• Techniques
  • Another great article on 6 Ways to Avoid Ear Fatigue while Mixing
2018/02/24 03:57:01
gswitz
Ty
2018/03/05 17:12:13
jude77
Good read.  It recommends a listening level of 85 dbs.  Several years ago I got a sound pressure meter and, for those who don't know, 85 db is pretty loud!  I was surprised. 
2018/03/05 18:42:46
Jeff Evans
85 dB SPL (C weighted) will sound quite a bit louder with pink noise compared to music itself. So I prefer to set the overall SPL with music, not noise.  One does not listen to noise generally.

85 to some may sound fine compared to others. They say that at 85 dB SPL the ear approaches the most even response. (note approaches! it is never flat) I have never really got the concept of only using 85 in large room. To my mind the room size should not matter too much. 85 is 85 arriving at your ears, room size or not.  I guess though that pumping 85 into a smaller room may tend to inject more energy into a smaller room compared to a much larger room. Which can be problematic for some smaller rooms.

The best way to keep an eye on SPL levels in your room is with a permanent SPL meter setup roughly in the sweet spot and telling you all the time how loud things are there.  Overtime with a long mix your SPL levels can creep up because your ears are getting tired and shutting down slowly.  It does keep you honest. 

Some around here are saying they cannot monitor at 85 and they are monitoring much lower e.g. 75 dB. This will give you inaccurate picture of what you are hearing.  At lower SPL levels your ears are less sensitive to low and high end which then may make you push these a little more which is also not good either.  You also need to check at loud volumes too e.g. 95 and 105 dB.  That reveals other stuff such as bass, kick and reverbs etc.. 
2018/03/05 19:09:48
batsbrew
i don't know many people who casually listen to music at 85 db.
very few.
2018/03/05 19:23:21
Jeff Evans
batsbrew
i don't know many people who casually listen to music at 85 db.
very few.

Are you saying they are listening louder or softer? I would be inclined to say much louder. 85 dB is not loud. I feel it is quite a nice level actually. Certainly in the morning after a good nights sleep it does sound louder compared to the end of the day. 
2018/03/05 19:46:56
batsbrew
85db of about 15 minutes of playback makes my ears ring.

maybe yours have a nice callous?!

of course,
i mean most of the folks i know, do not listen to playback on their home stereos at volumes at or above 85 db.

usually softer than that.
same for ear buds,
which is what most people listen thru.
2018/03/05 20:26:44
Jeff Evans
Even when I have my SPL meter set for 85 dB that usually only represents the loudest portions. Often it is more like 80 to 83 dB most of the time.  
2018/03/05 20:26:44
Jeff Evans
Even when I have my SPL meter set for 85 dB that usually only represents the loudest portions. Often it is more like 80 to 83 dB most of the time.  
2018/03/05 23:10:14
batsbrew
yea, i sit about 32" away from my monitors, in the apex of the equilateral triangle,
and 85 db is painful!!

i usually do a 'loud' session up front, get basic levels,
then continue to mix at very comfy levels, near the end,
i have another 'loud' session, and look for sticky outy things.....

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account