2015/06/22 10:56:55
CedricM
Cakewalk should change the licensing of Sonar (or at the very least the biggest Sonar version, Platinum presently) to grant the right to one person to install and use Sonar on 2 or 3 computers.
Why ?
1. Main Desktop Daw
2. Laptop on the go
3. Tablet. Surface is absolutely great for music with touch. See Staffpad for example.
Nowadays, most people are on the go at least part of the time, it would make sense to be able to continue work on a laptop.

For the longest time (did not check recently), Microsoft always granted a right to 2 installs per packaged license. When I was responsible for licence purchases at my previous company a few years ago, part of our Microsoft enterprise licensing agreement enabled anybody to ask for a personal licence of the whole Office Suite through free registering to a portal.

With my Office 365 Family subscription, I can install to 5 computers. Even the personal version grants the rights to 1 computer install + 1 tablet install.

I hope this is something Cakewalk will consider. If not, make it super easy to purchase a separate limited license (e.g. that does not grant a right to discounted upgrade as the main license does) for a very low & affordable price. If I'm not mistaken, this type of supplemental license is not sold on the Cakewalk store.

NB I also like the flexibility of most iLock compatible software products that work as long as the iLock is plugged in.
2015/06/22 11:01:14
bapu
Cakewalk employees have always stated that you can install on multiple computers (that you own in your "studio") as long as you are the only user and that you are using only one computer at a time.

Solved.
2015/06/22 11:06:24
BobF
Excerpted from https://www.cakewalk.com/Register/FAQ

"If you have a second computer that you use on occasion, such as a personal laptop you use when away from your desktop, you may install the product on to the additional computer. You do not need to register the product again, simply use the same registration code tied to your account that has been generated for your unique serial number. Note that per the EULA, the software must only be running on one computer at a time unless you have purchased an additional license."

2015/06/22 12:11:40
CedricM
not what's written in the license agreement but it's great news.

I'll have to give it a try with command center on my laptop.

Fot those who tried no authorization problems with the 'external parts' such as Addictive Drum ?
2015/06/22 12:18:44
BobF
I wouldn't expect The Pastry Shoppe to have any say over 3rd party stuff.  My suggestion is to research each of those individually
2015/06/22 13:56:37
azslow3
BobF
Excerpted from https://www.cakewalk.com/Register/FAQ

"If you have a second computer that you use on occasion, such as a personal laptop you use when away from your desktop, you may install the product on to the additional computer. You do not need to register the product again, simply use the same registration code tied to your account that has been generated for your unique serial number. Note that per the EULA, the software must only be running on one computer at a time unless you have purchased an additional license."

I think that aspect really need some clarification. Let me explain my thoughts and worries.

On one side, CW was always using relaxing installation scheme. They have also confirmed several time in the forum that till you abuse the number of activations, it is ok to use Sonar on more then one computer. And I will say up to X3 that was the dial breaker for me and everything was clear.

The latest version is "calling home" for activation of particular computer. CW is still claiming relaxed activation, but this time they can really control it. So the statements in EULA and FAQ are more important now since CW is able to count your computers.

"If you have a second computer that you use on occasion..." can be interpreted as limiting to 2 only, one from them "on occasion". So you are not allowed to install let say on 4 computers or even on 2 which you use continuously, even in case they all are operated by you only.

But as known from CW answers in other threads, "... unless you have purchased an additional license." is not really possible till you either get completely separate account (so registering as independent person, no discounts, etc.) or you get "educational" license (also not what you really want as a single person).

I think some people can feel themselves in the "grey area" with that. On one side you physically can install and use Sonar on more than one computer on the other it is unclear when you start violate EULA.

2015/06/22 23:11:35
AT
I doubt if cakewalk is going to be cutting us off.  Their whole previous system was designed to keep people from buying a single program and selling the serial #.  Hence the necessary registration #.  If they see 4-5 copies on a serial they might notice.  The bakers are users, too, and understand multiple computers. 

On the other hand Gibson might be tightening up, tho I doubt there is much value in trying to dun your customers twice.
2015/06/24 03:01:08
mudgel
I know the thread says solved but I thought I'd add the definitive quote from Cakewalk themselves:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Register/FAQ. Quoted in part below.

"You can uninstall and re-install the software on your computer without having to worry about re-registering or being locked out of the software.

Per the End User License Agreement, your purchase of the software grants you the nonexclusive license to have one person use the software on one personal computer at a time. If you want to use the product on more than one personal computer at a time, or if you want to network the product, you must obtain separate licenses from Cakewalk.

If you have a second computer that you use on occasion, such as a personal laptop you use when away from your desktop, you may install the product on to the additional computer. You do not need to register the product again, simply use the same registration code tied to your account that has been generated for your unique serial number. Note that per the EULA, the software must only be running on one computer at a time unless you have purchased an additional license."

The defining words as often explained by Cakewalk staff are "one computer at a time". This means installed on several computers as long as only one is used at any one time."
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account