• SONAR
  • T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel (p.3)
2019/01/03 03:51:11
Musikman
scook
Add a MIDI track w/ input set to your controller, output to TH3, enable input echo

When I added a MIDI track like this for the Leslie last time, I looked at the options for input to set it to my controller and it gave me drop-down options of "Omni", and "1 thru 16". When I tried Chan 1 I got no sound so I set it for Omni. I assume that Omni is the correct setting?  Also, with Input Echo on that track, I think it was set to "Auto-Thru" but must have been still working cuz I had sound. I did change that to "On" last time you mentioned it but that didn't seem to change anything, I got sound on both those settings.

I may get to this tonight, but more likely won't get to trying this out until morning.  I'll get back to you when I do, thanks scook. Looks like a simple test, one other question...the Cry Baby would be a little different than the Leslie, in that it's just a wah pedal, so there's only one thing to control on it, whereas the Leslie has the Rotary Switch, and some other sliders and switches as well. So when I try this method on the Leslie, do I just right click anywhere, or right click on just the Rotary Switch? 

This seems similar to the instructions for ACT, but we're not using the ACT button at the top menu of the plugin, so I assume this isn't the ACT method.

2019/01/03 04:10:03
scook
I picked a simple example so the basic routing can be confirmed with a plug-in known to work.

Different plug-ins have different ways to set up MIDI. From the description in msg #16 the leslie has a predefined CC
config. Do not expect the instruction supplied for TH3 to work for IKM products, however; the method of connecting a controller via a MIDI track to an effect plug-in is the same for all plug-ins that use MIDI data to control features.
2019/01/03 21:38:00
Musikman
Ok I tried the experiment with the TH3 in a brand new default project.  Didn't work at first, but I think I moved the modwheel too many times, then just tried moving it once and then it worked. Good to know I can do that in the future, thanks! 

However,  I tried that same procedure with both Leslie VST2 and VST3, neither worked. In fact when I right clicked on the Leslie to get the Learn Global MIDI option, I didn't even get the popup box, nothing at all. When I tried just right clicking the rotary switch, it just moved the switch from slow to fast. Both left and right click just move the switch, no learn midi option. So what does that mean?

I keep wondering how that guy in the YT video got his to work with ACT....I'll have to watch that again to see if I can pick up on what he's done there. It's only a small part of the video and the menu items he uses the text is kinda blurry, but I'll look at it again. I did watch a video or two on setting up ACT, looks to be a bit more complicated than the method we just tried.
2019/01/03 21:47:18
scook
Not all plug-ins manufacturers implement MIDI the same way. I can only help with routing in general. The TH3 experiment was to confirm you could get MIDI data to any FX plug-in. I cannot help you with IKM specific questions.
2019/01/03 21:52:36
Musikman
I know, that's ok, I appreciate your trying to help me solve this, it may turn out it can't be solved anyway.   I checked my ticket and IKM has not responded yet. I did notice in that thread in the IKM forum, someone mentioned that the Amplitube version of the Leslie worked ok, but not the T-Racks version that I have. Also, from looking at a couple videos just now on how to setup ACT it looks a bit more complicated, but I guess there no guarantee that would even work.
2019/01/03 22:41:01
chris.r
Musikman
...when I right clicked on the Leslie to get the Learn Global MIDI option, I didn't even get the popup box, nothing at all. When I tried just right clicking the rotary switch, it just moved the switch from slow to fast. Both left and right click just move the switch, no learn midi option. So what does that mean?

IKM typically don't offer MIDI Learn pop-up menu in t-racks modules. All MIDI settings are done on the setup page, make sure you left toggle slow/fast with CC#1 untouched.

I keep wondering how that guy in the YT video got his to work with ACT....I'll have to watch that again to see if I can pick up on what he's done there. It's only a small part of the video and the menu items he uses the text is kinda blurry, but I'll look at it again. I did watch a video or two on setting up ACT, looks to be a bit more complicated than the method we just tried.

I'm pretty sure it's doable, if the slow/fast parameter is showing up as an automation in your track then no reason you can't control it with ACT.
2019/01/03 23:06:11
Musikman
Thanks chris.r.........Well I at least updated my support ticket with IKM just in case, letting them know the procedure we just tried out, just so they know that it's not an issue with Sonar. In the IKM thread link I posted in #3, the problem is the users there are not using Sonar, I think they are using Cubase and another DAW I can't remember which. The guy in the YT video I posted here in #9 seemed to have it working in Sonar using ACT, hard to tell in that video how he did it, he only shows it briefly around 17:00 into the video.

chris.r
IKM usually don't offer MIDI Learn pop-up menu. All MIDI settings are done on the setup page...

What setup page are you referring to? Where? (Forgive my lack of knowledge, I mostly work with audio, so I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of MIDI in Sonar, only because other than basic stuff I don't often need to get in depth with it.)

I did a test record, moving the switch with just the mouse, and it does register in the Automation lane in the track. I don't have time right now, but I'll have to try to learn how to use ACT, never done it before, and tbh I will have to spend some time reading and watching videos on how it works and how to set it up properly.... I'm not gonna ask you to teach it to me, unless it's only a couple of quick steps and you have the time to post it here.  Gotta get to an appointment, but I'll be back around here later. Thanks again, much appreciate the help!

2019/01/03 23:36:35
simeon
Hey guys,
I did a review and walkthrough of the Leslie plugin here: 
https://youtu.be/rvFr32F2JBw

There is a section of the video where I show how I worked around the Leslie speaker Speed issue around 16 or 17 minutes into the video.
Hope you find it helpful?
2019/01/04 00:27:25
chris.r
Hi Simeon! I much enjoyed your leslie walkthrough and the bandlab blues! :D

One question, which version did you use for that walkthrough - VST2 or VST3? Or it doesn't matter? Thanks!
2019/01/04 01:17:37
chris.r
Musikman
What setup page are you referring to? Where?

here:
Musikman
In the Plugin itself, there is a gear icon and it does bring up a popup window for Midi Settings, but the only settings in there are: Speed Control Change = 1, and Brake Control Change = 64. Next to both of them is a “Latch” button. I think I tried using that too, but didn't change anything.

so just make sure the Speed Control Change = 1 if you are going to control it with your mod wheel

Musikman
...never done it before, and tbh I will have to spend some time reading and watching videos on how it works and how to set it up properly

Alright I've done this already some time ago and I might forgot some steps, but from the top of my head, I had to go to Sonar preferences and there add ACT to the Control Surface list (probably setup MIDI driver there). Then open ACT window from Sonar menu > Utilities and there click Enable on the bottom left. Now if you open leslie gui, you should be able to do MIDI learn: in ACT window click on the speed cell (R2) then move your modweel. If I didn't miss anything you should be able to toggle the speed now.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account