• Software
  • Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? (p.2)
2017/12/08 03:57:51
Snehankur
cparmerlee
anydmusic
I think that it's because BIAB is easier to use so no learning curve and most users want the new styles so buy content rather than features.

And there is practically no competition for what BIAB does.  If you need that, the only real competition is last year's release.  Many people upgrade every 2 years or every 3 years.  I have historically upgraded every year, but their focus has meandered into the "real tracks" and I use BIAB mainly for the MIDI it can generate.  I am planning to skip this upgrade because there is practically nothing in it for MIDI users.

The user interface continues to be horrendous, especially for multiple monitors.  It comes across as a 1990-style program.  So I am not sure this is a business model to emulate.

There was a software called Jammer 6.
More intuitive. But the store is closed long back.
Regards
Snehankur
2017/12/08 07:50:58
mudgel
Snehankur
cparmerlee
anydmusic
I think that it's because BIAB is easier to use so no learning curve and most users want the new styles so buy content rather than features.

And there is practically no competition for what BIAB does.  If you need that, the only real competition is last year's release.  Many people upgrade every 2 years or every 3 years.  I have historically upgraded every year, but their focus has meandered into the "real tracks" and I use BIAB mainly for the MIDI it can generate.  I am planning to skip this upgrade because there is practically nothing in it for MIDI users.

The user interface continues to be horrendous, especially for multiple monitors.  It comes across as a 1990-style program.  So I am not sure this is a business model to emulate.

There was a software called Jammer 6.
More intuitive. But the store is closed long back.
Regards
Snehankur

Jammer by Soundtrek is still available. Store has never shut. Program is not being developed any further.

http://www.soundtrek.com/index.maint3.html
2017/12/08 08:12:00
Syphus
mudgel,

Jammer 6 is dead.  I have sent them emails (at one point) with no reply  . . .

I liked the program.   I actually use this program from time to time.  The link you supplied gives a "500 Server Error" - Unfortunately

Syphus
2017/12/08 08:23:26
Snehankur
Yes I tried for last 2 years to buy it.
No luck.

2017/12/08 10:19:01
anydmusic
Jammer and BIAB are very different to use. BIAB really scores well because it is so easy to get something that is ok really quickly especially for a song that has a simple verse chorus structure.

Where Jammer scores high, if you have the patience, is its ability to fine tune the parts it creates. When it works well this is much better than BIAB's cut and paste approach. Sometimes though it takes time to get it to work well.
2017/12/08 13:06:27
BobF
I struggled off/on with BiaB (mostly off) until I find got a handle on combining styles.  The first version I had was V9, way back when.  It is a bit disappointing to see the same clunky interface after all these years, BUT, this might be a clue to their survival.  From what I've seen, they have a single developer.  When new versions are released they are quite generous with counting up "new features".  Point is that they aren't making anywhere near the investment in ongoing dev work that the modern DAWs-writers are.

My only experience with Jammer was the version included with PA8 or 9.  Might've been a trial.  Whatever it was it constantly crashed.  In fact, my Jammer experience led me to BiaB.

As far as it being a toy goes, I guess that depends on how you use it.  It is fun to play with once in a while, but IMO, it is a very serious tool for songwriting.  Even if you never export or render anything out of it, BiaB makes it pretty easy to explore ideas that can be further developed by traditional means.
2017/12/08 13:34:31
pwalpwal
biab does not have the same kind of competition as sonar

also, i think dumbing down sonar was a back-assward attempt to attract uneducated lazy users
2017/12/08 13:35:10
pwalpwal
did biab lose the comic sans ui font yet?

2017/12/08 17:20:16
denverdrummer
pwalpwal
biab does not have the same kind of competition as sonar

also, i think dumbing down sonar was a back-assward attempt to attract uneducated lazy users

Just curious, but how do you think CW "dumbed down" Sonar?
2017/12/08 17:32:23
rj davis
Think the PGMusic model succeeds because they deliver significant additional sounds and functionality with their upgrades.  I upgrade because I want those new things.  Cakewalk did that as well, but I seldom felt like I HAD to have the things in the next version.  Just me.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account