2017/12/18 16:06:26
JohnEgan
I see Craig Anderton is posting tips of the week for building FX Chains in Studio 1, (I saw on Twitter), probably from his website, does this indicate where he is migrating towards? (which may be a bonus)
Otherwise it was somewhat disturbing to read S1 is somewhat behind in multi-core CPU processing use?
Im still very undecided where to migrate to at this time.
2017/12/18 17:08:05
TheMaartian
Anderton has been using the SO Project page for mastering for some time, so it's no surprise that he'd look for another DAW through which to monetize his contributions (you know, the ones the rest of us make for free). Not talking about the initial release; consider the Big Book of SONAR Tips. He cobbled together Vol. 2 after Cakewalk'd the plank. Peeps bought it. Whatever.
2017/12/18 17:24:19
JonD
JohnEgan
Otherwise it was somewhat disturbing to read S1 is somewhat behind in multi-core CPU processing use?

I've read inklings of this before... Is there a specific (recent) thread where you saw this?
2017/12/18 18:52:27
dcumpian
JonD
JohnEgan

I've read inklings of this before... Is there a specific (recent) thread where you saw this?

Mostly addressed in SO v3.5. There is still more to do, but it is much, much better than it was.

Dan
2017/12/18 19:08:24
JonD
Good to hear.  Thanks, Dan.
2017/12/18 20:15:23
JohnEgan
JonD
JohnEgan

http://answers.presonus.com/10836/multicore-support-needed-especially-for-multi-instruments

2017/12/18 20:29:54
batsbrew
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002611926-Studio-One-3-5-Audio-Dropout-Protection-and-Low-Latency-Monitoring-FAQ

Why do I no longer have control over multiprocessing and CPU cores?
The multiprocessing and CPU cores parameters in Preferences/Audio Setup have been removed because Studio One now manages all multi-core and multi-processing related functions as part of Dropout Protection. For Dropout Protection to work, the application needs full control over these parameters. The upside of this is: there are less functions to deal with when setting up an audio device while Studio One dynamically optimizes CPU efficiency for low latency monitoring and plug-in processing.
2017/12/18 20:55:20
Jeff Evans
CPU distribution has been improved in a recent update.  You have to understand too that they distribute CPU usage across tracks and buses. Not wise to say put 6 CPU intensive plugins in a row on a track. Better to send the track to a buss and put some of the more intensive plugins there.

With care very large sessions can be easily handled.

Maybe you should check this out if you are worried:

https://www.youtube.com/w...=5zhXijvtkNc&t=65s
2017/12/18 21:01:26
dcumpian
I'd say S1 handles CPU cores as well as Sonar did prior to the plugin load balancer that Cakewalk added.

Dan
2017/12/18 21:30:00
Jeff Evans
There is also a great feature too when you double click on the little CPU meter down the bottom a large window pops up and shows every plugin and every resource being used and a little bar graph against every one.  Often it is only one or two things that can be chewing things up.  Rendering these things out is super fast in Studio One.

When converting midi parts with virtual instruments to audio as well there are options there that allow you to go back at anytime after a complete render.  Virtual instruments are rendered out to audio, the midi file is set aside and muted.  But later with one click you can instantly go back to the Midi file with the virtual instrument again in order to edit the music etc..

Mai Tai can be a resource hog but doing simple things like simply altering the ADSR settings so that less voices are overlapping will greatly reduce the amount of CPU it uses.  Choosing your voicing carefully as well really helps.  You don't need 6 voices for example to state a minor 9 chord either.  You can state virtually any chord with a bass note and 3 voices.  It sounds better too. 

There are also Mai Tai quality options too which often will sound identical but use less CPU. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account