• Software
  • Condolences and opportunities (p.3)
2017/12/10 00:07:22
abacab
SERecords
I don’t see support for Waves plugins with this DAW- can anyone confirm this?

There seems to be some conflicts/crashes with the Waves plugins and the JUCE plugin host, which has been confirmed by a Waves engineer.  Tracktion/Waveform uses JUCE.  They appear to be working it out.

From a thread in the Tracktion forum at KvR Audio (Waveform Problem Plugins):

Hey everyone. My name is Eyal Amir and I'm a software engineer at Waves.
More specifically, I was on the development team for Bass Slapper, so this topic is quite interesting to me.

I don't have Waveform/Tracktion installed here on my system, but I did compile the latest version of the JUCE plugin host, and noticed that indeed the plugin crashed when I used the Waves VST2 shell.

However - the plugin worked just fine when I used the Waves VST3 shell!

So, I probably need to debug here and see what the issue here. Other VST2 hosts that we normally try this plugin on (Ableton Live, Reaper and older versions of Cubase, for example) seems to be able to run it just fine. I wonder, what could be different about the JUCE plugin host that makes it different than any other host?

I will try investigating myself and let you know if I find anything or even manage to fix it on our end somehow.

Thanks!
Eyal

To which a Tracktion dev replied:
Thanks Eyal for taking a look!

Please do let me know if you need anything or NFRs etc. for Waveform. The plugin hosting in Waveform is very similar to the JUCE Plugin Host though so if you can get it working in there it's likely to work in Waveform too.

If there's any fixes or workarounds that can be done from our end (and the JUCE side too) please let us know. It's difficult to figure out exactly what's causing the crash deep in the plugin call stack.

Thanks again,
Dave

2017/12/10 00:13:00
SERecords
Great info- Thanks!
2017/12/10 14:17:37
degraal1
Thanks so much Woody.  - been with Sonar since v early days when Cakewalk just midi.  like the Ethos of how you guys managed to carry on, and develop, Traction. appreciate the spirit (and opportunity of your offer...  curious what will emerge as Sonar staff join you !!) 

Am planning my next steps and time when I can test Waveform :-)

Q's
1. "for a limited time". do you have a ball park of how long ?
2. do you have an ETA of Waves plugins fix for Waveform to work with Waves?
3. will Dimension Pro work with Waves

Christoffer

2017/12/10 14:52:29
abacab
degraal1

3. will Dimension Pro work with Waves

I'll assume that was a typo where you meant Dimension Pro with "Waveform".  The answer to that is yes.  All of my Cakewalk instruments work well in Waveform.
2017/12/10 23:15:05
degraal1

1 question down 2 to go.. :-)  

2017/12/10 23:19:04
cecelius2
I am considering getting the Tracktion Waveform Basic version primarliy because I like the midi pattern editor as demoed in some tutorial videos.  I already own Cubase Pro and Studio One 3.5 plus hundreds of excellent third party plugins-- so I don't really need the "DAW Essential" addon, nor the Biotek synth.

However, I need to know what the "Collective" is that is included with the Basic version.  I could not find out what the Collective actually is.

Also, does the Basic version come with any "libraries" or samples or loops?  Just want to know before I make this purchase.
2017/12/10 23:23:08
abacab
degraal1

1 question down 2 to go.. :-)  

For #1, just try the demo.  If you like it, don't wait around.  It's only $50. 

#2 is most likely over in Waves corner for now, until they figure out why their plugin is crashing the JUCE plugin host.

That is beyond the Tracktion devs control, as it is external to the DAW, and is a development platform.

If Waves can get that part fixed, it may then work in Waveform, or at least at that point gives Tracktion the possibility of accommodating the plugin.
2017/12/10 23:27:28
clintmartin
The few Waves plugins I own work fine in Waveform.
2017/12/10 23:40:08
abacab
cecelius2
I am considering getting the Tracktion Waveform Basic version primarliy because I like the midi pattern editor as demoed in some tutorial videos.  I already own Cubase Pro and Studio One 3.5 plus hundreds of excellent third party plugins-- so I don't really need the "DAW Essential" addon, nor the Biotek synth.

However, I need to know what the "Collective" is that is included with the Basic version.  I could not find out what the Collective actually is.

Also, does the Basic version come with any "libraries" or samples or loops?  Just want to know before I make this purchase.

The Waveform DAW is exactly the same in all bundle versions.  For $99 list, or $49.50 with the 'CAKEWALK"
discount, you get Tracktion’s Waveform DAW, Collective synth, Master Mix (Embedded), FM Synth (Embedded), Celemony Melodyne Essentials.  That is a great deal, the same price as a normal upgrade for past Tracktion owners.

The other bundles add the Biotek synth and the DAW essentials.  

If you already have some favorite soft synths, Collective is nothing special. Since this DAW is cross platform with Linux, Mac, and Windows, Collective is probably of most interest to Linux users (due to general lack of native synths).

Collective is a slimmed down version of Biotek, from the same developer.  It has 4 oscillators that you can assign to either virtual analog waveforms, or to samples, including user supplied ones.  It comes with a basic array of presets.  But I already have a hard drive full of synths and samplers, so I rarely bother with Collective.

Tracktion doesn't seem to offer their own sample or loop libraries, but the Waveform browser can make use of any that you have.  You can open as many browser windows as you like, and preview loops in all of them simultaneously, in sync.  When you hear what you like, you just drag the whole lot of them into the track arrangement and they are automatically assigned to new separate tracks.  How cool is that? 
2017/12/10 23:41:52
abacab
clintmartin
The few Waves plugins I own work fine in Waveform.

That's good to know but there is a long running thread over at KVR Audio forum about some that do not, so felt it was fair to give a heads up.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account