• Software
  • Samplitude: a first look (p.3)
2017/12/11 14:32:04
Jim Roseberry
mkerl
I installed the demo and it killed my ASIO-Drivers (Quadcap) and replaces them with own driver. No Sound with Sonar or Studio One. So, it seems, this one is not for me. Terminated immediately.

Samplitude installs a generic "Magix Low Latency ASIO driver" (which is meant for folks using an audio interface without a proper ASIO driver).  You can uninstall this driver.

BTW, Cubase also installs a generic low-latency ASIO driver.
You can go into the Registry and remove it... and it will no longer appear in your DAW applications.

When there are multiple ASIO drivers installed, it can "bump" the driver in your DAW application.
It doesn't "replace" your original ASIO driver.  That driver is still there.

If this is the reason you're not looking at Samplitude, I'd suggest having another look.  
2017/12/11 14:34:52
Jim Roseberry
mkerl
The point is, I Can not easily change it back. 

Actually, you can easily change it back.  
Go to Control Panel>Programs And Features... and uninstall the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver.
Now, go into Sonar... and confirm that your original ASIO driver is listed.
2017/12/11 17:41:44
mkerl
Jim Roseberry
mkerl

Go to Control Panel>Programs And Features... and uninstall the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver.

Haha, ok, yah, that's simple, I agree :) :) - didn't think of that, was just irritated. Kind of allergic to driver issues :)

Thanks

Cheers :)
2017/12/11 22:58:25
mkerl
Jim Roseberry
mkerl

[image]file:///C:/Users/yolum/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/msohtmlclip/clip_image001.gif[/image]

Ok, I followed your Suggestion, to have another look at Samplitude. First: The Magix Driver does not appear in the Programs and Feature List (Controlpanel). 

My second approach was an interesting experience. When Samp started after installation, it loaded QuadCap-Drivers. I next checked the box for automatic VST-Search (Preferences/Effects/Vst2+Vst3). It took some time, then Samp suddenly closed. Restart, a notice plopped up, no QuadCap-Driver installed. Checked Preferences, no Quadcap.
I closed Samp, opened Sonar, checked Preferences and this time the Quadcap-Drivers didn't show up in the driverpage at all. Not greyed out, nothing. Magix Driver was the only one. I would say: killed!!

So I restarted my system to reload Quadcap-Drivers. (complete reinstall according to Interface-reference) Splat: yes, here we are, even better, this time I could easily check them instead of Magix - opposed to my experience with my first attempt. Samp: yes, Quadcap available and working. Vst/vst3/vsti listed in the effects menu. Magix Driver in Progs List in Controlpanel? No, still not.

So, for the Moment, seems working after System restart. But I'm mistrustful now. My first attempt was a bad opening. Like a little Diva, a bit uptight, not willing to integrate properly. Hope, she got it now

Greets

2017/12/12 22:42:02
mkerl
Jim Roseberry
mkerl

I made a second Attempt, and, no, it's not so easy. Magix Driver doesn't show up in the Progs-List / Controlpanel. In fact, I needed several system restarts to get things working . . . And I don't understand, how somebody can talk of an intuitive GUI when it comes to Samp. Yeah, it's powerful, but somewhat overloaded. For workflow and creativity S1 is outstanding IMHO.

Thanks for your time

2017/12/12 23:15:00
backwoods
merl: I seem to recall something similar happening to me when I auditioned amplitude a while back. To get back studio captures from greyed out state I had to first deselect ALL the magic drivers. Then the studio capture drivers were available again. Hope you get it sorted- Samplitude is well worth having a look at
2017/12/12 23:34:06
mkerl
backwoods
merl: I seem to recall something similar happening to me when I auditioned amplitude a while back. To get back studio captures from greyed out state I had to first deselect ALL the magic drivers. Then the studio capture drivers were available again. Hope you get it sorted- Samplitude is well worth having a look at

Unfortunately that didn't work on my system at the first attempt. I had to reinstall my Quadcape Interface after installing Samp to have them available. Don't know, like a little diva, a bit uptight :) 
But after all, I have decided to stay with sonar and have  fun with S1. Maybe someday I have to look again for a DAW with surround sound support. But for now, Sonar does it. I'm not the guy to collect a toolbox full of DAWs, I just want to make some music.  

2017/12/13 01:03:59
Ruben
mkerl

Unfortunately that didn't work on my system at the first attempt. I had to reinstall my Quadcape Interface after installing Samp to have them available. Don't know, like a little diva, a bit uptight :) 
But after all, I have decided to stay with sonar and have  fun with S1. Maybe someday I have to look again for a DAW with surround sound support. But for now, Sonar does it. I'm not the guy to collect a toolbox full of DAWs, I just want to make some music. 

Actually you don't have to uninstall the Magix driver - I didn't and configured Sonar to use the drivers for my interface. Open Sonar and go to Preferences->Audio->Devices. In the window you can untick the Magix drivers and tick the drivers you want Sonar to use. As you can see in my screen shot, I have Sonar using the Echo Layla drivers and the Magix driver is disabled. And Sonar works fine like this.

You can do the same thing in Samplitude - set it to use other drivers rather than the Magix driver... that's also how I have Samp set up here. In Samp, go to System Options (or press Y), them Audio Setup. the first drop-down box will have a list of the audio interfaces on your system - just select your desired interface instead of the Magix drivers. As you can see, I have Samp set to also use the Echo Layla.

I wouldn't want a driver setup to cheat you out of trying Samplitude.  
2017/12/13 01:08:45
Ruben
mkerl

Actually you don't have to uninstall the Magix driver - I didn't and configured Sonar to use the drivers for my interface. Open Sonar and go to Preferences->Audio->Devices. In the window you can untick the Magix drivers and tick the drivers you want Sonar to use. As you can see in my screen shot, I have Sonar using the Echo Layla drivers and the Magix driver is disabled. And Sonar works fine like this:

2017/12/13 01:10:36
Ruben
You can do the same thing in Samplitude - set it to use other drivers rather than the Magix driver... that's also how I have Samp set up here. In Samp, go to System Options (or press Y), them Audio Setup. The first drop-down box will have a list of the audio interfaces on your system - just select your desired interface instead of the Magix drivers. As you can see, I have Samp set to also use the Echo Layla: 

I wouldn't want a driver setup to cheat you out of trying Samplitude.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account