2017/11/30 13:54:23
anydmusic
One certainty with software is what's stable for one user is unstable for another.
2017/11/30 14:12:16
Zo
Yep one thing for sure , sonar was unique , another one also is that it hads room for improvement for becoming the best daw period ....sole features we have since 2 decades are onlybimplemented now on other daws , this meant a lot about who designed it it ...and the philosophy behind , it tried to become like others while it was already ahead ...
2017/11/30 16:22:42
joey90405
holy crap!! that's a lot of information thank you all. i just talked to my guy at Sweetwater and they can do the crossgrade from sonar to studio one.
taking in all you guys said has my freak out meter come out of the red back down to acceptable level.
2017/11/30 19:14:26
Joe_A
anydmusic
There's been lots of discussion on the relative merits of both of these products. My take on the concensus is that neither is a true replacement for Sonar but that either will be a good place to start your journey assuming you are prepared to make some changes.

If you look at the comments you will see that what one person calls feature rich is another's bloat. That is to say it all depends.

I chose based on a few things that mattered to me. Only time I will tell if I made the right choice. However things turn out I'm not expecting either to suddenly become more like Sonar to keep me happy. I am becoming an Ex Sonar user.

For context I had planned to continue with Sonar but changed my mind based on the cross grade offers. Unfortunately Sonar is no longer a competitor so while I am sure that the others will continue to try and win over Sonar users in the months ahead I'm not expecting the commercial offers to be as attractive.

My decision to change was a financial one the product choice was based on the features and functions that matter to me.

It seems inaccurate to use the term "bloat" just because a package has features that individual may never use. Each to find what features desired (with room to grow as a wise choice) and make a purchase accordingly. But not disparage others untruthfully. If want to, list each example of "bloat", which would be helpful. Other than that just seems a waste of time.
2017/11/30 19:44:11
Eddie TX
Joe_A
It seems inaccurate to use the term "bloat" just because a package has features that individual may never use. Each to find what features desired (with room to grow as a wise choice) and make a purchase accordingly. But not disparage others untruthfully. 

Don't you know how things work in online forums? Each of us must choose a side. Then we take turns insulting each other. 

Seriously, S1 and Cubase are both perfectly good DAWs, used by thousands of music makers every day. S1 has a freely downloadable 30-day demo which will let you get a feel for how its suits your particular taste and workflow. It would be great if the latest version of Cubase could similarly be demoed without having to buy a dongle, but there are lots of descriptions, feature lists, videos, etc. -- this may be enough to let you know whether it's right for you.

One thing is apparent, given the history: Cubase is the more expensive proposition. The only upgrade Presonus has charged for since I've used it (bought in 2013) is the major one from v2 to v3, and I paid less than $100 for that during a sale. All subsequent updates up to the current version 3.5.x have been free, with lots of nice features added.

One unique S1 feature I haven't seen mentioned here is the "Mix FX" plugin slot for bus tracks. It's an insert where special plugins go that affect multiple tracks at once, reaching down into the mix engine to achieve things that normal plugins can't do. Very interesting feature, with lots of potential. Softube's TAPE plugin and PreSonus' own console emulators are currently the only plugins that can be used at Mix FX inserts, but more are coming.

Cheers,
Eddie
2017/11/30 20:27:29
anydmusic
Joe_A
anydmusic
There's been lots of discussion on the relative merits of both of these products. My take on the concensus is that neither is a true replacement for Sonar but that either will be a good place to start your journey assuming you are prepared to make some changes.

If you look at the comments you will see that what one person calls feature rich is another's bloat. That is to say it all depends.

I chose based on a few things that mattered to me. Only time I will tell if I made the right choice. However things turn out I'm not expecting either to suddenly become more like Sonar to keep me happy. I am becoming an Ex Sonar user.

For context I had planned to continue with Sonar but changed my mind based on the cross grade offers. Unfortunately Sonar is no longer a competitor so while I am sure that the others will continue to try and win over Sonar users in the months ahead I'm not expecting the commercial offers to be as attractive.

My decision to change was a financial one the product choice was based on the features and functions that matter to me.

It seems inaccurate to use the term "bloat" just because a package has features that individual may never use. Each to find what features desired (with room to grow as a wise choice) and make a purchase accordingly. But not disparage others untruthfully. If want to, list each example of "bloat", which would be helpful. Other than that just seems a waste of time.

Hi Joe

Looks like you did not read what I said. 
2017/11/30 20:32:40
anydmusic
Eddie TX
Joe_A
It seems inaccurate to use the term "bloat" just because a package has features that individual may never use. Each to find what features desired (with room to grow as a wise choice) and make a purchase accordingly. But not disparage others untruthfully. 

Don't you know how things work in online forums? Each of us must choose a side. Then we take turns insulting each other. 

One thing is apparent, given the history: Cubase is the more expensive proposition. 

Agree that Cubase is the expensive option but cheaper for me than buying something else then ending up buying Cubase which for me seemed like a real possibility. 

Still reckon either will work for most people though.
2017/11/30 20:44:26
Joe_A
@aEddie;
Ahh, but my comment wasn't directed at you. Note each time I mentioned "one" does this/that, and "it seems", not that you are a bad, bad person 😊.

But I agree with you...this is a feisty forum. Things do go entertainingly off the rails sometimes.

Edit: PS I see what spell check did to me, so I see your point.
2017/11/30 21:30:03
Eddie TX
I didn't think you were directing comments at me, Joe_A. I was just generally observing that some folks were already starting to get fanboyish about their choice of DAW. Carry on!

Cheers,
Eddie

2017/11/30 21:56:12
Joe_A
As yet I'm undecided. S1 or Cubase my likely choices..at this time. Heck, I might go PT...no, 99% no on that.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account