• Software
  • Totally "underwhelmed" by MIDI in both Reaper and Mixcraft!
2017/11/27 18:53:43
joden
Really convoluted, NOT intuitive and just downright awful to be honest...audio side seems fine though. I am going to try my licenced version of FL Studio now - have not used it for years, but maybe it's a bit of a "sleeper"
2017/11/27 19:02:34
martins guit
i really love doing midi in Sonar.. so simple
2017/11/27 19:03:02
THambrecht
If MIDI is important to you, you may take a look at Steinberg CUBASE.
The small version (Elements) for 99.- Euro has pretty much functions. Very similar to SONAR.
2017/11/27 19:26:22
joden
Thanks - I'll have a look, but I feel the Elements will not be enough, and the Cubase is way WAY over my budget.
2017/11/27 19:42:25
chuckebaby
I feel the same way Joden.
Midi has been awesome for me in Sonar. Im not looking forward to learning new midi editing techniques.

2017/11/27 19:47:48
denverdrummer
THambrecht
If MIDI is important to you, you may take a look at Steinberg CUBASE.
The small version (Elements) for 99.- Euro has pretty much functions. Very similar to SONAR.

Agreed.  I've used a ton of DAW's and for Windows platform Cubase is the only one in the same realm as Sonar, as both program's heritage comes from being software sequencers.  That maturity in it's product is clear.  Midi in everything else (including Pro Tools) is just a slapped on bandage that problems frequently appear.
2017/11/27 19:52:57
stratman70
I agree. I am all about midi........I used Mastertracks Pro before Sonar. Mastertracks Pro actually was very good for midi...But no comparison to Sonar. 
As I stated before, I really am confident that we will have a solution to the re authorize issue....
2017/11/28 05:40:03
Rasure
I decide to stick with Sonar in the end, but I noticed in Reaper you can actually type in your own Midi Clock PPQN. The default is 960 per quarter note, but in the settings you can type any value you want. 
2017/11/28 15:02:40
auto_da_fe
Midi is where I will fell the most pain.

I am going to try some midi in reaper over the next little while, but ultimately as a one man band, I need midi.

JR
2017/11/28 22:25:38
azslow3
Not sure about Mixcraft, but with Reaper... All set of existing modern VST MIDI processors should work and there is endless possibilities to create own when required.
I mean Sonar had CAL and MFX. Both so to say far from perfect at the framework level (may be that was ok 20 years ago) and long time not advanced.
For MIDI routing, I do not think there is something in Sonar which work better then in Reaper. Not forget about nasty clashing with Surfaces and Remote Control functionality in Sonar.
I can not say much about the editor yet. I have not found some "super features" recently added into Sonar and I have not managed to change note colors, but basic editing works and staff view (rather convenient to switch into) looks reasonable.

What exactly is "underwhelming"?

PS. In Reaper, almost everything is not intuitive at first. But even in default layout, once you learn where/what/how, it is possible to understand what is there, why it is there and how to operate it. It is logical. May be not with the logic particular person except, but logical. And finally, there is quite some flexibility in modifying things (instead of the claims "we have (re)defined it the way we think is better and you should adopt to that...").
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account