• Software
  • Acoustic Revolutions 3: the ultimate acoustic guitar rhythm library (p.3)
2018/10/25 06:44:47
arznable
msmcleod
Does anyone have an opinion as to how Acoustic Revolutions 3 this compares to either NI Strummed Acoustic or UJAM Virtual Guitarist Amber (I have both of these)?
I've got Impact Soundworks Shreddage 2, which is fantastic so I'm of no doubt that Acoustic Revolutions 3 is a great VSTi.
 From listening to the demos though, I'm struggling to see how this would give me any more than what I've already got.

I have also got NI Strummed Acoustic.  It has 102 strumming patterns and also not restricted to the 12 provided chords like the AR3 does.  It seems the AR3 is kind of redundant for any NI Strummed Acoustic owner.  Lee has both and the OTS guitar series as well.  It would be great if he can chip in a bit about this topic.
2018/10/25 12:51:28
SmokeyJ628
If I'm looking for acoustic strumming, then I'm heading for Pettinhouse's Acoustic Guitar 3.0.  Great sound and flat out simple strum engine.  Honestly, OTS acoustics are just okay for me in the area of strumming.  To me, they tend to sound "thin" relative to other acoustics.

Note that Pettinhouse's strum requires you to be able to at least play some chords on the keyboard.  If you feel unsure about that, though, the Kontakt instrument has a tab with keyboard diagrams showing you what to press for popular chords (which you can then transpose in your DAW).
2018/10/28 05:25:07
arznable
SmokeyJ628
If I'm looking for acoustic strumming, then I'm heading for Pettinhouse's Acoustic Guitar 3.0.  Great sound and flat out simple strum engine.  Honestly, OTS acoustics are just okay for me in the area of strumming.  To me, they tend to sound "thin" relative to other acoustics.

Note that Pettinhouse's strum requires you to be able to at least play some chords on the keyboard.  If you feel unsure about that, though, the Kontakt instrument has a tab with keyboard diagrams showing you what to press for popular chords (which you can then transpose in your DAW).

Thanks for info, but I can only find AcousticGuitar 2.0 in the Pettinghouse website, no 3.0 there.

In your opinion, do I need the Impact Soundworks Acoustic Revolutions 3 ($39.99) or Pettinghouse AcousticGuitar 2.0 ($69) if I already own NI Strummed Acoustic and NI Strummed Acoustic 2?  Are they absolutely redundant to what I have already owned, or do they compliment each other really well?  There are a total of 265 strumming patterns altogether in NI SA1 & SA2 already, thanks.
2018/10/28 14:12:51
SmokeyJ628
Acoustic Guitar 2.0 is the one I'm talking about.  Their electric guitar (Direct Guitar) is the one at version 3.0. My bad.

The Pettinhouse guitar is much more flexible than the strummed acoustics and the acoustic revolutions. In the Pettinhouse guitar, you have a "strum" page with vertical bars that you can adjust to put a strum of any type on any beat you want.  So you can build your own strum patterns and save them rather than using only the ones supplied.  Additionally, the Pettinhouse allows you to play the notes you want strummed so you can play traditional chords, you can play chords in any inversion (which some strum products like Ujam's do not allow), and you can play any odd ball chords you want.  So, the Pettinhouse one is all about maximum flexibility relative to the other strum products. 

That being said, that may be *too* much flexibility for some.  If that sounds like too much, then keep using the Strummed Acoustics.  They sound good.  I don't own Acoustic Revolutions so I can't say if that one is better or worse than the NI products.  
2018/10/28 17:34:43
Glyn Barnes
SmokeyJ628
Acoustic Guitar 2.0 is the one I'm talking about.  Their electric guitar (Direct Guitar) is the one at version 3.0. My bad.

The Pettinhouse guitar is much more flexible than the strummed acoustics and the acoustic revolutions. In the Pettinhouse guitar, you have a "strum" page with vertical bars that you can adjust to put a strum of any type on any beat you want.  So you can build your own strum patterns and save them rather than using only the ones supplied.  Additionally, the Pettinhouse allows you to play the notes you want strummed so you can play traditional chords, you can play chords in any inversion (which some strum products like Ujam's do not allow), and you can play any odd ball chords you want.  So, the Pettinhouse one is all about maximum flexibility relative to the other strum products. 

That being said, that may be *too* much flexibility for some.  If that sounds like too much, then keep using the Strummed Acoustics.  They sound good.  I don't own Acoustic Revolutions so I can't say if that one is better or worse than the NI products.  
A quick question, what time signatures are supported by the Pettinghouse strum sequencer. OTS won't do 9/8 and many others are limited to 4/4 and 3/4.
2018/10/28 23:25:39
SmokeyJ628
For the Pettinhouse sequencer, essentially, you tell it how many steps you want in the step sequencer (from 1 to 32) and then you tell it the rate you wish to go through the steps of sequence (with choices of: 1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16T, 3/64, 1/16, 1/8 T, 3/32, 1/8, 1/4 T, 3/16, 1/4, 1/2 T, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 4/4, Bar).  

You also have a swing control.  

The .nki has 25 preset slots for the sequencer and you can MIDI map the knob.  Each preset can have different settings for the sequencer, so with that you could likely do some pretty unusual time signatures by switching sequencer patterns although I haven't put it through the paces myself.  

2018/11/25 05:13:04
Leee
arznable
Leee
My initial thoughts of Acoustic Revolutions 3.
First, I should point out that I have WAY more virtual guitars than I really need, but each one usually has something unique to offer.  A quick rundown on most of my guitar samplers are: MusicLabs Real Guitars (all of them), Orange Tree Samples -Evolution Series (12 of them), Scarbee Funk Guitarist and Strummed Acoustic 2, Indiginus guitars (including the new Renegade Acoustic).  That last one is where I should have stopped. 

Hi Lee, since you have the OTS Evolution Series already, can I ask how come you also bought guitar strumming virtual instruments like the "NI Strummed Acoustic 2" and the "ISW Acoustic Revolutions 3"?  I think you can create any strumming patterns you want with the OTS Evolution Series, right?  Thanks a lot.

Hi arznable,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I only visit this forum a few times each month.
So why did I buy more strumming guitars since I have so many already?  Well, first of all, I'm a bit of a software junkie.  If it's new, and I can afford it, I'll tend to buy it.  Every virtual guitar plugin has something unique to offer, even if it's different strumming patterns.  And that was my main reason for buying more.  Even though MusicLab's RealGuitars have tons of strumming patterns, I find that more that 3/4 of them I won't use because they either don't sound good, or don't fit the music I'm writing.  (I write mostly classic Rock type songs and alt-Rock too)
So I was attracted to AR3's new variety of strumming patterns.
But with so many DAW software purchases, many times I end up with "buyer's remorse".
I hope that answers your questions.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account