• Hardware
  • Behringer X Air XR18 for recording (p.2)
2018/11/25 12:07:26
garry
I was originally looking into the XR18 Air, then the Midas version (for better preamps), but now I'm smitten with the Soundcraft UI24R. Normally sells for $1000, but with a 20% off Guitar Center coupon, you can get it for $800. The 20% coupon works on Berhinger too. I like that the Soundcraft uses HTML5 for its interface so all you need is a device that can run a browser. It also allows multitrack recording to a USB stick on the mixer itself. Check it out. I expect to pull the trigger on one in a couple months to use as both a recording interface (record the band live in the studio) and for live gigs. They have a demo of their control app (web page) here:

https://www.soundcraft.co...ftware-demo/mixer.html

And a nice description of how to use the unit here:

https://www.soundtech.co.uk/news/our-guide-to-the-ui24r-remote-controlled-digital-mixer

2018/11/25 19:43:18
thepianist65
I can attest to the need for a dedicated router, the x18 at the venue I perform at has done this because of the loss of connectivity. Still pondering the different options, plus there is a Soundcraft digital mixer that also looks fantastic for a little bit more than the X18, but less than the Presonus. Just thinking that the Presonus would do most of its duty in the studio, and allow me to also record performances and do "virtual" sound checks in live venues, as well as rehearsals. No rush for any of it, though..love getting all this feedback. PS I already have the iPad pro, and use it for backing tracks, as well as lyrics, chord charts, etc. The mixer would replace my Behringer analog mixer, which I love, but doesn't have the features and versatility of these other things.

2018/11/26 20:41:37
Cactus Music
I guess I'm always gun shy of any devices that might go haywire at a gig. My by word is always "Bulletprooof".

And at the time I was shopping I did a bass gig with a group that owned both the x32 studio mixer and the rack version for live. He had owned this thing for a more than year but they hadn't really had to use it much as most of their gigs already had a system in place.

This person had spent over $5,000 on a audio engineering course and has become pretty well educated in Pro Tools etc.
He certainly seemed to know his way around the studio rig and had some very impressive tracks I'd listend to.

We had over an hour to set up and we are talking a simple 2 vocals, acoustic, electric guitar, bass   and  drums ( no mike either) . He was still fussing on his iPad and things sounded terrible! Plus he could not figure out how to send the Aux to the floor wedges. We had to start playing and it was the worst stage experiance I have suffered in a long time. I felt bad that I could not help, if it had been a regular board I would have fixed things in a 2 minutes.
I had my wireless so I could go out front and listen and I normally can do sound checks this way without stopping my bass line.
2018/11/26 22:06:13
GaryMedia
Hey Cactus Music,

Don't let someone else's ineptitude set the standard for how difficult something is to do.  I support lots of churches that use the X32/M32 family, and teach classes on usage.  Students range from age 70 down to age 12.  

As for the guy fumbling to get the aux sends working correctly, he didn't need the iPad or a laptop at all, because the control screen native to the X32 Rack, and all other models that have faders is enough to fully manage the box.  

I have an X32 Core in addition to an full-size M32.  The X32 Core is the only product in the range that absolutely needs an external control box.  I use it for remote recordings connected to a DL151.  For redundancy of control, I primarily use a Lenovo laptop, but I also keep an iPad around just in case.  

Also, to the people in this thread who are considering the XR18, keep in mind that a normal laptop with an Ethernet port can control the XR18 via the X-Air app, and a concurrently attached USB port into the same laptop can record the multi-track.  I do a version of this with my X32 Core that has the SD recorder expansion card: the laptop runs X32-Edit and Waves Tracks Live concurrently as a redundant capture of the event.
2018/11/27 15:07:27
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, I play out regularly in Central OH.
We always hire commercial sound/lights.
Many of our shows are mixed using X32 digital consoles (with the engineer using tablet/s for mobility).
It's all down to who's using the gear.

We were just at a concert venue this past Friday (approximately 3-4k capacity).
Lots of national acts play this venue (prior/post playing arenas).
Monitor engineer Joey is a friend of ours who was using a X32 with a tablet. 
Per the band, the monitor mix was stellar.  Joey is a fantastic engineer... who can mix fast with the X32.
Front Of House was using a M32 (Midas version)... and FOH also sounded stellar.
Midas can run a sample-rates above 48k... and has nicer preamps/front-end (software algorithms are identical).

2018/11/27 18:44:48
GaryMedia
While one would naturally expect the Midas M32 to differentiate itself from the Behringer X32 by offering 96kHz operation, alas, that is *not* the case.

Even though the external digital snakes (DL151, DL152, etc.) have 48k/96k capability, the M32 does not allow operation at 96k.  It doesn't bother me because of my 48k-centric video ambitions, but it would have been an excellent marketing bonus point for the M32, and the option to choose among the three rates would serve to elevate it above the rest of the digital mixer crowd. 

I even recommended an "Interface Mode @ 96K" to Midas/Behringer that would preclude the use of an effects, but would allow signal routing among the I/O, and to the computers' interface.  They didn't act on my recommendation.  
2018/11/27 19:56:47
Jim Roseberry
My mistake, the M32 is... "96k ready"
I could have sworn it was marketed as capable of running higher sample-rates.
In any event, it sounded stellar.  The reverb on FOH vocals was particularly nice.
2018/11/27 20:33:59
Cactus Music
Please don't get me wrong I am a big fan of what these boxes can do and I still use my 01v which has outlived 2 dogs. I just don't trust it anymore as some controlls have become jumpy.
But it does have knobs and buttons with in easy reach. If I buy anything I think I would still want those features still.  
And you are probably right that just because someone has taken a course in audio doesn't mean they are going to be good. I just felt bad that I couldn't help him figure it out, Probably given 15 minutes I would have.  I don't think the X32 box he had had any sort of LED Screen. Looked like a patch bay to me.

My son has just bought the x18. He has it hardwired to a deicated laptop and is very pleased so far.

2018/11/27 20:58:10
Jim Roseberry
I had an O1v back in the day...
FWIW, The technology has come a LONG way since then.
Behringer gets a lot of (probably well deserved) flack... but they've absorbed some top-notch companies/tech/people... and are releasing some nice gear.
Who would have thought...

It's amazing just how popular the X32 has become.
Almost industry standard for (local level) live shows.
2018/11/27 21:57:23
HighAndDry
I haven't tried the brgr xair 18 at a gig yet.  but I am getting used to it.  A couple things.  As I mentioned earlier, I bought a Microsoft surface go.  It worked ok for the xair interface but it was sluggish at times.  I think it is just underpowered, processor wise, to try and do everything it does.  The camera and sound were great.  having the usb port and micro sd is nice.  But I would get instances where the onscreen keyboard would not pop up. ( I spent a couple hours with Microsoft support too)  I didn't buy the extra physical keyboard.  Anyway  Long story short.  ipads were on sale at Walmart for 249.  I returned the surface go and bought the ipad. saved over $100  As much as I hate to say it the ipad (at that price point )blows the surface go out of the water.   It is much snappier.  the onscreen keyboard is excellent.  NO, It doesn't have the connectivity but it does what it does extremely well.  Of course the ipad interface for xair is different. so there's that.  but it is a very cool combo.
   Oh... And I did go with an external router.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account