• Software
  • DAW Search: Key SONAR Features that Other Candidates Lack (p.2)
2017/12/18 05:47:00
Magic Russ
I have started a summary at top of the thread.  Let me know of any additions or errors.
2017/12/18 06:39:44
mettelus
Correction to the OP, Samplitude does have the ability to create a tempo map from an audio file. Two methods come to mind (but there are others, I believe):

1) With audio in a track, right click and open the "Remix Agent..." near the bottom. This opens a dialog box to allow you to adjust tempo map (set start marker, yada yada), and even use tap tempo to insert markers playing back the clip.

2) (My preferred, since it is the equivalent of SONAR's "Set Measure/Beat at Time Now.") In the Marker timeline is an option from that drop down (yes, that itty bitty "marker menu") - "Tempo Marker->Set Grid Position Marker" This is unassigned by default (I assigned mine to Shift-M same as SONAR) but can be set to whatever, and defaults to the closest beat (without the popup dialog that SONAR does).

General comment about tempo maps for where this would apply (best for covers or where the entire project must be set from the track(s)). This method is convenient regardless of DAW so long as 1) they import tempo maps with MIDI files and 2) you have a Melodyne version that exports MIDI (not sure which ones do not have this?). Open the track in Melodyne stand alone and export a MIDI file (or Tempo file in M4), then import that into [whatever DAW] to set the tempo map, then import the wav used in Melodyne. This "workaround" has been available even without drag/drop to the tempo track provided the export condition of Melodyne is met.

Edited for typo.
2017/12/19 05:11:31
Magic Russ
Fixed that last one.

Also was messing around with Mixcraft demo.  I loaded in a MIDI file and it assigned an instrument track to each track.  I think that's actually cooler than how Cakewalk redirects things to TTS-1 because if I wanted to redirect a track to a VSTi in Cakewalk, it would involve a few steps, where in Mixcraft I can just reassign the instrument for the track.
2017/12/19 14:19:56
Michael A.D.
bitflipper
I haven't seen SONAR's dim solo feature on any other DAWs yet.
I haven't seen SONAR's track peak markers in any other DAW yet.

Reaper.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account