• Software
  • Is the DAW market too crowded?
2017/12/05 20:12:29
VinylJunkie
With the loss of Sonar and many people looking for alternatives, it strikes me that the market is very overcrowded for what is essentially a niche product. We have the established big hitters and seemingly a wealth of smaller players all vying for market share. Now of course they all offer something different and all have their fans but then again so did Sonar.

So could Sonar be the first of many to bite the dust?

Discuss.

2017/12/05 20:17:14
batsbrew
JUST LIKE THE FAST FOOD HAMBURGER MARKET.....

all depends on how fine your ingredients are.
2017/12/05 20:43:34
TheSteven
Or like MDs how good your marketing is...
2017/12/05 22:37:40
pfossi
Bite your tongues! Don’t want this to happen again. Maybe I should drag out the old Fostex 8 track!
2017/12/05 23:19:11
abacab
VinylJunkie
With the loss of Sonar and many people looking for alternatives, it strikes me that the market is very overcrowded for what is essentially a niche product. We have the established big hitters and seemingly a wealth of smaller players all vying for market share. Now of course they all offer something different and all have their fans but then again so did Sonar.

Discuss.

My thoughts are basically to hitch your wagon to a horse that has the strength pull you through the next 10 years, at least.  That would mean choose a primary DAW with a strong company that has a leading market share and a respectable balance sheet, and a workflow that fits with your needs. 

Save the niche players for use as secondary DAWs, as there are certainly a lot of interesting ones out there!  

But I agree, there is no telling how long the smaller players will stand long term...
2017/12/06 00:50:50
june61944
We've talked about features and functionality in the sprint to plan B, but is there a general consensus about those outfits that potentially have the legs (and a diversified enough portfolio) to ensure some stability into the future?  I'm really tempted by the Samplitude Pro X3 offer right now but not sure how Magix stacks up against Presonus/Studio One Pro in the longevity area.

I'm a little concerned about the learning curve in Samp, too...
2017/12/06 03:41:01
cparmerlee
VinylJunkie

I'd say the parallel is web browsers.  Originally there was Mosaic->Netscape. It eventually gave way to Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari and a few others.

As big pieces of the browsers became public domain or GNU, we saw an explosion of browsers -- dozens, if not hundreds of them.

Anybody with a compiler could create their own browser in a matter of hours.  Because this could be done on the cheap, these browsers didn't necessarily "go out of business."  They simply had little to zero following.  The world decided these numerous products added nothing.

And that's basically where we are with DAWs IMHO.  Clearly there are some segments that have different priorities and requirements.  There is a professional studio or commercial producers segment.  They are willing to pay for a full function, reliable, robust product.  This seems to be Protools in the past and Cubase today.  StudioOne would like to be there, but will need a few more years of big investments to get there.

There is a hobbyist's segment.  Reaper is well positioned here.

And there is a live performer's segment.  Ableton is the big gorilla for this segment.

The rest of the DAWs will be searching for a reason to exist, IMHO.  Some of them have a good following (Logic, DP e.g.)  The others might was well disappear.

2017/12/06 03:44:52
cparmerlee
abacab
But I agree, there is no telling how long the smaller players will stand long term...

I agree.  Moreover, a company can practically go out of business simply by reducing or stopping their development.  The users may not see that for years.  Personally I have no interest in wasting my time with fringe players.  I use the DAW as a tool.  It isn't a religion.  I need the tools to work, today and tomorrow.  I invested a lot of effort in learning SONAR.  I have to do that again now.  I want this to the be the last time for me.
2017/12/06 05:08:12
denverdrummer
Yes, I've been saying this for some time.  What's even more amazing is that relatively new disruptors like Studio One and even more recent Bitwig have really found footing in this crowded market, but I think that's primarily because a lot of the standard DAW's were resting on their laurels and not innovating.

Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase aren't going anywhere.  They are too entrenched, and too many people are reliant on them.  So that leaves the table scraps for everyone else. 

The only thing that will keep the others going is trying to appeal to a broader audience and ensuring a healthy economic environment to produce future editions.

I do think Studio One has kind of gained ground as the home musicians recording app.  It's relative ease of use and drag and drop features are very appealing, and the fact that it can rely on Pre Sonus hardware to offset it from having to be profitable by itself.  It does severely lag behind competitors in certain areas, but their development cycles have been able to provide just enough to keep users engaged, and at the same time provided for a maintainable ecosystem and kept development costs in check.

Bitwig is a very interesting one.  I think they will mainly be a pain in Ableton's side for years to come, but they have thought outside the box a bit, and if they can continue to keep development costs low, and engage their already loyal fanbase, they should be able to keep going.

But the reality is, that anyone not named Pro Tools, Cubase or Logic, is potentially vulnerable.  Doesn't mean they are doomed, because nobody right now is going to unseat those three.  But it does mean staying profitable and staying competitive is a must.
2017/12/06 16:55:04
WallyG
pfossi
.....Maybe I should drag out the old Fostex 8 track!

Still have mine. Now where did I put that Amiga computer....

Walt
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account