• Software
  • Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (p.7)
2017/11/26 05:12:27
mosspa
michael diemer
John, I'm glad that Mixcraft works well for you. It's a very individual thing, however. For me, since I learned on Sonar, I developed a workflow where staff view (for all instruments, not just one) and Event List became very important for me. It would be very hard for me to use a DAW that doesn't have these. Fortunately, Reaper has a great notation editor, and an event list that is identical to Sonar's, so it works for me. Cubase is probably the only other DAW that would work for me, but Reaper is fine so far.

Hi Michael,
Yes, I am aware that yours are very specific requirements which are not accommodated by Mixcraft.  My comment was not actually directed to your initial questions concerning the event editor and stave display.  Yours are pretty specific requirements that I'm not too sure are the kinds of things that people here are generally talking about when they discuss workflow problems in foreign DAWs.  I'm really not trying to hype Mixcraft.  My point was that in terms of general workflow, and that if Mixcraft has the capability, getting to and using it is incredibly transparent.  When I used Mixcraft for the first time I was 100% indoctrinated to Sonar, yet in that first session I immediately adapted to Mixcraft.  I was pretty aware of Mixcraft's limitations at that time, so I didn't try to do something I knew it was not capable of doing.  That was Mixcraft 4, however, and the gap between what it and Sonar can do has narrowed substantially, especially with Mixcraft 8.  From time to time, I've tried other DAWs for varying reasons, and never had my first experience with them been as satisfying and productive as my first time with Mixcraft.  I wasn't because Mixcraft was all that functionally similar to Sonar that the adaption was easy, it was because Mixcraft is so damned intuitive.  Yes, there is no question that Sonar is a more powerful DAW (when you restrict the comparison to audio), but there is little that I think it currently couldn't accomplish if given a little help from third-party apps.  Clearly, Mixcraft wouldn't be a good choice for you because of your specific requirements, but when I think of the kinds of things I have experienced in moving from Sonar to other DAWs, my out of the box Mixcraft experience didn't have a downside that put a feature-use damper on the creative process, which is what I consider an impediment to workflow.  You can always choose to parse a DAW that doesn't have the features required in your workflow from migration consideration, but I hope that would be obvious before you decided to make the move.  It is another case, entirely, when the new DAW does support the feature, but it takes several hours or days to understand how it is implemented in the foreign environment.  That's where I believe Mixcraft excels. 
2017/11/26 05:41:22
AT
While we are on Melodyne, is it locked to Mixcraft?  SONAR Plat comes with the same or similar version of Melodyne and I did not install it, wanting to know whether it will be confused with the previous SONAR installation.
2017/11/26 12:45:43
dede
bitflipper
BTW, we specifically invited Acoustica to make this post so we could sticky it along with the Cubase pitch, so it does not violate the TOS.

BTW, Where's the CUBASE PITCH ?

Thanks

2017/11/26 13:40:49
musichoo
I already have Sonar, Studio one three and Reason 10. However I am curious that Mixcraft has a video editor. Please tell me more. Can I combine videos, cut and paste video? Combine pictures and videos? Visual effects?
This is something that most DAW cannot do.
2017/11/26 13:53:22
35mm
aconte22

35mm, Vintage Vibe:
My sincere apologies. My intentions were to share and introduce you to an alternative DAW for your future considerations. From 1993 to 2012, I lived, breathed and bled Cakewalk for 19 years. The last thing in the world that I would want to do is alienate Sonar users. Cakewalk and Greg Hendershott gave me a great opportunity and treated me wonderfully [while I was there and on my way out the door]. I feel compassion for the laid off Cakewalkers, once shared the same pain they are experiencing now, and am truly humbled. If I had to explain my posting frenzy, it was only because sometimes I feel that Mixcraft does not get the recognition it deserves. Not coincidentally enough, these are the same battles that we had been fighting for Cakewalk in the early 90’s. Truly amazing how things come full circle in life.

