2018/11/30 20:49:21
paulo
I don't know about you guys, but  I miss the day when buying an album meant that you got something to hold and look at. Maybe even something to treasure because the album sleeve itself was just a nice thing to own, so I was pleasantly surprised when this arrived today......

It's like a small hardback book and the disc sits inside the front cover. It's been out a while so maybe this is old news and quite a common thing with other artists, but outside of pricey limited editions I've not seen this kind of thing before.  I approve.

For anyone who might be curious, this is a taster...

2018/11/30 20:57:07
Leadfoot
Yeah I can remember buying
KISS records in the 70s. Love Gun had this little cardboard gun thing in it. Rock and Roll Over had a full size sticker of the album cover in it. I can't remember what Destroyer and the older ones had, but I'm sure they had something. Cheech and Chong's Big Bambu album had a giant rolling paper in it. Those were the days....
2018/11/30 21:39:40
Glyn Barnes
I think to some extent the resurgence of vinyl has as much with the packaging as anything else. I have not gone down the vinyl path myself not being convinced it sounds better that a well produced CD. I do like a nicely packaged product though and it seems to be the smaller bands that often pull out the stops on the packaging quality to get their limited fan base something that for the support of buying a CD over streaming. 

My favorite all time album packaging was the triple gate-fold for Strawbs "Grave New World" complete with a wonderfully illustrated booklet of lyrics, those where the days!
2018/11/30 21:39:41
jamesg1213
I've bought a few CDs in the last couple of years and been pleasantly surprised with the quality of packaging. One was CIRCU5, there's a nice little slideshow of the CD here;

https://www.circu5.com/
2018/12/01 18:24:36
SteveStrummerUK

2018/12/03 17:12:42
jude77
The three that blew me away were Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, and The White Album.  Opening each of those was as much of an experience as the music was. 
2018/12/03 17:26:00
pwalpwal
there's lots of nice packaging on vinyl again these days, i know because i have some :)
2018/12/03 19:30:45
Bajan Blue
Hi Paulo
Thanks for this - I like that track - not listened to any Gary Numan for ages - shall have to make a plan to try and buy this
Cheers
Nigel

2018/12/03 20:29:50
paulo
SteveStrummerUK

Kind of pricey and special editionish though.
2018/12/03 20:45:55
paulo
Bajan Blue
Hi Paulo
Thanks for this - I like that track - not listened to any Gary Numan for ages - shall have to make a plan to try and buy this
Cheers
Nigel

I'm not a major league fan or anything. I've always had time for him as  a person, but some of his later albums got a bit too dark and heavy for me, but as soon as I heard this it seemed like something of a return to form. The girl is his daughter btw and apparently he was struggling to make it sound right until she came into his studio to ask him something and he got her to sing the bits he wasn't happy with and that's how she came to be on the track.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account