• Cakewalk Instruments
  • What is the proper way to install the EMU Proteus Pack after 32Bit and 64Bit D-Pro?
2014/01/19 20:52:38
Positively Charged
Hello:

I just bought Sonar X3 a week ago or so, and installed both 32 bit and 64 bit variants as a matter of best-practice.  I do this with Cubase too (my primary DAW) and his sister Nuendo too. I mostly only use 64 bit unless there is a very old 32 bit VST that is still needed.  In that case, I start up the 32 bit DAW, record the 32 bit VST part to a metronome or basic drum track, then freeze/bounce/print the 32 bit part it to a WAV for import later into the 64 bit DAW.

I see that D-Pro 1.5 comes in 32 and 64 bit flavors, so I want to install both, but I want to ensure that 32 bit VST (the DLL I mean) can only be seen by Sonar 32 bit, Cubase 32 bit, and Nuendo 32 bit and not by Sonar 64 bit, Cubase 64 bit, or Nuendo 64 bit.

Typically I use the trick of naming my Vstplugins folders differently so that the DLLs don't get confused between a 32 bit DAW and its 64 bit counterpart.  For example,

D:VST Library\Vstplugins\
D:VST Library\Vstplugins 64 bit\

Or some flavor of that.  This way where a VST has both 32 bit and 64 bit DLLs, I don't have to waste time futzing around trying to figure out why 32 bit DAW won't even register a plugin (that I later find out is a 64 bit plugin).  JBridge is good of course, but it's always better to run native if you can.

Question:  Is this a good strategy with Dimension Pro 1.5 and does it cause Sonar X3 any hiccups?

Question 2:  Are there any known issues with installing the EMU Proteus pack (6 disc installers from years ago) after installing D-Pro 1.5 and the so-called "1-3 Expansion Pack" that comes with Sonar X3 Producer?

Thanks in advance!
2014/01/19 21:10:58
scook
1. It should not be a problem. By default DimPro 32bit installs in a different directory than the 64bit version. Just make sure the appropriate path is added to the VST scanner.
2. The sequence of installing additional libraries to DimPro does not matter. It is possible however the location of the multisample and program files have changed since the installer for the DSF EMU Proteus pack was released. If the files end up in the wrong place relocate them to the appropriate directories. DimPro addons install into 2 directories mutlisamples and programs. Depending on which version of DimPro was installed first the default mutlisample directory could either be in
the 32 bit default location:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples
or
the 64bit default location:
c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples

There should only be one Multisample directory. The location of the Multisample directory is controlled by the registry entries:
32bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\dp "Multisamples Folder"
and
64bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp "Multisamples Folder"

The programs are always in c:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs
ProgramData is a hidden directory.
2014/01/20 01:22:48
Positively Charged
Okay, thanks.

I've un-hidden ProgramData.  I'll bear in mind the umm, shotgun blast that the installer might make, and will locate/move whatever to wherever it should be, then I'll test everything.

Thanks again!
2014/01/20 02:47:36
Positively Charged
Got it all working in standalone so far; thank you.  I don't foresee any trouble with VSTi.

Yeah, the EMU Proteus installers put everything on C: which is always bad practice in my opinion, especially now with so many of us with our C partitions on fast but small SSDs.  I moved the multisamples to an alternate SSD, changed the registry, and put the program files into ProgramData on C drive.

I really could have done the same thing with the program files and updated the registry again, but I just didn't feel like fighting Boston all over again.  And anymore I really only use D-Pro for idea generation, because I find the sounds to be so...how to say this gently..."dated".  Oh sure, they're emulated off of the EMU Proteus module(s), so they ARE dated.  But also the UI is becoming very hard to read and just as difficult to manipulate on a big monitor.

All in all, it's a nice little instrument and thank you to Cakewalk for keeping up with VSTi and for 64 bit of course.  I'll probably have this system for another 4-5 years, and now that D-Pro is available again, I'll use it.  But the writing is on the wall and I think this just may be the last time I'm going to install this Dim Pro 1.5.

2014/01/20 09:19:51
scook
In most cases registry changes can be avoided and files relocated using the DOS mklink command with the /d or /j switches. For example:

mklink /j c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples d:\DimPro\Multisamples

will create a pointer in the default multisample location to the physical location on another drive. This also takes care of old installers too.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account