No problem. It's just that your first copy and paste posts in several threads seemed very spammy and opportunistic. In fairness, yourself and your colleague have at least been interacting with the community here since and answering questions which is helpful. No other DAW companies have done that. They just seem to have left a promise of an offer then pegged it leaving a barrage of unanswered questions :)
2017/11/27 02:36:13
SimpleM
35mm
aconte22

35mm, Vintage Vibe:
My sincere apologies. My intentions were to share and introduce you to an alternative DAW for your future considerations. From 1993 to 2012, I lived, breathed and bled Cakewalk for 19 years. The last thing in the world that I would want to do is alienate Sonar users. Cakewalk and Greg Hendershott gave me a great opportunity and treated me wonderfully [while I was there and on my way out the door]. I feel compassion for the laid off Cakewalkers, once shared the same pain they are experiencing now, and am truly humbled. If I had to explain my posting frenzy, it was only because sometimes I feel that Mixcraft does not get the recognition it deserves. Not coincidentally enough, these are the same battles that we had been fighting for Cakewalk in the early 90’s. Truly amazing how things come full circle in life.

No problem. It's just that your first copy and paste posts in several threads seemed very spammy and opportunistic. In fairness, yourself and your colleague have at least been interacting with the community here since and answering questions which is helpful. No other DAW companies have done that. They just seem to have left a promise of an offer then pegged it leaving a barrage of unanswered questions :)

Your initial ire and vitriol made sense but I am really digging the responses from the AMC team.

I am liking Mixcraft so far, the software and the developers both... 

It all has that early Cake vibe that helped fuel my fight from the mid 90s to mid 2000s to churn out well-paying professional work on par with or exceeding the quality of the work being done by my PT colleagues while I was using software they called a "toy".
2017/11/27 08:33:08
soens
Trying it out tonight. So far it's pretty slick but not sure if I can beat the Sunday night $99 deal deadline.

Someone said the GUI was kinda cartoonish. Nicely, all the GUI files are in a folder (mixrez) and can be repainted like Sonar's. So custom themes can be made for it.

Has Multidock style views. Big + is the Docked views can be displayed on a separate monitor.

Clips have their own play, mute, loop buttons. Very handy for editing.

MIDI editing is probably not up to Sonar but I haven't got that far yet.

Has cool MIDI Learn button for setting up your controller. Just did mine (transport only controller) and couldn't have been any easier. The missing Stop button means I have to use the controller's Play button for Play & Pause. No RTZ button.

A CON is the Time Ruler only displays Beats or Time, not both. Worse yet it affects both the Ruler and the Now Time. I like to have them showing opposite stats.

Only glitch I'm noticing so far is the softsynths tend to freeze up while playing them with the QWERTY keys.
When played with a controller the latency is very noticeable. Haven't seen how to adjust that if you can.
2017/11/27 14:56:10
aconte22
AT - Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio will find and use whatever VST3 version of Melodyne is installed on your computer.  It will open up inside Mixcraft 8's sound edit tab (you can dock or undock it). 
AT
While we are on Melodyne, is it locked to Mixcraft?  SONAR Plat comes with the same or similar version of Melodyne and I did not install it, wanting to know whether it will be confused with the previous SONAR installation.

2017/11/27 15:52:09
z1812
Hi Aconte, Hi Aceric,

I have visited the Mixcraft site and cannot find any link to a cross grade or special price for Sonar users. Can you post a link to the Sonar cross-grade or special price?

Regards,

John
2017/11/27 17:01:48
aconte22
Hi John,
There will not be a cross grade or special price specifically for Sonar users on our store.  The $99 offer is for the public thru tomorrow. Just got off the phone with IT.  Go up there now to the store and you will see:
Click on the sale button and you will be taken to the cart with the coupon embedded into the transaction for a net $99 sale. We will keep this public thru tomorrow (Nov 28) until midnight. After that we are working on creating a special coupon to extend the $99 offer exclusively to Sonar users thru the holiday.  Details coming later this week.
z1812
Hi Aconte, Hi Aceric,

I have visited the Mixcraft site and cannot find any link to a cross grade or special price for Sonar users. Can you post a link to the Sonar cross-grade or special price?

Regards,

John

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account