• Software
  • Waves plugins quality vs competitors (p.3)
2018/11/24 01:04:14
Brian Walton
V9 and v10s do NOT work on my machine, once I went to 10, the 9s stopped working and Waves refused to assist without paying the upgrade fee, which I did not do.  I was not alone in this and I know others that sucommed to the upgrade fee to fix that problem.  

2018/11/24 01:28:14
Brian Walton
Kman88
So if splat has great plugs, and I also have ozone, what more do I need?

One poster says sheps omni channel, another says we already have pro channel.

So another way to ask, what is the one waves plugin you use that you couldn't live without?

I'm trying to buy the right bundle(s) and single(s) and keep under $200. But the diamond bundle is tempting at $249. But is the money better spent on gold and ssl 4000? And that one other wave plug you just can't live without.

Thanks,

Kevin

I took a look at the Waves gold bundle, I've owned a number of those and honestly don't see anything in there that would be tempting to really add to what Platinum already gives you. 

Cakewalk could use a better delay, but something like super-tap wouldn't be my choice.  

And at $250, I'd much rather buy ~9 individual plugins I actually want than the plethora of old ones that wouldn't give you an upgrade.

the SSL bundle is ok, but realistically the Buss Comp in the package is the only one I really use.  The channel strips sound great on paper, but I've found in practice I don't love them.  The Omni Channel is far more versitle and to me, sounds better on way more sources.  And few people use the Stand Alone EQ plug in the SSL.  To me, not worth $99.  I'd just buy the Buss (when it goes on sale) and maybe the E-Channel if you really want it.  I got both of those for less than $50 together.

None are live without, but the Abbey Roads Plates just did things I couldn't get other reverbs to do, kinda magical on Vocals.  But it isn't something you can likley use on every track.  Again the Omni Channel just does a lot really well and the Buss Compressor I never hear a bad thing about it and Sonar didn't come with a great buss comp in the box.  J37 tape sounds better than the Kramer (to me) and it might be the placebo effect, but I just put the thing on virtually everything - though it is just a suble color and your friends/clients likley wouldn't notice if it wasn't there.  

If the goal is noticable (better) differences.  I'd vote.  Omni, SSL Buss, and Abbey Road Plates.  Each when on sale for sub $29.

Pro Channel is very good.  The non CA2A comp has never wowed me for general use though (I don't care for the WAVES SSL E/G Channel comp either mind you).   Omni gives more comp types, which makes it better for more sources.

2018/11/24 03:14:34
Kman88
Thanks folks. Great info
2018/11/24 05:19:11
Kman88
With all your help and having watched a slew of videos, 
I made a decision to get Gold and SSL 4000 bundles along with Vocal Rider and Sheps Omni Channel as my free plugs. I also went for H-EQ Hybrid EQ. 

Can't wait to start in on new projects with new tools.

Thanks again,

Kevin
2018/11/24 14:01:27
Leadfoot
Congrats Kevin. I hope you have fun with your new plugs!
2018/11/24 15:15:05
KingsMix
Kman88
With all your help and having watched a slew of videos, 
I made a decision to get Gold and SSL 4000 bundles along with Vocal Rider and Sheps Omni Channel as my free plugs. I also went for H-EQ Hybrid EQ. 

Can't wait to start in on new projects with new tools.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Feel confident in your choice.
For someone just starting out with waves, the decision of Gold and SSL 4000 bundles along with Vocal Rider and Sheps Omni Channel ,H-EQ Hybrid EQ, is a great choice. It actually puts you deep into the world of waves from the start. You have all the tools you need to make your mixes happen. Just take your time with the plugs and learn them inside and out.
Congrats on your purchase!!!!
2018/11/24 21:42:43
Kman88
Thanks. Can't wait to drive in! Ramping up the music making!
2018/11/27 14:38:36
sven450
Quick and late note:  I have found that I rarely use Waves plugs now that I have Platinum, as SPLAT has just about all I need, but most in the Waves H Series still gets used.  The H Delay is really fantastic, and is my go to for everything these days.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account