• Computers
  • Who is running Windows 1803 (p.2)
2018/05/30 17:41:05
abacab
RSMCGUITAR
Thanks abacab,

My main concern was that there wasn't some problem with my system preventing an update. Looks like waiting is the best bet.

I don't have a link handy, but I recall hearing that in some cases MS pulled the 1803 release temporarily due to some widespread concerns.  In any case, it wouldn't cause any harm to wait.

My current plan is to stay one whole release behind the curve, so that all the testing and fixes get pushed out by the time I get around to updating.  Win10 Professional gives you a bit more control than Win10 Home in that regard.
2018/06/04 17:00:35
Thedoccal
Just tried to install 1803.  It failed at the very end due to "m-audio USB midi device" something. 
I looked across the room and my Keystation Pro88 was on.
I turned it off and am trying the install again.
Hopefully the keystation will work if the install finishes this time.
All my other usb and firewire gear was turned off.
Hopefully all that will work too!
2018/06/04 17:19:02
RSMCGUITAR
I ended up finding a way to force the update using the Media Creation Tool. Worked without issue
2018/06/04 17:43:57
Benevolentmutation
You'd think that because of their preview program these updates would come out with much less issues. Get your shyte together MS Windows! 
2018/06/05 09:59:40
Jim Roseberry
1803 update has been working fine here.

"DAW users" are a minute sub-set of "Windows users".
Out of all Win10 beta-testers, extremely few are actually DAW users.
For all the hardware/software that Windows supports (VAST amount), there aren't that many issues.

First, you should create/maintain an up-to-date backup image file.
That's protection against many issues... including a rogue update that causes a problem.
As long as you have the up-to-date backup image file, there's no worry when installing updates.

If you have the Pro version of Win10, you've got a lot more control over the OS.
  • The Group Policy Editor can be used to shut down things like OneDrive, Cortana, etc.
  • Two Registry Tweaks can be inserted that completely shut down all Automatic Updates.
Thus, you choose when (if) Updates are downloaded/installed.

2018/06/05 18:36:38
abacab
Jim Roseberry

First, you should create/maintain an up-to-date backup image file.
That's protection against many issues... including a rogue update that causes a problem.
As long as you have the up-to-date backup image file, there's no worry when installing updates.

Best advice ever!

That will cover you for most problems, and is very little work, especially when compared to the lost productivity and potential lost data when having to recover your computer with a clean install.
2018/06/05 19:54:36
fireberd
Backup, Backup, Backup.  What I preach to my clients.  And full drive, all partition, disc image backups.  

"Backups are not for IF they are needed but for WHEN they are needed.

I have two 2GB USB drives and alternate disc image backups between the two drives.  If one drive would develop a problem I still have a backup.  I disc image at least once a week and sometimes more depending on activity.  

My Sonar Projects are on a separate drive and I manually back up the Projects to the two USB drives.
2018/06/06 20:02:23
Thedoccal
Update installed without a hitch after turning off the Keystation88.
Keystation88 works just fine after install.
2018/06/09 09:03:45
jamesg1213
I finally allowed 1803 after doing a recovery disc/image back up. Everything *seems* OK apart from the usual issue with AD2. Focusrite 2i4 still working fine.
2018/06/12 22:53:59
robbyk
fireberd
Backup, Backup, Backup.  What I preach to my clients.  And full drive, all partition, disc image backups.  

"Backups are not for IF they are needed but for WHEN they are needed.

I have two 2GB USB drives and alternate disc image backups between the two drives.  If one drive would develop a problem I still have a backup.  I disc image at least once a week and sometimes more depending on activity.  

My Sonar Projects are on a separate drive and I manually back up the Projects to the two USB drives.

So OK, I will finally get on the disk image bandwagon. I've always thought from my days in tech support (DOS, win 3.1 & 95) that clones were worthless but I am too old and with cancer I can't keep spending time reinstalling everytime windows kills my pc.

So Macrium reflect 7 free is what I see a lot of really good people here using. How does it work? I mean do I have to get a large ext HD to backup to, or is a disc image 1 GB, larger, smaller?

I like your idea of two drives but is a 2 GB drive large enough?

Thanks!

FYI, I pulled the AL foil down over my ears and disconnected weeks ago and my pc and sonar is running so well now. But I have to connect and do some things now, so do I "do the dash" or will 1803 come knocking death at my door after 10-15 minutes online?

I just previewed a youtube which went over all the great things the update will provide. What a piece of absolute mashed up dung beetles in my mind...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account