have honestly barely scratched the surface of). Which one I decide to fire up to start a track on a given day will likely depend as much on mood as anything else... same as which synth or reverb or compressor I decide to try first (sometimes the first try just tells you that the first try was wrong, but more often than not I have a gut feeling to use something I haven't used in a while and immediately find *exactly* the right sound - music tends to work best as an intuitive process for me). Nice to have a few different environments available, to keep things fresh.

CakeLab seems pretty solid here! Looking forward to wherever they take it from here!
2018/04/09 14:36:47
Hangdog Cat
I was quite ready to move on when TSHTF, but I'm SO pleased with the way things are now going.

One thing I learned by my short excursion into Cubase is that I'm more proficient in Sonar than I had realized. My years of experience make most things fairly easy. Learning a new DAW can be useful and I'm glad I have a Plan B, but I can already fly in Cakewalk; why start crawling my way through a second DAW? There are only so many hours in a day.

Cakewalk is an excellent fit for my workflow, and although I'll check out Cubase for features Cakewalk doesn't offer, on a day-to-day basis I'll stick with Cakewalk.

Huge sigh of relief. 
2018/04/09 15:22:36
LAGinz25
Midiboy
Error:  Installation files are corrupt.  Please obtain a new copy of the program. 

Same here. Rebooted multiple times. Unresponsive answer from company. Very disappointing.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account