• Software
  • What's everybody switching to? (p.2)
2017/12/10 20:45:43
jyoung60
Reaper.  The price is right and the software has lots to offer, even though it doesn't appear that way first glance. For my requirements, it beats Studio One or Cubase, the two others I tested.  Waveform looked like a close one between it and Reaper, but it took me forever to figure out how to add a VSTi to tracks in Waveform.  The acid test for me is to start using a new DAW right of the box without looking at a manual; see how far I can get on my own.  Waveform took me the longest of the others I tested.

That being said, I'm using SONAR until I can't.  Learning Reaper in the meantime.
2017/12/10 20:52:23
jude77
jyoung60
The acid test for me is to start using a new DAW right of the box without looking at a manual; see how far I can get on my own. 

That's how I approached my search.  I don't do heavy midi editing or complex audio comping so I really just need get to the basic functions as quickly as possible.
2017/12/10 21:03:21
35mm
Cubase was my first choice but had issues with the UI in the demo. So I bought Studio One. Then the Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite crazy deal came along and I bought that. That has turned out to be great for me, and Studio One has turned out to be a pretty useless waste of money.
2017/12/10 21:06:46
anydmusic
jude77
jyoung60
The acid test for me is to start using a new DAW right of the box without looking at a manual; see how far I can get on my own. 

That's how I approached my search.  I don't do heavy midi editing or complex audio comping so I really just need get to the basic functions as quickly as possible.

I started with this approach then I hit a couple of things where I remembered the amount of time that I spent in the Sonar manual, not forgetting a copy of Sonar Power, to get them working. 

I agree that some things should be easy to do without the manual i.e. adding tracks, inserting effects, editing MIDI and Audio. A also accept that some things might require some reading of the manuals like setting up my external MIDI devices and adding a hardware controller. Things that I knew how to do in Sonar but were not actually that intuitive (IMHO).
2017/12/10 21:09:06
losguy
Studio One Pro 3 for the ARA integration (Melodyne). That's a must for my studio.

I was already sold on the features and reviews, but the way they reached out and made a special crossgrade offer just for us sealed the deal.

2017/12/10 21:28:27
Zargg
I ended up getting Studio One 3 Pro as my backup/way forward.
My priorities were ARA and Console 1 integration.
All the best.
2017/12/10 21:42:49
Geo524
Mixcraft 8 Professional.
2017/12/10 21:46:03
mdages
Crossgrade to Cubase Pro 9.5. Very nice deal and Cubase is one of the most complete DAW's affordable.
Not as intuitive in Gui and Workflow like Sonar, but with the best in terms of functionality.

Markus
2017/12/10 21:56:19
mkerl
I'll use Sonar as long as possible.  

I ' ll make use of the crossgrade offer for Studio one pro, just waiting for the message with Coupon code from Presonus.

Mixcraft 8 pro is interesting to me, too.

Cheers !
2017/12/10 22:02:15
RD9
I chose Cubase Pro and am happy with it.  The transition from Sonar was relatively easy but it did take a couple of days of intensive learning to get comfortable with it; There are a lot of great videos to assist you.  I also find I am more productive with Cubase but this is just a personal observation. 

Note:  I switched to Cubase after many years with Sonar instead of opting for the "Lifetime Membership" when it was first offered.  I wanted better MIDI editing than Sonar.  Also, something didn't feel right about the change in membership payment policy. Gibson seemed to be requiring more money for the promise of a future product.  Looking back on it, the change in policy was probably sounding the death knell for Sonar.  It is too bad Gibson didn't find a buyer though. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account