• Software
  • Cubase is genuinely impressing me...
2017/12/20 07:13:00
Amicus717
...especially its midi implementation, which is first rate. I know it has its quirks -- like every other DAW out there -- and I'm sure there is a ton of improvements that could be made. But I'm enjoying using it, and throughout this two week demo process, I've been very productive with it. 

One thing that has impressed me, in particular: when it comes to running synths, Cubase seems way more efficient than any other DAW I've tried. I can pile on more synths in Cubase without freezing or rendering tracks than I ever could in Sonar or Studio One. 

Is anyone else finding this to be the case?
2017/12/20 08:47:39
Sir William
I took the plunge and bought Cubase 9 Pro, and I'm very impressed so far. I recently had a health scare so haven't been as busy as I'd like with it, but I agree with you Amicus, it's very engine friendly. I like the look too and it's undockable panes. The built in effects and instruments are cool too.

The only gripe I have is the bloody e-licencer. I have my studio computer, but also take a laptop or with me. Having to remember that key is annoying!
2017/12/20 12:59:06
mudgel
I too went to Cubase. Sadly my PC is broken at the moment but I’ve been checking out a lot of the online videos. I’m impressed by the Steinberg video efforts on YouTube. Very high quality and the program looks great. Can’t wait to really get into it.
2017/12/20 13:23:45
jerrydf
Me too - I only do audio recording + VST instruments (mostly AD2, Kontakt, East West), no synths,  and I'm just feeling my way without the manual and following the rookie questions now appearing on the Cubase forum. (I usually find manuals tend to tell you what menu items do, rather than explain specific processes). So I haven't done anything too demanding. Mostly it's a case of getting the mind-set of the workflow, and that's fairly similar to Sonar.

I've redefined a load of keyboard shortcuts. Cubase seems to have a a great reliance on remembering the difference between ctrl, shift and alt keys for shortcuts. I use PRV a lot for VST instruments and I miss the smart (star) tool Sonar had.

There's also the audio recording over/following an existing audio take issue - that seems to be getting some airplay from Sonar refugees on the Cubase forum. There's already a feature request submitted for a Sonar approach to that;  even so, it's not a huge issue.

I do enjoy using Cubase, and even the dongle doesn't really matter.  If I'd invested that amount of technical development, I'd want to protect it too. 

Sir William - I hope the health scare works out well. 
Mike - I hope the PC gets sorted.

jdf

2017/12/20 13:27:17
jerrydf
p.s. - at least learning Cubase is taking my mind of the Ashes series at the moment. Your team's really taken us to the cleaners this time, Mike!

jdf
2017/12/20 13:35:23
anydmusic
Cubase was my choice too and yes I think its pretty impressive and certainly proving some of my misconceptions wrong. Still finding my way around and learning how to do things. Setting up my Novation Launch Control was a lot easier than Sonar, once I stopped and read the manual, and last night I configured the Control Room. Mixed feelings on this as part of me thinks its a bit much for a small setup like mine but on the other hand it does seem to simplify a few things and expand some options for what is really is a one off task.

I quickly formed the opinion that neither Sonar or Cakewalk were better it's just that where they are different they seem to be very different. Definitely interesting to see some of the different choices each has made over the years especially on third party integration. 
2017/12/20 13:36:54
Sir William
Thanks jdf. I had a minor stroke, but all is well. I'll be back in the saddle after the holidays.
2017/12/20 13:44:56
anydmusic
jerrydf
... I'm just feeling my way without the manual and following the rookie questions now appearing on the Cubase forum. (I usually find manuals tend to tell you what menu items do, rather than explain specific processes). So I haven't done anything too demanding. Mostly it's a case of getting the mind-set of the workflow, and that's fairly similar to Sonar.

This book has been recommended elsewhere as a learning aid:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/darren-jones/the-complete-guide-to-music-technology-using-cubase-9/paperback/product-23048745.html  

They have a 20% discount advertised for the current version.

Note that an update for Cubase 9.5 is being published next month so personally I'm trying to figure out whether to wait or get it earlier and svne a few £s.

PS - please don't mention the cricket...
2017/12/20 14:26:33
raisindot
I'm trying out the demo, tube, and while I was initially leaning toward purchasing it, after getting the Magix deal with Samplitude I'm kind of on the fence to add another. 

While I do prefer the superior MIDI capabilities of Cubase, there are just certain things I find totally unintuitive. For example, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the the areas of the screen I don't want to see (i.e., the mix sections, the VST sections, etc. I Sonar I can just "roll them off" to the side. I can't figure out how to do that in Cubase. Another thing is the learning curve for setting up audio inputs. I still can't figure out how to add more than "Input 1 and 2" for my audio card. Maybe this is the Studio set up thing?

Also, one main reason I wanted to get it was because, like Sonar, it has a "search and replace" style Event filter. But the "Logical Editor" Cubase uses is completely imcomprehensible to me. Yes, I could spend hours learning its language, but I just don't have the time to watch videos and reading manuals to learning how to set up relatively straightforward things.

I think somewhere in Cubase there is an absolutely fantastically powerful DAW stuck inside a Gordian knot of unintuive and complicated GUI programming. 
2017/12/20 14:36:18
Glyn Barnes
I have bought Cubase 9.5 pro on the crossgrade deal as it looks like it will best meet my requirements.

So far I have only set it up and watched a few videos. I will start to learn it after the holidays. There are some impressive features I want to get to grips with.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account