2017/12/17 04:37:14
AdamGrossmanLG
so i downloaded demos of every product and I know there is a learning curve, but:

A:  I don't feel like learning
B:  these products don't work like Sonar really.  The mouse movements, architecture, GUI, user interface.  Hell, even just splitting clips feels like a chore.   

Sonar shined when it came to usability, that's the one thing I will give it.   FRUSTRATED OVER HERE!!!
2017/12/17 04:45:44
abacab
A. only option left on the table... 
2017/12/17 04:56:01
Kev999
AdamGrossmanLG
...there is a learning curve, but:
...I don't feel like learning...
...feels like a chore... 

I can relate to that. I've got a trial copy of another DAW installed and I haven't got very far with it yet. I had a few spare hours yesterday, but I couldn't get motivated. I launched it and had a brief look, then moved on and worked on a Sonar project instead.
2017/12/17 04:58:30
LOSTinSWIRL
I feel your pain.
2017/12/17 05:35:41
Amicus717

I was bummed as anyone when Cakewalk shut the doors, but I tried to be as positive as I could in the aftermath, and looked at testing other DAWs as an adventure and something new to try out. That worked for a while, and its been interesting touring the landscape, so to speak. I've learned some cool stuff, and I've come to appreciate that the other DAWs all have great features and real strengths. 

But the whole process began to really wear on me, and after two weeks of testing, I went back into Sonar and opened up a project I'd been working on for a few months, and realized just how much I missed it. I love Sonar, quirks and all. There is nothing quite like it. 

2017/12/17 05:38:36
bitflipper
I try to separate learning-curve annoyances from assessing underlying functionality. If I don't know how to do something, I don't sweat it as long as I know the DAW is capable of doing that thing. Even if it's a clumsy procedure, you can get used to any idiosyncrasies over time.

That said, I still compare other DAWs' learning curves to my early experiences with SONAR. With SONAR, I recorded my first song on Day One. I'd recorded half a dozen tunes before I ever looked at any documentation. I used it for nearly a year before it occurred to me that there might be an online forum that I should check out. Figuring out all these other DAWs seems like a lot more work than I remember SONAR being.

Then again, I may just be mis-remembering. Back then it hadn't yet occurred to me that I might want to split a clip.
2017/12/17 07:00:54
sharke
I think if Sonar was your first DAW, or at least the first one that you used seriously, then you had the advantage of not going in with any preconceptions about how things should work. You didn't have years or rote learning and muscle memory fighting against your endeavor to learn something new. And, of course, if you learned how to use Sonar 10 or 15 years ago, your brain was significantly younger! Going into a new DAW now, you have all of your experiences with Sonar interfering with the learning process. So whereas your initial experiences with Sonar might have been plain sailing, the sailing is unlikely to be as plain when you're diving into another DAW with all of your Sonar baggage poking and prodding you. 

It's also worth remembering that most of the world's music is not recorded with Sonar. In other words, your fellow hobbyists or engineering pros or whomever seem to be using these other DAWs with great success. My guess is that for everything you think is better or more convenient in Sonar, there'll be something in the new DAW that, given time, you'll come to find easier than in Sonar. You just haven't found those things yet. It's also worth remembering that users of other DAWs, if they happened to switch to Sonar, would probably think there was a whole bunch of stuff that was ass backwards compared to what they're used to. 

Give yourself some serious time for your brain to rewire. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash. 
2017/12/17 08:21:48
JClosed
I can feel for those that want a "secured" place where they can work without bumping into a new learning challenge. Been pressed to learn new things can disrupt the working flow, and slow down your production.

For myself, however, things are always "on the move". Music is not the only "discipline" I am working in. I also work with graphical art, especially with holographic 3D constructs (yes, I own an holographic vibrant-isolated workbench and a couple of lasers) and 3D printing. I own several DAW's (Ableton Live, FL-Studio, Cubase and Sonar) and use them not only for myself, but also for those that need some recording and (a bit of) mastering.

Needless to say my learning process is never "finished". I am always on the move, learning new techniques and looking out for new developments. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, and I am not getting any younger (I am 62 now), but I love to delve into new things and keep learning whatever I can.

As said, I can feel for those that feel forced to "jump ship" and feel pressed to learn a new DAW, but I do not think it is very handy to "lay all your eggs in one basket". For AdamGrossmanLG I would advise to alway have some knowledge for at least two DAW's. If something like Sonar happens to your new DAW, you always have a "backup plan". It is always a good idea to figure out how you can move projects from one DAW to another. I should advise to do that at least one time with a medium large project as "learning experience". Knowing how that must be done will make you feel more secure in case of calamities.
2017/12/17 10:38:43
VinylJunkie
Also worth noting if you've used Sonar for a long time is that you've grown with it. That is learnt the basics and then got to grips with new features as the product developed. Which is not quite the same as learning a fully featured DAW in one go.
2017/12/17 11:38:20
35mm
Yes, it's all about familiarity. Don't forget though, there are plenty of people who just couldn't get on with Sonar and others who jumped ship way before the Cakewalk closure. Sonar is what we got used to and now it's time to get used to something else.

I was going to get another DAW and learn it while I continued to work in Sonar. However, that plan changed because, in reality, the only way to learn another DAW is to use it full time and commit to it. That's what I have been doing with Samplitude. Since getting it I haven't touched Sonar. Launching Sonar now depresses me and I just don't see the point when I have something new that is still supported going forward.

I have now completed my first substantial project in Samplitude. The learning curve hasn't got in my way too much. I have almost certainly done some things wrong and missed out on using features that could have really helped or saved me time, just because I don't know about them yet and I have wanted to keep things flowing rather than spending too much time learning. I am now really enjoying Samplitude and I think in many ways it's better than Sonar. There are still some things I miss about Sonar.

I think the best advice is just to move on as soon as you can. You will never get on with a new DAW while you are still demoing it because you are not committed to it. Once you buy it the investment gives you the incentive to use it and learn it.

It is important to try the demos out though. Before the Samplitude crazy deal came along I bought Studio One. It wasn't really what I wanted but Cubase had a graphics issue running on my system and S1 seemed like the only option after trying out various demos. It was a waste of money. I hardly use it because Samplitude is just so much better for me. So test them out, then commit to the one that works best for you and which you enjoy the most, buy it and start using it and you will soon forget about Sonar.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account