• Software
  • Don't Forget The GUIs in your Post SONAR Determination. (p.2)
2017/12/10 21:11:50
jude77
I agree totally.  Aesthetics is critical.  I always thought SONAR was beautiful and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed working with it.  I was very pleased to discover that Reaper allows you to change themes easily and some of them are very impressive.  That's certainly not the reason to buy a DAW, but still a very important one.
2017/12/10 21:35:10
TheMaartian
Also consider the UI after you've used it for a time. The following isn't about computer UIs, but I think it's germane.

Some decades ago, Denny's Restaurants hired a consulting firm to help it pick a new color scheme for its stores. The twin requirements were that, on initial entry, hit all of the right buttons (bright, warm, inviting, blah, blah, blah), but after a short time became unconsciously slightly disturbing (gotta turn tables!). After a bunch of testing, they came up with a black/orange combo. It did what it was designed to do. Customers liked the refresh! They just didn't notice that they weren't hanging around quite as long. But the outdoor sign stayed yellow and red. Why? Those two colors make use eat!

Moral of the story?

Something that looks good initially can become a subconscious irritant.

With Studio One, I am still a little put off by all of the bright track colors I see in videos, but I'm beginning to see the value of it in comping, for example. I prefer the brighter pastel colors (if that's not an oxymoron). But what I'm really getting comfortable with is the 50 Shades Of Grey (well, not that many) in the base UI (without all of the user track coloring added). I find it easy to read and not eye fatiguing.
2017/12/10 21:49:35
telecharge
TheMaartian
...but after a short time became unconsciously slightly disturbing...

That explains the goth kids who hang out all night.
2017/12/11 14:13:13
stevethompson
During testing new DAWs I've come across a somewhat related issue - in a few of them the Nugen ISL2 limiter causes an Open GL error and crashes the DAW. No issue ever with Sonar, and a couple others. 

Maybe a graphics driver issue, I'm using the onboard Intel graphics (I use the available slots for a firewire card and 2 UAD2 cards) and apparently it's at the latest version, but maybe it's not a graphics driver issue - it prolly is :) - but I don't want to have to take the time right now to address that during intense DAW-s/hopping. 
2017/12/15 05:18:53
mkerl
That's what I say. And it's not merely colours or Letter size. It's how functions are implanted to create an intuitive workflow. That's the demanding task of advanced GUI design. In this respect I'm pleased with S1. 

Cheers 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account