2015/04/30 10:28:00
Tom Riggs
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Tom Riggs

I have given up on CCC primarily because of the lost data when a download fails. If the download fails using FireFox I can resume without loosing the part of the file that is already downloaded. Even after a reboot, it is a little tricky but it works.

We have seen a major decrease in failed and partial downloads since we switched to smaller, modular installers. I would be very interested in trying to figure out why this happens in your case though. Would you mind PM'ing your IP address next time this happens? (Or wait for 1.1's download-only option). We can check the logs and find out which location your download was served from. We found some ISPs had some weird stuff going on and they were getting served downloads from locations that were waaay far away.

Another thing worth trying if this happens to you consistently is changing your DNS settings to Google's DNS or Open DNS. I'm geographically closer to New York City. If I use Comcast's (a cable provider here in the US) DNS I end up getting downloads from Atlanta and Washington D.C. that are about a 3rd slower.

Thanks for replying Willy I'm in the Philippines and the connection issues are definitely caused by my isp limiting download bandwidth.

They have recently offered up a new plan which allows for unlimited download without forced slowdown like before. I have changed to that plan and normal browsing and youtube watching is no longer causing problems.

So it may be easier to download now however I have not tried as I prefer to download only and install when I'm ready. So I think I will be more likely to give ccc another try once this update is implemented.

If you can get the down-loader to quit discarding the partial download and save it for later (perhaps with an extension appended to the name), then it's a simple matter of checking for the partial file before starting a new download and pickup where you left off. That way there is no need to retain any information in the program itself about the failed download.

As a mater of fact I was downloading the update and had to switch the power at my house from generator to the main electric (our power was out at the time I started). I shutdown the power to the house and switched over. When I made it back to my studio a while later I remembered that I was downloading the updates and just clicked on restart in FireFox. The Main program update was only about 5mb from completion and it picked up right where it left off. CCC would have trashed the whole download and started from scratch.

Now I know that download failure is not Cakewalks fault but the ability to pick up where it left off saved me another hour of downloading. Given the 3rd world nature of the power and the internet where I live you can see why this is important to me. If I lived in the Manila area I would have other options available but...... I live in the rural area.

The local infrastructure sucks but I have a heck of a view. LOL

On the newer version issue in the first post:

If there is a newer version of the update available then offer the user the option of completing the original download or download the updated installer.

It seems the you are afraid to give the end user any prompts during the download. While that option may be preferred by many including your tech support :) having options that allow more control of the install process is also a good thing.

I think Cake has a great product and I know that the CCC is the way you wish to move forward. I would love to be able to take advantage of its full potential.

Have a great day!
2015/04/30 10:31:55
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
BobF

This is all well and good, Willy, but you'll never work around backhoe fades and similar errors.  Robust handling of download errors should be the spec IMO

Thanks Bob. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, and to an extent C3 is pretty robust it does validate MD5 which your browser will not do for you in the event of a completed but corrupted download. What it does not handle is your connection dropping, that I think we all agree can be improved upon.

We are not getting hundreds (or even tens) of reports from users where this is happening which is why its not something we are focusing on for this cycle. Perusing the logs I can see that in the last two weeks downloads where less than 100% of the total file gets transferred happens less than 0.05% of the time for C3 downloads. That number is closer to 12% for non-C3 downloads (though users have the ability to cancel a download from their browser so that is very likely a contributing factor to that number).

It is definitely a subject that is in our backlog and that we'd like to improve, compared however to the requests we have received for download-only and verbose installs we have decided to focus on those tasks first.
2015/04/30 10:45:24
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Thanks Tom.

Tom Riggs

Thanks for replying Willy I'm in the Philippines and the connection issues are definitely caused by my isp limiting download bandwidth.

We do utilize an edge location in Manila. Next time this happens please do ping me so we can check the logs and verify you're getting the download from what (in theory, though not always) should be the fastest download location.

