2017/11/24 12:21:20
cclarry
And you get Galaxy X-FX Free as well
2017/11/24 18:50:19
ampfixer
I'm liking the demo, but there is an issue of terminology as Bit said earlier. It does a few things better than Sonar ever did. I inserted AD2 and proceeded to spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to assign individual outs for each drum. I was frustrated that it seemed so difficult, but then I noticed a little + on the main track. I clicked that and found that all the individual tracks had been inserted and routed automatically and then put inside the main folder.

I'm so sick of huge corporate entities that I will definitely be avoiding ANY of the big companies when looking for a new home. I'm looking for what Cakewalk used to be. The little guy that could.
2017/11/24 20:20:03
Whiskey Still
This looks like a great alternative for me.  Anyone know how long the $99 for special for Mixcraft 8 Pro lasts?

I'm heading out on a business trip tomorrow.  I'd like to try the demo out for the full 14-days, but figure the sale will be over before I'd get back next Friday.
2017/11/24 20:31:52
cclarry
I believe it's today only...but could be wrong
2017/11/24 20:36:04
backwoods
ampfixer

I'm so sick of huge corporate entities that I will definitely be avoiding ANY of the big companies when looking for a new home. I'm looking for what Cakewalk used to be. The little guy that could.

Same here. It reminds me quite a bit of P5v2 too which helps!
2017/11/24 22:10:52
soens
Dual screen capability has become a must. Sad that some of these alts don't allow it.
2017/11/24 22:32:40
telecharge
aconte22
...which is why you will see that the Loop Library asset management and Video editing are far superior than any other DAW on the market today. Mixcraft 8 is for real!

OK, I'm intrigued by this since it's a pain point for me. Care to elaborate? How does Mixcraft's Loop Library asset management stack up against Cubase's Media Bay?
2017/11/25 01:34:47
reginaldStjohn
So I tried Mixcraft 8 demo today.  I thought that it was ok. I was able to figure out how to do most stuff that I wanted. I inserted a couple of soft synths and messed around with the midi stuff. I also recorded a few audio tracks and did some "comping" and overdubs. I had their "manual" up but it seems a bit sparse so it was hard to find some things.  It seems like it is fairly capable and with more time with it I am sure it could do most of what I currently do in Sonar.

There were a few things that I couldn't figure out.  I couldn't get the play head to return to the previous location when you hit stop. Probably a setting somewhere that I didn't find. I couldn't figure out how to drag copy a midi note. I had to copy and paste or just add a new one in.  I did like that in the Midi editor screen that it showed the note value on the midi notes.  I also couldn't figure out how to select controllers and delete them.

On the audio side I was able to time stretch a clip, record several takes, do looping etc. I couldn't figure out how to do cross fades between takes in their lanes or how to select parts of overlapping takes. I could mute and unmute the clips but didn't know how to move the split point. When editing/timing audio clips I like to split them and then use the "alt-shift" to move the audio date around in the clip window rather then moving the whole clip. I couldn't figure a way to do this.

They also have the idea of a send track. It seems like a bus but one that is specifically for sends from tracks. When you add a send track knobs show up on all tracks to send to it kind of like a console. I don't really like that since most of the time I only want to send a few tracks to a bus, unless it is a global reverb, and the knobs on each track seem to clutter things up.

Finally, I couldn't seem to figure out how to route the tracks to anything else other then the "master" output.  I probably needed to add a bus or something else.

I am sure if you dig into this it would be a fine DAW and hopefully will keep getting developed.  The UI seems not quite as polished and as mentioned before a bit more "cartoony" for lack of a better word.

Just some more information for those looking into this.
2017/11/25 03:30:24
Amicus717
To get the play head to go back to your start position, click on the gear in the main toolbar, go to "interface" options, and click "Auto-rewind to start position when playback/recording ends". One detail: For me, this process does have an odd side effect, though -- when I select (or deselect) this option, it pushes all the faders on my MCU to 0. 
2017/11/25 05:27:18
kapelle
bitflipper
(even better, it's like SONAR's PRV at 8.5)

I keep reading stuff like this on this forum - am I not the only one who still loves and uses 8.5 and detests all the newer versions? I work in 8.5, then mix in X3 for VST3.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account