• Software
  • Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase....
2017/11/28 18:58:29
dannyjmusic
doing so because of price? Just curious..
2017/11/28 19:10:00
dcumpian
Nope.
2017/11/28 19:10:22
Woodyoflop
Mostly just my opinion based off thepast few days of research iv conducted and the little experience I've had with Cubase. From my research, Cubase focused a bit more on the Midi side (I could be wrong, but just what I've seen) where as i deal mostly with Audio mixing/mastering so i use almost no Midi except for the occasional vocoder or to trigger vocal scatters/stutters etc... which i usually do manually anyways. Studio one has Melodyne integrated through ARA like Sonar, and aux tracks/busses are similar, so that feels a bit more like home. The lay out as far as the windows and style of the dockings are very similar to Sonar and can be undocked/moved etc... I seriously considered Cubase for a few days, especially since I own Wavelab. Cubase and Wavelab work very well together as they can share projects for different aspects of the mixing process.

So in summary, its a great price and it feels much like home in Sonar although I still miss little details that Sonar has that just make it smoother such as the smart tool which made it easy to navigate pretty much everything. Just my 2 cents.
2017/11/28 19:12:32
Woodyoflop
In all honesty, i will still be using Sonar for the foreseeable future but just trying to learn another DAW when or if the day comes that it no longer works or becomes obsolete.

2017/11/28 19:14:01
dannyjmusic
thanks...I'm leaning toward Cubase because of having to write to picture, and it seems a little better in handling video
I like the new sampler track too. But I hate the Ilicense USB thingy!
2017/11/28 19:14:29
synkrotron
dannyjmusic
doing so because of price? Just curious..

A couple of things for me.

Price.

I don't like hardware dongles, although I admit that this would negate any online or even offline activation problems.

No download option. Only boxed software available. Minor thing, but a thing for me all the same.

I have tried Cubase in the past, quite a long time ago to be fair, but I couldn't get my head around it in the same time I have been able to with Studio One (and Mixcraft, which I have already tried).

No downloadable demo. I don't want to bother with Elements.

And I have just run out of time and patience anyways, and pulled the trigger on Studio One.

cheers,

andy
2017/11/28 19:16:05
Audioicon
I am getting both Cubase and Studio one.
But Cubase will be my primary DAW.

Currently I do not use Soft Synth (never) and I think Cubase will integrate better with my hardware devices especially given majority of my sound sources are Yamaha, which own Steinberg.

AI
2017/11/28 19:19:14
JonD
I chose Studio One over Cubase. And though I'm a heavy MIDI user, I don't delve into the deep MIDI features that Cubase has.  If you need those, then Cubase clearly has the advantage.

But overall, I'd have to point to three reasons why I chose S1 over Cubase.

- Since v7, the look of Cubase has been a big turnoff for me. 
- Less bloat.  I'm still an old tape machine and mixer guy.  Don't want or need the other stuff.  Cubase has way more other stuff.
- A lot of the mixers/producers I follow on YouTube use Studio One.  

And yes, to a lesser extent, the upgrade cost was a factor. 
2017/11/28 19:22:12
space_cowboy
I used to have Cubase (VST 5.1-Cubase 3 or 2 - I forget).  It was unwieldy and had very cluttered interface.  But the thing that bugged me the most was the forum participants.  I was treated like an idiot for asking questions - usually about stability and locking up all the time.  And there was no customer support back then.  

The guys that were the architects behind Cubase wrote the code for Studio One.  I think they tried to get rid of bloat and make the DAW simpler.  

I bought Studio One 1 when it was released as I was having some issues with Sonar (don't recall), but found it to be immature.  I have upgraded the 1-2 and recently the 2-3 for Studio One.  It has come a long way.  

I know I am missing the serious MIDI editing capabilities of Sonar and Cubase.  I hope they develop more tools.  I have a couple of awesome vintage synths (memorymoog, waldorf wave and a decidedly non-MIDI Synthi AKS).  Plus I have the DSI OB6.  I want to be able to record SYSEX at some point.  

But I mainly use some drum program (AD2, SSD, Kontakt), some vintage keys (Arturia gets a lot of use) and track guitars, bass and vocals.  For that, SO3 is excellent.  
2017/11/28 19:24:59
mettelus
I bought S1 last Christmas with my "lifetime upgrade" money. It really boils down to personal workflow, so a thorough demo is advised in any case. Some things are intuitive, others require research, but there is a lot to play with (and more in some respects).

I cannot speak to Cubase though. I never considered them because I wasn't in a "must switch" mentality. Do not feel pressured to switch (SONAR still works), and go the route that suits you.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account