If you can get the down-loader to quit discarding the partial download and save it for later (perhaps with an extension appended to the name), then it's a simple matter of checking for the partial file before starting a new download and pickup where you left off. That way there is no need to retain any information in the program itself about the failed download.

To some extent yes that is how it works, but to really do it right you need to know the tail of the last bytes that came down the wire and make sure what you have on disk isn't corrupted. It would suck to resume a download to then still end up with a corrupted file. This is actually a report that our support team used to get often from users that had daily download caps. They would pause the download, resume on day two and the final file would be corrupted. 

2015/04/30 15:49:34
BobF
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
BobF

This is all well and good, Willy, but you'll never work around backhoe fades and similar errors.  Robust handling of download errors should be the spec IMO

Thanks Bob. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, and to an extent C3 is pretty robust it does validate MD5 which your browser will not do for you in the event of a completed but corrupted download. What it does not handle is your connection dropping, that I think we all agree can be improved upon.

We are not getting hundreds (or even tens) of reports from users where this is happening which is why its not something we are focusing on for this cycle. Perusing the logs I can see that in the last two weeks downloads where less than 100% of the total file gets transferred happens less than 0.05% of the time for C3 downloads. That number is closer to 12% for non-C3 downloads (though users have the ability to cancel a download from their browser so that is very likely a contributing factor to that number).

It is definitely a subject that is in our backlog and that we'd like to improve, compared however to the requests we have received for download-only and verbose installs we have decided to focus on those tasks first.

Thanks Willy for following up.
2015/05/02 00:50:32
gmp
I'm using 32 bit Platinum. I'll eventually go to 64 bit, but for now I need to stay with 32 bit. Will this new improved Command Center allow me to install 32 bit? So far the only way I could do it was to do a manual install.

I'm glad you're giving us more freedom on the install paths with Command Center. Many of us want keep our C drive lean? I like your idea for a verbose install, many of us missed the custom install options we'd have in the past. Thanks for everyone's work on this. I think the Command Center is a good idea that just needs improvement.
2015/05/02 01:11:13
Kamikaze
An 'Un-hide' option would be useful. I've hidden a few things, because with say Melodyne, that I had upgraded, it was constantly showing as needing to be installed, even though it was, same with the XLN stuff. With more and more things being added, as breaking them into smaller chunks being welcomed, hiding is a really useful feature.

If Later change my mind about something, say you incorporate a new feature in with something I previously had no interest, I have to go to the Program Data file and manual change the text in the file. Or maybe I hide something by mistake.

I currently hide Dim and Rapture as well, and should I go with Rapture Pro, I wouldn't need either of these headers in the future.

I'll probably go through the loop collections and other content from Sonar and do the same thing, once additional wanted content that will come over the year start to fill up that screen.

I can see that ideally this would require some kind of box showing all the hidden items do deselect, but maybe a half way step for the moment could be an 'Un-hide all' option, so you reset everything.

2015/05/02 11:50:01
Kamikaze
Having unhidden everything earlier. I have just been reminded that when you hid something, it does an update straight after. so if you want to say hide all the loop content, you have to sit through several update checks. The plus side though, is that once they are hidden they are not checked for updates, making hiding them more worthwhile.
2015/05/02 21:15:20
...wicked
I'm sorry, the wording in in the OP is a little confusing, do you mean to say you are not addressing the following items in a 1.1 update:
  • Multiselect/custom install selections.
  • Download pause/resume
  • Cancel downloads in progress
Meaning these features won't appear in 1.1? 

2015/05/03 10:34:46
lawajava
The only thing I care about for CCC is that I can choose where to install everything. I see mention of Cakewalk Content but not mention of the standard feature for seemingly every program in the world but CCC - which is the dialog, "where do you want to install?".

I can't use CCC at all without this capability.

Did you address that in your comments above or is it off the table?
2015/05/04 04:45:07
Tom Riggs
lawajava, the verbose install option mentioned in the op would give you the same level of control during the install you had in previous versions.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account