2017/11/26 05:42:38
BrianSzep
So I thought I would start a thread on my findings of figuring out the Cubase equivalent functions....
First off: Naming conventions This info is from a thread on the Steinberg forums. https://www.steinberg.net.../viewtopic.php?t=63245

A lot of things are called "VST" something - and you think it has to do with plugins - but doesn't.
VST connections, VST system link etc.
CUBASE    ======>        SONAR
VST connections ===> routings in any other daw. (Now Called Audio Connections in 9.5)
List Editor       ===>    is really midi list editor.
Track archives  ===>  track templates. (big one for us Sonar users) Cubase: with track or tracks and busses & FX selected in Cubase File\export\Selected Tracks        Recall: File\Import\Track Archive
Busses          ===>      inputs and outputs - who would have guessed.
Group channels ===> busses by convention.
Logical Editor   ===>  Midi Logical Editor (Sonar speak: Event Filter) as opposed to Project Logical Editor.
A recorded clip is audio event, and recorded midi clip is part with midi events. But audio events can be put into audio part as well.
More info: The Logical Editor runs as a function, filtering and transposing data as you describe - it's the closest thing to CAL scripting Cubase offers.  The Input Transformer, on the other hand, is pretty much an identical tool but runs in real-time as a MIDI Insert. (Thanks to Resort Records for this info).
VST instrument channels ===> Instrument Rack in another daw.
Sonar has a good approach and even what you call Instrument track in Cubase is made into a synth rack entry.
Channel Strip ===> Pro Channel

HTH,
Brian

PS
Updated Logical editor info!
2017/11/26 05:46:00
BrianSzep
Smart Tool
Put your pointer over your clip right-click and select the tool you want.
Not quite as slick as Sonars but works.

Brian
2017/11/26 05:46:56
BrianSzep
Multi - MIDI Windows

In Cubase Pro 9.5 it's under File\preferences\Editors\ (uncheck)Editor Content Follows Event Selection

Brian
2017/11/26 06:20:22
Kuusniemi
One thing I hear people complain about Cubase is the VST Blacklist which automatically bans some major player VST plugins.
2017/11/26 13:42:08
msorrels
I have a ton of VSTs (SONAR says I have 2455 plugins), and installed Cubase Pro 9.5 yesterday, its blacklist didn't include ANY real VSTs.  It did include all the support DLLs that various plugins use, which aren't actually VSTs at all.  And it won't do any 32-bit plugins (it blacklists them).  But it didn't blacklist anything "real".

Handy tip, if you see a bunch of iZotope DLLs on your blacklist, don't panic.  Every iZotope plugin consists of two DLL files.  One is the VST (which won't be blacklisted) and the other is a container/support DLL.  Those DLLs aren't VSTs and Cubase blacklists them.  SONAR also marks them as not VSTs and blacklists them too.  Example:

iZotope Alloy 2.dll  (is a VST, won't be blacklisted)
iZAlloy2.dll (is a support DLL will be blacklisted)

All the real iZotope plugins start with the full word iZotope.  All the support plugins just start with iZ.

I think the blacklist when first shipped did blacklist more products/etc, but it also supported 32bit plugins then too.  Cubase Pro 9.5 is different.
2017/11/26 15:53:57
Resonant Serpent
If you have VST 2 and 3 of the same plug installed, Cubase will usually blacklist the VST 2 version. 
2017/11/26 15:57:25
Kuusniemi
I have not experienced this as I don't use Cubase but at least one colleague has had alot of trouble with the blacklist.

Might similar toto people's experience with iloks. Personally have never had any trouble while others can't get them working at all.
2017/11/26 21:17:48
kitekrazy1
I have 4 machines with Sonar on them. I can shut one down and go to the other machine. With Cubase I need to remember I need my elicenser. Authorization is one of the top two concerns of mine.
2017/11/27 06:47:03
BrianSzep

Melodyne in Cubase and Nuendo

Linky: http://helpcenter.celemon...m4tour_daw_cubase.html
There have been lots of request for info about this! Long and short is that it does work just not as easily as Sonar, Studio One and Mixcraft 8

HTH, 
Brian
2017/11/27 06:47:14
BrianSzep

DUPE

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account