• Software
  • Frustrated With Moving DAWS (p.2)
2017/12/17 15:20:24
THambrecht
Here the same.
I have no time and no disire to learn a new DAW. Because we have to misuse a DAW for digitizing projects - not for make music. . 

We worked 15 years with over 10.000 projects with SONAR. I downloaded a lot of DAW-Demos and we have decided to go with Cubase Pro. All other DAWs are not suitable for digitizing and restoring analog audio.
Our problem is, that we have projects with 18 months of working hours and some customers have subsequent changes (for 2 years) after the work is finished. So we must use SONAR parallel to Cubase at least for 3 years.
I start a migration of Cubase an Januar 2018.
We open a bottle of champagne if someone saves Cakewalk.
2017/12/17 16:00:39
chuckebaby
I did a session this week (about 20 hours) and every once in a while I would stop and say...
"How could this product not be making money" ? Its just amazing the things it can do.
I know other DAWS can do similar things but Sonar is a great DAW. I enjoy using it.
Sad state of affairs. Oh well im sure when I plant a new DAW seed I will be finding the same joy some day.
2017/12/17 19:33:12
jpbanksjr
About a year ago I decided to try the Cubase 9 demo and at first, I didn't care for it but I kept trying it and eventually it won me over.  One of the things I fell in love with was the "re-record" feature.  If I made a gross mistake recording a midi track in Sonar I'd have to stop, delete the recording, back up and start again.  In Cubase, it's just the press of a button and I'm laying down the take again.  I know it sounds trivial, but it really has made a difference in my music making process.

Of course, there are other things that Sonar was superior at such as bouncing tracks to audio.  But as others have stated, once you purchase a new DAW (making a commitment), the learning curve really isn't that bad.  Whether you stay with Sonar or move on to another DAW I wish you all continued success in your music creating endeavors.

JP
2017/12/17 20:58:54
ampfixer
Sonar is still working fine. If we get a stable set of installation media I hope to use it for many years.
2017/12/18 00:10:29
abacab
ampfixer
Sonar is still working fine. If we get a stable set of installation media I hope to use it for many years.

Still running Cakewalk Project 5 and Sonar X3 (32-bit) side by side with Splat. 
2017/12/18 03:44:20
dubdisciple
AdamGrossmanLG
so i downloaded demos of every product and I know there is a learning curve, but:

A:  I don't feel like learning
B:  these products don't work like Sonar really.  The mouse movements, architecture, GUI, user interface.  Hell, even just splitting clips feels like a chore.   

Sonar shined when it came to usability, that's the one thing I will give it.   FRUSTRATED OVER HERE!!!

I can understand your frustration, but hang in there. I know some programs allow you to customize shortcuts, so you can easily create some familiarity. Some features will actually be an improvement. Hitting D to duplicate is lightning fast and intuitive once you adjust. You got this!
2017/12/18 14:36:10
bdickens
The learning curve, I think, isn't so much of an issue as the UNlearning curve.
2017/12/18 16:48:59
thepianist65
I can relate to this. I bought Studio One and spent a week or two just using it, reading documentation, watching videos, and just plain experimenting. Just started to feel like I was "getting" it, and it would do what I needed it to do without much fuss. Then a few days without doing anything, and I started to record a new project, using SO3, and got frustrated within a few minutes!  For whatever reason, I have been using Sonar exclusively since the 90's, and I just know for the most part how it works the way I need it to. So I went back to Sonar to do this particular song and it was like night and day to me. I know it's just a question of familiarity, but really, should it be this hard to learn something new?  I'm old, but I ain't senile (hmm, ok, maybe I'm forgetting something...). Anyway, I know I have to stick to it, but I'm basically too lazy and when I'm in a hurry, it's Sonar or nothing. 
2017/12/18 17:08:08
cool
The first thing I did when I ran the Reaper was put ALL hotkeys like in Sonar. Including navigation and mouse actions. With this, learning the program is much easier. But not all programs are so flexible in the customization of keys and mouse, unfortunately.
2017/12/18 17:35:29
Glyn Barnes
bitflipper
I try to separate learning-curve annoyances from assessing underlying functionality. If I don't know how to do something, I don't sweat it as long as I know the DAW is capable of doing that thing. Even if it's a clumsy procedure, you can get used to any idiosyncrasies over time.

^^^^^^^
This.

I did not sweat too much with demos and decided to get Cubase on the cross-grade offer because it looked like the best option for my needs. I know it will be able to do everything I want when I eventually find my way around. I am not in a big rush, I doubt Sonar is going to fail me for some time yet. I am just starting to run through the Groove 3 videos and get a feel for the way it works while continuing to work in Sonar. There are some nice MIDI functions I am looking forward to using.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account