2015/03/14 04:42:43
John
mettelus
Kalle is correct. Software, CD key and S/N were it... There was zero requirement to even register the software.

You had to send in a registration card. Back then updates came on disks. It could be used with out sending in the card but you couldn't get any updates. I'm sure it would be very hard to find an unused copy. One that had not been registered. 
2015/03/14 07:22:41
wwwwwwwwww
mudgel
I remember several years ago discussing this issue with someone from Cakewalk's customer support service. I was surprised how actively Cakewalk pursue individuals who sell older copies of Sonar. It helps to ensure the provenance of an item and that the sale won't contravene Cakewalk's licence agreement. They will and have taken legal action to protect their rights.

So it actually makes no sense to ask someone over here, or in Coffee House, wants to sell his used copy?
2015/03/14 07:29:42
John
Well the way to look at it is it would be an illegal copy. If someone did sell his/her copy to you they could no longer be able to legitimately upgrade. Its a can of worms that will be a problem for all concerned.

2015/03/14 12:24:13
wwwwwwwwww
I obviously want it for nostalgic reason. I already legally own Sonar 7 and Cakewalk 6.0 Express. So what should I do to get Pro Audio?
2015/03/14 12:48:10
scook
It does not matter what you already own or your motivation. No one who currently uses SONAR and upgraded from PA9 can sell or give you their copy of PA9 without losing their license to use SONAR.
2015/03/14 14:20:25
slartabartfast
Brando
BENT

Just saying, although I can't think of a reason for wanting ProAudio other than nostalgia 

It's the vintage sound you just can't get from new code. 

It is true. In the old days, the 1's and 0's used by computers had much softer edges than the new sharp edged numbers. Older software was designed to schmooze with those "soft" bits in a way that is not fully captured even by expensive plugins like Bullpuckyaudio's Vinatage BitBlur, or Nakedemperor's Bitmusher Pro. I still use ProAudio to capture the richer fuller feel of the old technology.
2015/03/14 18:36:49
mumpcake
BENT
Just saying, although I can't think of a reason for wanting ProAudio other than nostalgia 

I suppose there might be a troll out there who buys it so he can post a picture saying "look, I've been a user since the PA days, here's a copy of my original CD!" when called out.
2015/03/15 03:19:14
robert_e_bone
Could you do it - yes.  It would clearly violate the licensing for you and for the person selling it, and more than that it would violate the trust that the Cakewalk folks have given us for decades now, where they allow us the freedom and the really unheard of capability to have it installed on multiple machines, with really nothing but our collective 'word' that we will only run it on a single machine at a time.

I don't know about you, but dongles and restrictive licensing are pretty much universally hated, and it has been expressed in these forums many times by lots of folks that Cakewalk software users GREATLY appreciate the way Cakewalk has chosen to deal with licensing.

So I guess in the end, YOU have to decide if your interest in obtaining a 'used' copy of any of their software outweighs the value you place on your word, and the same could be said for whoever might contemplate selling or even giving away a used copy of any of their software.

Every Cakewalk install requires the user to explicitly check boxes agreeing not to sell or transfer the software under any circumstances.

Cakewalk works hard to survive in a competitive market, and they would cease to exist if enough people gave away or resold copies of their software.  Perhaps prior to that, they would attempt some more extensive software license protection mechanism, such as dongles or worse.  I certainly would not care to see that happen, and hope others feel the same way.

I recall a small number of 'example' cases, where individuals were sued successfully by software companies, and while it not likely to be determined to be a max fine for it, each instance of piracy of software does include up to $100,000 and/or up to a year in jail.  However likely or not likely any legal action would ensue, for ME, I will continue to respect and honor the trust Cakewalk places in me, and I value the continued existence of their products and am quite happy to play by the rules.

Bob Bone

2015/03/17 17:18:46
dubdisciple
Best bet is one of those dusty stores that sells lots of old unopened stock they fell upon. I have seen odder titles than old cakewalk packages.
2015/03/22 00:45:20
Grem
dubdisciple
Best bet is one of those dusty stores that sells lots of old unopened stock they fell upon. I have seen odder titles than old cakewalk packages.

Exactly.^^^^
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account