• Features & Ideas
  • Let's have a huge overhaul in automation/control surface mapping (p.2)
2015/05/29 19:47:38
BobF
AndyDavis
Although I do appreciate the effort you have put into developing and supporting AZ Control, I consider it a workaround for functionality that is badly broken in Sonar. My particular workaround is Automap.

I'd like Cakewalk to fix things so workarounds are not needed. They have such a wonderful core, it's distressing to see this sort of rot around the edges.

I would love for Cake to adopt az's work.  Work-arounds are fine but I always consider continuity to be equally as important as functionality.

I'm not interested in investing effort into something that might be obsolete the moment az is.
2015/05/30 02:44:11
azslow3
AndyDavis
Although I do appreciate the effort you have put into developing and supporting AZ Control, I consider it a workaround for functionality that is badly broken in Sonar. My particular workaround is Automap.

Automap is not a workaround, it is the (Novation) software driver for particular hardware. The same as (NI) Kontrol and (Akai) Advance. ACT (Technology, not "ACT MIDI plug-in") is a part of generic Control Surface integration schema from CakeWalk.

AZ Controller is an attempt to make generic and complete platform for any device. It is not a workaround. We do not call NI Komplete "a workaround" for Dimension Pro, Waves plug-ins a workaround for Sonitus and ProTools a workaround for Sonar...

I'd like Cakewalk to fix things so workarounds are not needed.

+1000

They have such a wonderful core, it's distressing to see this sort of rot around the edges.

The Control Surface approach CW has is not really wonderful. If you ask me, they have several design problems there.

BobF
I would love for Cake to adopt az's work.

Unlikely. For many reasons.

I'm not interested in investing effort into something that might be obsolete the moment az is.

Cakewalk, Roland and Tascam obsolete products relatively fast. And you have to pay for that products. But I understand that such companies do not disappear over night. It is possible to ask them to continue support, rework/resurrect something. Either you get what you are asking for is a different question. This thread is a good example how it works in practice
2015/05/30 11:21:29
AndyDavis
The problem is that Cakewalk's integration with hardware is very poorly done. That's the topic of the thread.

AZ and Automap address this problem differently, but you probably wouldn't have developed AZ and I probaby wouldn't use Automap if Controller integration worked well (or at all) in the first place. That's what I meant by workaround. It's not that either AZ or Automap are bad, it's that we really shouldn't need them at all.

All that said, I think that further discussion of either is a distraction from the topic of this thread.
2015/05/30 12:17:32
BobF
azslow3

Cakewalk, Roland and Tascam obsolete products relatively fast. And you have to pay for that products. But I understand that such companies do not disappear over night. It is possible to ask them to continue support, rework/resurrect something. Either you get what you are asking for is a different question. This thread is a good example how it works in practice

If your solution was offered for a fee by a reputable company with even a small chance as a going concern, I would be likely to adopt AZ.  As an individual with a closed source 'product', there is no chance for someone else to pick up where you leave off.

I'm sure you are a talented solution developer.  I'm sure AZ rocks.  I'm not interested until it becomes either, a) a commercial offering by a company larger than an individual, or b) an open source offering with a development team larger than a single person.

No, this thread is NOT a good example.  I really don't want to start dissing Ye Olde Pastry Shoppe, so I won't explain why I say that.

I just want a straight forward, simple to use implementation of protocols that are the defacto standards in the industry.

My other DAW does it VERY well.  There are other reasons not to prefer it though.  :)

2015/05/31 06:07:00
mudgel
I think it speaks volumes that Cakewalk have put all the data for Control Surfaces out into the public domain.

Let someone else develop the software, and while that's happened with Alexey, Cakewalk still need to do work at the back end to make it properly workable for anyone that does that. I can't see them spending the time to do it. I wish it were different
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account