• Software
  • Cubase is genuinely impressing me... (p.3)
2017/12/20 20:11:04
IK_Multimedia
Nice to see some newer user thoughts on Cubase.  I've not been able to give advice from that perspective for quite some time since I've been using it and it has been my main DAW choice for tracking and composing for a very very long time.  I can see how some things may be counter intuitive for newer users, that's a fair assessment IMHO.

The audio setup is something I really like in Cubase - once you get a handle on it, that is.  It is quite useful for me as I've set up three MR816 interfaces daisy-chained so having some flexibility in handling just the 24 channels of analog in and out would otherwise be a chore even with the nice integration they've built in.  This is also why I like Control Room quite a bit but feel that it can be a bit much for some setups as mentioned above and can be a bit of a bear to set up initially.   It is indeed great if you record groups and need talkback and several cue mixes, etc for sure.

I did just start using v9 though, I wonder if I'd benefit much from reading that book.  At that price it might not be a bad idea to pick it up regardless, perhaps when I get the odd helper in here (rare, and usually my daughter who doesn't like this side of the recording process anyway so she's a resistant teenager throughout) it could help me teach them how to do things in a way that is easily understood - or in a way I could send them off to read while I do other things
2017/12/20 20:58:31
Vastman
Cubase has track setups which is like, but even more extensive than sonar's track templates... it really is a time saver and creative flow accelerator.  Haven't set up my new studio yet but am really enjoying learning about this DAW and am quite impressed.  
2017/12/20 21:08:25
Sycraft
Something else that's nice with Cubase is GPU accelerated UI. Doesn't seem like it should matter much, but it really makes things look and feel smoother. Just helps the overall thing feel more responsive.
2017/12/20 21:55:10
anydmusic
jerrydf
Thanks for the book recommendation, Andy, seems like a must-get.
Brian - yes I found the right click menu, it's just not quite as convenient at Sonar's. It's so near that I feel lazy in admitting it, but it's just that right-wrist fine control to select the appropriate tool.

jdf

After watching the 9.5 What's New videos for second time I decided to get the current version 9 book so ordered today. It's supposed to be one used in an A Level course here in the UK to teach recording minus some of the content.

I'm expecting it to arrive after Christmas so will post more about it once I have had a chance to check it out.
2017/12/20 23:27:26
soens
Today Cubase is not producing any sound. Did all the normal checks but nothing. All other DAWs work.
2017/12/20 23:36:42
jerrydf

Andy said -

I'm expecting it to arrive after Christmas so will post more about it once I have had a chance to check it out.

Thanks Andy
Jerry

Edit - sorry - I've just spotted that Andymusic  is actually Graham.

Cheers Graham
Jerry

2017/12/21 02:51:57
noynekker
I also got Cubase 9.5, just to start learning it while gradually transitioning from Sonar Platinum.
I really do like a lot of the features, but being such a long time Cakewalk user, I find myself trying to make it behave just like Sonar.

Firstly, I programmed all my FAV Sonar keyboard shortcuts, so I can keep a similar workflow that I've been accustomed to. Then, I found a way to import track stems from a few Sonar projects, in order to learn on the fly.

It's going well, but there are a few things that really bug me about Cubase that I haven't figured out yet:

How do you remove, or even replace VST instruments ?
Also, trying to clean up things . . . there are channels (from a Cubase template) that I want to remove.
I have spent a lot of time studying this, but can't find any menus where these can be removed.

I've attempted to integrate into the Cubase forum, but it's kind of stiff compared to the good old Sonar forum, where creativity, ideas and opinions flow so freely.
2017/12/21 09:30:00
Frank-US
noynekker

How do you remove, or even replace VST instruments ?
Also, trying to clean up things . . . there are channels (from a Cubase template) that I want to remove.
I have spent a lot of time studying this, but can't find any menus where these can be removed.

I've attempted to integrate into the Cubase forum, but it's kind of stiff compared to the good old Sonar forum, where creativity, ideas and opinions flow so freely.

Remove or exchange instruments: You can click in the VSTi-Rack on the Instrument (let's say Halion Sonic SE) and a pop up appear. Here you can choose either a different instrument or "non" which than removes it.
Or you delete the Instrument track. Deleting tracks you do easily with "right click" on the track/channel and choose out of the pop up "delete track".
2017/12/21 10:37:19
anydmusic
jerrydf

Andy said -

Thanks Andy
Jerry

Edit - sorry - I've just spotted that Andymusic  is actually Graham.

Cheers Graham
Jerry

That's what I get for having a silly handle from the 90s inspired by my kids names.
2017/12/21 11:49:05
Makzimia
Greg who does Cubase live and tutorials on YouTube is one of Cubases largest assets. It reminds of the good old days of cakewalk.. le sigh...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account