2018/03/01 16:27:07
silvercn
I have been playing fingerpicking for so long, it is surprising how awkward it is to play songs with pic ! Anyone else? Working on my pic using technique but often put it back down and go back to hands and fingers....
2018/03/01 16:30:26
gswitz
I combine the two. I often use a pick and fingers.
2018/03/01 16:44:17
silvercn
Thanks for getting back so soon! I am trying that too...kind of getting the hang of it. Like chewing gum and walking ! Lol. Funny cause my early years was as a rythm player and did a lot of strumming. My voice is relatively soft, and a pic seems to have a lot of attack that can sound out of place/ harsh at times
2018/03/01 18:01:22
robbyk
I gave up on the pick in the 80s when I quit playing like Neil Young and began a playing style like James Taylor. I no longer play in that style but still prefer not using a pick (except for studio work). Nils Lofgren, Mick Fleetwood, Steve Stills, a lot of my favorite guitar players are not pick holders...
2018/03/01 18:36:35
Starise
Every time I use a pick it usually ends up in my mouth and my fingers take over. For that reason they should make flavored picks. Advantages and disadvantages to both. Thick fingernails can fill in when necessary.
2018/03/02 00:22:40
silvercn
Wow those last 2 responses are candy to my ears! Exactly. For one, JT and his finger style are what I've admired for years and try to emulate. In fact I tried a set of the same brand of strings he uses.....lol to the flavored pic! Funny. To further improve my picless  tone, growing my nails longer ( which for me is a challenge)....

2018/03/02 17:42:45
robbyk
silvercn
Wow those last 2 responses are candy to my ears! Exactly. For one, JT and his finger style are what I've admired for years and try to emulate. In fact I tried a set of the same brand of strings he uses.....lol to the flavored pic! Funny. To further improve my picless  tone, growing my nails longer ( which for me is a challenge)....

Yes I also think it is hard to get those nails long, I think there are videos, at least I've seen some on the products and techniques some guitarists use to strengthen or finesse their nails with, it's quite a process!
2018/03/02 17:43:24
robbyk
Starise
Every time I use a pick it usually ends up in my mouth and my fingers take over. For that reason they should make flavored picks. Advantages and disadvantages to both. Thick fingernails can fill in when necessary.

That is funny :)
2018/03/02 18:42:43
silvercn
I think JT might have some glued on his right hand nails. BTW speaking of guitars and strings...there is a very cool way to get hand crafted bracelets made from actual (authenticated) strings used by famous artist. Check out ..Wear Your Music. They sell many basic / cheaper ones, and the artist versions. I am ordering soon, mine from JT
2018/03/05 02:46:52
losguy
Starise
Every time I use a pick it usually ends up in my mouth and my fingers take over. For that reason they should make flavored picks. ...

I smell (taste?) a product idea. You should take that directly to the Shark Tank.

I for one do not use a pick - every time I try to use one my keyboard playing turns right to rubbish.  ;p
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account