• Software
  • Everyone should have more Character...and it's fairly cheap now
2012/10/27 16:52:39
yorolpal
Yup...It's me again Margret.  And I'm touting another plugin.  Don't faint or nothin.  I picked up the Noveltech Character plug from AudioDeluxe ($104) since it's on intro sale through Plugin Alliance.  I'd listened to some YouTube demos and was impressed enough to add it to my ARSEnal and see if it could measure up to my WAVES Aphex Aural Exciter...which is just dandy and which I dearly love.

And guess what?  No, go on, guess.

It kicks the Aphex's rusty butt all over the parkin lot and out into the street.  It's a must have IMHO.  Take that for whatever it's worth to ya.

I think you can download a fully functioning time limited demo...but you'd better hurry cause I think the intro price is only good till the end of the month...and Halloween is upon us.

2012/10/28 10:31:45
Bajan Blue
I've had this on my Powercore for a number of years - it is as good as you say - it does do something quite unique I feel and in a more acceptable way for me than most other "exciter" type plug ins
Nigel

2012/10/28 17:36:50
ohgrant
 Agree a must have and that's a great price. Just to let other powercore users know. PA gives 50% off to registered powercore version users but I think you have to buy it from PA to get that 50% off deal ..=$74 . Character  
I think Noveltech only makes 2 plug-ins  Character and Vocal Enhancer, they've announced a while back that it will be going native soon too. It's great on instruments and vocals. You may want to check it out when it's native. VE   Close to UAD's enhancer in sound but much easier/quicker to target the frequencies you want to polish
2012/10/28 17:41:22
Zo
Ol Pal i tried it as soon as it went native and wasn't impressed at all ...it's cool but nothing crazy even i think you can do the same with Saturn ......and i own aphex and aphex is really on  the midrange/ high area with character can handle the wohle bandwitch ....so not a fair comparison imho ...be sure to reallly really really match levels as each preset boost gain like 0.5db ...don't be fooled ....
2012/10/28 22:54:17
yorolpal
Agree..regarding Saturn.  Saturn is in a whole nother ballpark.  It is so flexible and allows so much control it's scary.  Love it.

But I still think that for the price Character is a heck of a plug in.  It makes almost everything sound better.  Quickly and easily. Again...YMMV.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/desertisland.htm

Even tho a bit dated our friends at SOS thought as much.:-)

2012/10/29 04:47:29
Jayo
I was doing a little research on Character, and ran across a gearslutz thread in which the original poster, who'd purchased it upon release, warned about the native version sounding nothing like the Powercore version. He came back to the same thread about seven weeks later to state that he'd been in touch with the Plugin Alliance staff. They apparently found the problem and fixed it in version 1.1. I've been running the demo. It sounds great. I'm off to buy. Thanks for the tip, yorolpal.
2012/10/29 13:31:47
yorolpal
Yup...the intial release wasn't quite up to snuff...but the new one definitely is.
2012/10/29 19:19:45
Zo
will retry it as i tried the firts release ....i heard also that the new one is more cpu heavy ...

i'm also waiting for Kusk clariphonic ...and make a decision ......
2012/10/29 20:03:45
ohgrant
 Both versions of Character are very light on CPU and DSP. Waves Aphex is a much bigger consumer on my system. The updated native version sounds exact to me now, I no longer really use the powered version
2012/10/29 20:27:13
Zo
thks for the info 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account