• Software
  • Selecting the best midi drum loops
2017/03/16 17:02:43
Starise
I'm no drummer, but I know what I like when I hear it. I'm looking into the idea of combining pop/rock/world drum loops for original compositions.

A few of my observations thus far have been less than positive. A software drum program will have an excellent drum engine, in fact, most of them do. Some of them have a decent starting pack of midi loops for the basic rocker.Most of them leave a lot to be desired though, at least for me.

There are a few 3rd party companies that sell drum loops as midi to put into your tracks. The problem here seems to be they need to be mapped to your kit. I might load a loop and it plays something different on my drum kit.

The obvious choice is AD2 since it's what comes with Sonar Platinum. I sampled some of those packs last evening. I did come across one or two packs I thought would be helpful.It doesn't seem like an all compassing selection though for what I want to do. I don't really want a lot of odd irregular stuff, just good well played loops that fit what I'm going for.

I'm wondering if there are other options. maybe I could buy some loops from somewhere else and map them to AD2. I'm not sure what's involved in doing that or if it can be done well. I have BFD2 and I looked at the upgrade. To me though. it all looks like the same game. Buy our drum program  to get what you really want, then buy all of our loops too, only loops aren't a one size fits all. Pretty much the contrary here.

I already have bread and butter loops in AD2. I'm looking for some kind of a universal way to use anything I might find and like in AD2 first, then maybe I would buy another program if the loops selection was hands down killer.

Open to suggestions or ideas. If you think you've found something better will you please explain why you believe it's better. What has worked for you?
2017/03/16 17:15:07
Mesh
This might be what you're looking for Tim: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezplayer-pro/

2017/03/16 18:17:42
dcumpian
Hey Tim,

I always program my own and find it a pretty satisfying part of what I do, but these are pretty good:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/index.php

Dan
2017/03/16 19:02:22
BassDaddy
Mesh has the right idea. Get EZ Player Pro and you won't even havt say the words drum map again. I can't get a link to you right now but check out EZ Player Pro video by Sub ID or Brad Bowman on youtube. Watch the layering and poltrhythym parts. Should be able to get it for around $30.00 or so. Work great with Addictive Drums and BFD. Any midi files work too.
2017/03/16 19:44:31
Mesh
Like these?

2017/03/16 21:30:12
Fleer
Bull's eye!
2017/03/16 21:50:53
pentimentosound
I never checked into EZ anything, since I'd already bought BFD2, Groove Agent2 (now 4), 3 or 4 Platinum Samples Kits for SD3 and a bunch for AD2. I will watch them just to see if it would aid me in my track arranging process. So,
Thanks, Mesh and BassDaddy!

Where is it $30? I'm seeing $49 but I've just started looking.....

@ Dan     Which ones do you have? Use often?
Thanks
Michael 
2017/03/16 23:20:53
MarioD
Another option is GrooveMonkee:  groovemonkee.com

There MIDI drum loops are available in many formats, include AD2.  If you buy a package from them you can get all the formats that you need.  I use their loops with EZPlayer Pro.

Good luck.

2017/03/17 12:57:57
Starise
Wow! Thanks guys . I want to give you all a great big hug ! ...OK no hugs, how about a big handshake and a pat on the back? Come on over. I'll buy the drinks.

I'm looking into this. COOL!

THANKS!
2017/03/17 13:22:21
Mesh
Starise
Wow! Thanks guys . I want to give you all a great big hug ! ...OK no hugs, how about a big handshake and a pat on the back? Come on over. I'll buy the drinks.

I'm looking into this. COOL!

THANKS!

Whooaaaaahh there big boy..........EZ with the huggy stuff!!

@Michael: Sweetwater has it for $39.....not sure if it might be cheaper elsewhere.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account