2017/11/25 16:17:58
emeraldsoul
Thanks for those posts, Kenny! Great work and very helpful.

Just for fun, here's your mixcraft, and then a couple o' pro tools. Notice any similarities?

Somebody went to the same design class as somebody.

cheers,
-Tom
2017/11/25 16:25:33
abacab
That looks like a pic of Ableton Live 9 Intro, rather than Mixcraft...
2017/11/25 16:32:06
ZincTrumpet
kennywtelejazz
ZincTrumpet
Thanks Kenny, useful information.

I am trying the demo of Mixcraft and I am finding it quite nice albeit I understand the comments from reginaldStjohn. It has come a long way since I tried version 5 but it's not as deep as Splat. Then again I might be missing something as I am only on day 2 of the demo.

Is it possible to do the equivalent of the CTRL-SHIFT drag thing in Sonar to stretch/shrink audio? I use this a lot to fine tune alignment of doubled tracks as VocalSync usually doesn't work as well as I would like.

I was also unable to find a way to route the output of a MIDI track to Harmony Evo inserted on an Audio track or to change an existing instrument track to not play an instrument but send its MIDI to a different track. Also I noticed that the drop down to enable MIDI input on the Harmony Evo (HE) UI is missing (there's no way I can see to select it). However, when I play my MIDI keyboard with the audio track selected HE does its thing and generates harmonies. 

The demo also did not pick up my full version of Melodyne Editor so it does not appear on the audio editor menu bar as shown in Kenny's post above or in the manual. 

I think that I have pretty much decided to stick with SPlat for now and pass on Mixcraft. I already have backups in place when I need them...Studio One Pro 3, Cubase Elements 9 (upgrade to 9.5 is £17) and Reaper. 

Hi Zinc Trumpet ,

I will answer what little bit I can ...
Yes , I get it it ,  leaving SONAR would be a tough one .
In all fairness a few hours trying out a demo , means theres only so much info about a new DAW that can be digested in such a small amount of time  ....

Yes you can Time stretch the audio using the exact method you mentioned ...in my screen captures there was a little double hand that is not showing ....
Yes, using Ctrl shift works just like in SONAR

first pic un-stretched audio

second pic , stretched audio , in this case the audio plays at a slower tempo 

third pic , shrunk audio , notice the time line  ...audio plays faster

If you are on a Mixcraft 8 demo , I have no idea if it will allow you to incorporate your melodyne or not ..
sorry I just don't know ...the Mixcraft forum may have the answer to that ....good luck

BTW, thanks for the kind words

Kenny

PS , Reapers time stretch ability while keeping pitch is with out equal 

Cheers Kenny, wow that was quick! I don't know how you do replies with screenshots so quickly.
Whenever I include screenshots it seems to take an age to capture them, edit them and upload them somewhere. Very kind of you to take the time to do it; I do appreciate your efforts.

You are quite correct and I haven't had enough time with Mixcraft to digest everything that it can do. I don't mean to sound negative towards it and I'm sure it will be a good fit for many people's workflow. Especially given it's cost at the moment; it must be considered a bargain. I guess with so many time-limited deals around I am just trying to quickly weigh up all the offerings vs what I already have and try to decide what if anything I should buy.

Doh, I never thought to try exactly the same key combo for the time stretch thing and you are quite correct. I just tried and it works just like SPlat :-)

I will have a look at the Mixcraft forums re the Melodyne and MIDI track redirection issues.

Thanks for the tip re Reaper which I must confess to owning for a long time and not really using much.

Thanks ZT
P.S. I'm also quite keen on the $25 upgrade for Tracktion Waveform just to get the composition tools without all of the other stuff that I don't need but maybe we need a separate thread for that (I see there's already one on t'other forum ;).
2017/11/25 16:51:38
emeraldsoul
Oh, I think you are right! I stole the wrong one out of Kenny's post . . . 

<shame mode on>
2017/11/25 17:03:53
cclarry
You can get the BOXED version at Musician's Friend and
get UVI Energy Synth FREE

http://www.musiciansfrien...n--box/j51183000000000
2017/11/25 18:51:03
Wookiee
Shame the Staff view is so limited, only one clip at a time, I was looking quite favourably at this, the support guy also did not know what ARA integration was.
2017/11/26 00:49:22
h3kke
Update, I realized some of the issues were due to my interface and Windows hating being set at 48 kHz.  I decided to give it some more time now. . . I kind of like it.
2017/11/26 01:43:42
bitflipper
After spending the last two days with Studio One, and liking it for the most part, I switched back to Mixcraft this afternoon to give it another go. This time I discovered a few new things that upped my estimation of this DAW.

One thing I didn't like initially was the lack of an fx bin in the track header. But surprise! It's an option. You can reorder the plugins, move or duplicate them from track to track, and click them to open the effect - just like I'm used to. Oddly, the one thing they forgot to include in the fx bin was bypass buttons.

I like the way you can apply automation nodes to multiple tracks at once.  S1 can do that, too, but not quite as elegantly. 

The PRV, as I've said before, feels comfortably familiar, even if not perfect (but so close). I still like the way S1 lets you plant a note and set its velocity in one move. I wish velocities could be adjusted in the main PRV pane like SONAR does. It's annoying that you can't actually close the PRV / Mixer window (click on the X button and they just revert to being docked to the main window).

Another feature that'll take SONAR users very little effort to figure out is the step sequencer (they call it the Step Editor).

I like plugin collections, which are comparable to plugin categories in SONAR. They are user-definable, so you can organize them any way you like. Create a collection of FabFilter plugins, a collection of compressors, a collection of vocal effects, or a collection of effects you only use on Tuesdays. These appear at the top of the effect selector menu, right under Recently Used.

But sadly, in the end I was once again reminded of why I shut down Mixcraft the other day in frustration: there does not appear to be any way to display/edit multiple MIDI tracks in the PRV (or in the score editor). If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear about it, because without such a feature this DAW can be of no use to me.

2017/11/26 02:03:06
mixmkr
bitflipper

But sadly, in the end I was once again reminded of why I shut down Mixcraft the other day in frustration: there does not appear to be any way to display/edit multiple MIDI tracks in the PRV (or in the score editor). If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear about it, because without such a feature this DAW can be of no use to me.

yeah that is a deal killer... I'm glad the chap spoke up in the other thread saying "F2 was your friend".  I like tight arrangements and people don't realize the simple stuff like lining up the kick and bass parts make a huge difference....not to mention a pile of other stuff.
2017/11/26 03:09:04
Whiskey Still
bitflipper 

That's my issue. Mixcraft looks like a great alternative, but I live in staff view with multiple tracks.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account