• Software
  • CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions (p.3)
2017/12/01 15:31:23
35mm
Amicus717
35mm
Amicus717
Does Elements work with control surfaces? I can't seem to find a way to get my MCU to work with it. I wonder if that functionality is saved for Artist and Pro...?

Yes it does. There's a multi-stage process in setting it up but it works well.

I'm guessing that means there is no existing template for the MCU? 

I set it up with my M-audio Projectmix and everything just worked - I set the PM up for Cubase. It took me a while to figure out how to set it up and was starting to think that Elements maybe didn't support external controllers.

I can't tell you the steps I used to set it up because I have now uninstalled Elements, but I think I had to set up the midi first and then I found somewhere else where I could set up a controller.
2017/12/01 16:19:50
mritenburg
I installed the Cubase Elements trial last night expecting to hate it based on feedback here.  I was hoping it would tip me over into Studio One which I have already tried and like quite a bit.

I found that I like Cubase way more than I expected.   I found it intuitive and easy to use.  The UI layout is very similar to Sonar.  The work flow also is quite similar.  I also found that I really like the sound of the Cubase processing  plugins.  I also easily used most of my Sonar plugins: LP EQ, LP MB, Zeta+, etc.   

To me, the entire Cubase experience feels more refined and smooth than Sonar.  I'm surprised I've never tried it before.

Unfortunately, being pleasantly surprised by Cubase has not made my decision any easier.

2017/12/01 16:23:16
JClosed
Amicus717
Does Elements work with control surfaces? I can't seem to find a way to get my MCU to work with it. I wonder if that functionality is saved for Artist and Pro...?

I really don't know about Elements, but I assume it should work. We are talking about the Mackie Unit right?

This is an old video, but it still works in Cubase 9.5 the same way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe5b-Wu8_5g

If this does not work for you, or you do not see the menu's, then I guess it won't work in Elements. I would be surprised if that is the case though.
2017/12/02 02:29:18
Amicus717
35mm
Amicus717

Yes it does. There's a multi-stage process in setting it up but it works well.

Figured it out! And yeah, does work well. 

Gotta say -- I'm very impressed with Elements. Cubase has a lot of differences from Sonar, but nonetheless I'm surprised how quickly I've begun feeling at home using it. And there are a lot of features I like, even in this stripped down Elements version. In particular, I really like dealing with midi in Cubase. Good midi tools, and I like how they are implemented, and I'm finding it very easy to figure out what I want to do.

Seems to me this is a very polished and mature program. 

2017/12/02 03:09:04
abacab
I'm thinking that the easy answer here is to take advantage of the limited-time half price crossgrade offer for Studio one Professional.  Then pick up Cubase Elements.  You will end up with a lot of DAW for ~$250. 
2017/12/02 03:17:42
Amicus717
abacab
I'm thinking that the easy answer here is to take advantage of the limited-time half price crossgrade offer for Studio one Professional.  Then pick up Cubase Elements.  You will end up with a lot of DAW for ~$250. 

lol. I can improve on that! And I was actually somewhat thinking along those lines -- I am almost entirely a midi guy, doing ITB orchestral stuff, and as long as I have robust midi tools and can mix it all down to audio, I'm pretty happy. I know Cubase Pro has a ton of useful stuff in it that I'd probably enjoy using, but Elements is pretty damn good for midi work on its own. I already have Cubase LE 5 (from a cheap interface I was running on my second system a few years ago) which qualifies me to upgrade it to Elements for the princely sum of $49. No e-licenser, no retail box, just half a c-note and I'm good to go. Kick $150 to Presonus and I got both for $200. :)

I'm actually quite surprised at how complete the midi toolset is in Elements. 
2017/12/02 03:23:15
abacab
Amicus717

I'm actually quite surprised at how complete the midi toolset is in Elements. 

Exactly!  I took the Elements demo earlier this year, as soon as 9.0 arrived.  I was very impressed with the Cubase Elements composition toolset.  The Arranger track and the chord track alone blows Sonar Platinum away as far as MIDI composition is concerned!!! 
2017/12/02 03:35:02
Amicus717
Although, I'm wondering if owing Sonar Plat, Samplitude Pro X3, Studio One 3, Reaper, Mixbus and Cubase Elements might start to look a little silly in my forum signature...heh
2017/12/02 03:37:53
abacab
Amicus717
Although, I'm wondering if owing Sonar Plat, Samplitude Pro X3, Studio One 3, Reaper, Mixbus and Cubase Elements might start to look a little silly in my forum signature...heh

Rawk on, LOL!!! 
2017/12/02 04:08:01
JonD
JohnEgan
... but I dont think I need or want anything too complex or have to totally reprogram my brains thinking process. LOL.

John, have you checked out Mixcraft?  Solid set of features, no bloat.  MIDI is fairly basic (compared to Sonar/Cubase), but probably enough for most users. 

Also, the GUI could definitely use a face-lift compared to the cool, refined GUIs of the competition... Still, it's worth a tryout.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account