• Software
  • DAW Search: Cool Features not in SONAR (p.2)
2017/12/16 15:03:12
Joe_A
Matron Landslide
Studio Ones Arranger Track and Scratch Pads, the Splitter, Extended FX Chains and Multi Instruments, as mentioned above the Mix Engine FX is pretty awesome, especially the CTC-1 Pro Console Shapper (very,very nice), the Project Page, the new Drop Out protection/ Low latency monitoring thinigy where you can have stuff, vsti's, for example, playing back at a high buffer setting while having your live input at low buffer/latency settings is pretty smick,  where to stop? and it'd not just a matter of 'what?' but also 'how?' it's the way Studio One does stuff, for example SONAR has ARA integration with Melodyne, as does Studio One, but Studio Ones is superior to SONARS, which is no surprise as PreSonus and Celemony developed ARA together.

No, Cubase is better......

Truthfully I'm looking at both, equally rich in their strengths..

I'm just trying to get Matron L to get feisty early on today..(it's a slow morning for me, I'm thinking about buying somethin' today). She's always agreeabley passionate about things.....

Wife is Christmas shopping again. Second grandbaby and all that 🎁.

I don't know what the kids and grandkids are getting but i get new Levis mostly. Hey I said how about new boots but hey that's a couple hundred dollars.

But...I may find another guitar under the tree this Christmas regardless. (wink) He brought me one last yr....... Almost like I pick them out myself (I confess Santa consulted with me on it for a few months).

Other conflicts...I said I was looking at another boat (used boat mind you) and she said I thought we agreed replacement golf clubs.
Ahhh, after 33yrs of Christmases together.

Kids were been moved out a good while, saved some money, now new grandkids....and I'm back to lower on the totem pole. 😁

Back to software! I've been watching YouTube factory and User reviews this morning, but hope to decide soon between Cubase and SOP. They both are great products.
2017/12/16 15:22:19
Magic Russ
35mm
Samplitude has ARA integration, but my favorite features so far that Sonar doesn't have are 1) A full on controller editor that can edit all the button assignments on my ProjectMix (Mackie). 2) Revolver tracks. 3) Loads of metering and analyzers built into the GUI that are very easy on the eye. 4) The concept of virtual projects. 5) The hybrid audio engine.

Could you explain #2,4, and 5 please?
2017/12/16 15:42:13
mumpcake
soens
Each track has built in FORMANT so you can keep your voice/instrument sounding normal.

I thought that people used formant to do things like gender change, or beef up a wimpy vocalist, or make a voice sound alien.  I'm not sure why you would need it to keep things sounding normal.
2017/12/16 18:41:41
bitflipper
Comparing spectral editing in Reaper vs. Samplitude is like comparing MS Paint to Photoshop. There's a good chance MS Paint is all you'll ever need - I use it far more often than Photoshop - but they're not apples-to-apples.
2017/12/16 20:04:19
Dave76
Things I'm loving about Studio One:
- You can create a new audio track by dragging n' dropping a VST just like SONAR lets you do with VSTi. Great for quickly creating a guitar track with amp sim on it.
- You can set audio input to follow track selection -- again, just like SONAR does with VSTi with MIDI input. Also great for guitar tracks since it makes it so smooth switching back and forth between rhythm, lead, etc.. 
- The flexible, parallel VST/VSTi routing capabilities is flat out amazing. It surprises me that this isn't a standard feature in modern DAWs. 
- The Studio One Remote is really nice. I never expected to get much use out of it but it has really surprised me with how convenient it is. The deep integration makes it nicer than using a generic control surface app as a remote and setup takes zero time other than ensuring the remote device is on the same network as your DAW. 
2017/12/16 20:47:43
JClosed
Well - I could name a lot of functions in Cubase (especially MIDI) that Sonar simply has not (like Note Expression, Chord Track that works with audio too, Chord Assistant and Chord Pads). For audio Pitch and Length Sonar uses ARA, but I must say that VariAudio is more than enough for my needs. MIDI is one of the biggest reasons I "jumped ship" to Cubase last April.

For those that want to use music notation, Cubase's Score Editor is simply miles ahead of the Score Editor in Sonar. No need for external programs - It's build in in Cubase. Sure - It's not as sophisticated as Finale or Sibelius (or Steinberg's Dorico), but for me it more than adequate, and no extra costs for any external program.

And second main reason I started to use Cubase more than Sonar is the Control Room. Even for simple things like having a monitor simulation (TB Isone) on my headphone output, having a Room Correction (ARC 2) on my monitors and finally export the result, resulted in a lot of output switching and VST switching in Sonar (with the chance of forgetting a plugin). In Cubase this is a one-time setup, and you can do all these things at the same time without any switching by using the Control Room. Once I was used to it, going back to Sonar was a PITA.

One thing that Sonar did better was in-track bouncing/freezing of MIDI. In Cubase there is always a second (audio) track generated, but I can live with that. At the other hand, one of the new things in Cubase 9.5 is Offline Processing (clip processing), that can safe a lot of processing power and is very flexible to use. I really love that new feature...
2017/12/18 06:12:27
Magic Russ
I've added a summary at the top of the page.  Corrections and additions are welcome, but I'm not going to add features to that summary if I don't understand what the feature is or why it is important. 

I'm not going to add that a feature is "Better in DAW X" than in SONAR unless I see some concrete reason why.  In a lot of cases these things come down to taste and habits.  
2017/12/18 06:14:27
scook
Modify the OP at your peril. The spam blocker has been known to delete entire threads when the initial post gets changed.
2017/12/19 05:04:12
Magic Russ
Seriously?
2017/12/19 05:10:00
scook
yes
here are the most recent restore requests I processed
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3709339
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3710883

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account